200ci 1965 Mustang

This applies only to 200ci

CWT1129

Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 65’ mustang with 200 inline 6 and had a few questions. What headers do you prefer based on fitment and what size exhaust should I rum off it for deep sound? I know most headers run into the starter/alternator/linkage arm problem. As far as the exhaust goes. I have seen anywhere from 2” to 2 1/2” for mufflers. I plan to upgrade my carb to a 2v and change the distributor as well. Ty, Charles

Hi and welcome to the Ford Six forum CWT1129, Vintage Inlines has some other Headers, Mufflers in 2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2, Inch, and also some exhaust kits made for the Six powered Mustangs and Falcons. https://www.vintageinlines.com/exhaust?page=3
As for your question on sizes depends on the number of Mods you plan on and if you going with a Dual or Single system. Best wishes.

I guess the real question is what headers fit without alterations or are they all going to need some type?

All these Headers can fit however if you have an Air Conditioner then you will need to move the Compressor over a little about 1 1/4 inches with those Ebay headers that are a copy of the V.I. Shorties, its not that hard of a job. Though not absolutely necessary many will also go with a Mini Type Starter to help in the Fitment there as well as in the case of if ever the starter needs to be removed later on. The only direct bolt on one's is the late Ford Six 2 Inch Outlet Cast Iron High Flow manifold or the Aussie Speed Cast Iron manifold.

No A/C. What size exhaust is recommended for the 200 inline 6? Like i have said, I have seen no more than 2” for pipes and I have seen guys with 2 1/2”. The 2 1/2 flowmasters and magaflowes sound great.

Planning on a dual coming off dual outlet headers. Some headers have 2” collectors and others have 2 1/2”. I also wonder if an X pipe is needed coming off the downpipes?

An H or X Pipe is the proven working tech adding better low end Torque with a X being the best of the two so yes if you want the best system. For a Duel System a 1 7/8 or 2 Inch is able to handle all the Flow requirements of any 200 mildly built Six.

Yes in my OPIN they sound very good there are some sound clips somewhere with the Classic / Vintage Lines Mustang Duel Imposter & Arvinode systems these are made by the same company that Ford used for their 1965 & 1966 Mustang GT's Arvinode system. They also have a 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 Inch System. Just so you know a 2 inch system can support an engine with up to 250 RWHP and a 2 1/4 will handle up to 300 RWHP. So are you planning on going with a Turbo system too? There were lots of sounds clips of the Six Cylinder Fords on YouTube so you might do some searches' to see if you can find what you would like. Good luck I also moved your posts since they were question's, over into the Small Six Performance Forum that way many more site members will see them. Edited

I bought my 6-into-2 headers from Vintage Inlines for my '66 and am happy with them. They weren't expensive, fit well, and look great. I had them make up a 2.25" single exhaust for me and that is also working well and sounds great (deep tone). I trimmed about 4" to get the fit that I wanted. However, I did wait about 2 months or so for the exhaust. I have some pics of the headers in my build thread.

Why the single exhaust? I wanted the "sleeper" look.

Thanks! I see the Ebay collect 1-2-3 and 4-5-6. Does that make a difference compared to the SD which collect 1-4-6 and 2-3-5? Also, Distric, did u run into any issues installing the Ebay ones?

Back