All Small Six Large Log Head Questions

This relates to all small sixes
Get one of my DS11 distributor & get a MSD 6425 ignition box with a MSD Blaster 2 coil.
I question the Holley Sniper.
A lot of the big six forum had problems with the Sniper.

Last edited:
Get one of my DS11 distributor & get a MSD 6425 ignition box with a MSD Blaster 2 coil.
I question the Holley Sniper.
A lot of the big six forum had problems with the Sniper.
I appreciate it but I’m already invested in this thing. I’ll adjust if necessary after I get it running.

This is actually great because it made me think that I was very off in my measurement. Assuming that the standard dtp clearance is .030 (as stated above) and knowing that I have replacement pistons which likely lower the piston, I might expect such a number.

When I use .045 in the compression calculator with the rest of my numbers, I end up with 9.32 which is exactly where I want to be. If I am off a little bit - say I am at 0.30 - then I am at 9.67. This range works fine for my build. I think I can run with my NOS valve gasket and have a happy little six about 200ish hp.
I agree- your compression is still strong either way, even if quench may not be "ideal". Knowing the CH is good data to have once the character of the engine is revealed when in operation, and is valuable for future build reference. As you've found using the compression calculator, changes in CH alter compression quite a bit, especially as that # nears 0. . . I'd still try to be sure I knew the accurate CH before buttoning 'er up.

Before you put the head on make sure that you check the timing marks on the damper are correct.
Make sure that you save the old cam spacer and pin or get new, the new cam will not have any. The cam spacer goes on the cam with the inside bevel toward the cam journal and then the pin gets push in , install cam using long bolt as handle then the 2 hole cam thrust plate with bolts, and then the sprocket, washer and cam bolt. Of course the chain, cam, and crank sprocket need the the timing marks lined up while sliding them on together with the piston at tdc. Then degree the cam.

Back