All Small Six Clarification on Late Model Large Log

This relates to all small sixes

MustangDadDrake

Supporter 2021
Question: is the best large log cylinder head between 1978 and 1980, for our 200 blocks.

I have read the tech articles and browsed the Internet old posts and consulted the manual but I’m getting some conflicting information.

Some posts say 1972 and up. The tech section says after 1977(does that include 1977?). The manual says casting # D7 (1977).

There is a 1977 maverick in my local salvage yard. I want to pull the head or would I be better off waiting for a 1978+?

Any of the large log heads made from 1969 up are good, the best by a small margin is the 1981 to 1983 they will have the largest logs you can see that info in the old classic inlines tech section. So if you can find the newest heads for a reasonable price get them. Yes the 1977 is also a very good head in my opinion there isn’t much if any difference between it and a 1978 head. Best of luck.

Thanks for the feedback I trust you bubba, never been to a pick your part before, should be a fun time. I’ll let you know how it goes.

MustangDadDrake, great LOL, yes it can be lots of fun going there. I used to go to the Pick A Parts near were I lived in SoCal area they were a favored place to go see what they had that could be used on my projects. Good luck in the hunt.

... a few references for comparison of small block six heads for clarification:

they are not clear of the '75 - '76 genre, try to check the 77's head for casting number, may be D6xx or been swapped.

D7xx head should have the slightly larger valves and hardened seats FWIH . Any of the 62 cc chamber heads are usable and accept larger valves.

hav e fun

Consider future plans.

Any D7 head will have the larger valves. Thats what you really want.

77+ heads will not accept the Offy triple carb setup. You will have to have the carb pads brazed to the log.

I found a set of 144 intake valves on ebay today for $40 shipped. 1.468 vs 1.388.

Easy to use those for a cheap increase in exhaust valve size.

Seller had two sets, I bought one set.

If interested, do a search for ford 144 intake valve.

If you want the best valves, go to vintageinlines.com
I believe Matt stocks the SI valves. They flow better.
Don't forget to backcut the intake valve with a 30 degree after lapping then in.

"...do a search...."
just like our referrals for "the Handbook", tech archive, we also keep it in the family (support them...they return it) we offer VI as Matt has assembled the best. Easy to stop in there 1st. Anything short OR long block & exhaust ! Just completed co-authorship ona book 4 the i6 too~
Check 'em out:
answers to problems too

Back