All Small Six Exhaust question

This relates to all small sixes

OreoKill3r4

Hello all,

So I have a 1966 Mustang with a 200 ci 6 originally out of a 78 Fairmont (not really critical info I guess, but just painting the picture). The guy I bought it from originally put a set of headers on it (maybe just one header is the correct verbiage? even though its 6 cylinders split into 2 pipes? Anyways). Not sure if this is the actual part that was put on but here is a link to the most accurate depiction I could find with a quick google search:

My main question is, is it better to run my 2 pipes separate as a "true dual" setup with 2 mufflers that are both "One in one out"? Or is it better to run the 2 into one muffler that is a "Two in two out"? In all aspects other than price. So, sound quality and engine breathability or flow, etc?

The eventual goal later on down the road is to install a couple exhaust cutouts for the occasional times I want full straight pipe sound. Currently that header is the only thing installed, with those little pipe extensions that get the end of the pipes just barely past the threshold of the firewall. Needless to say its pretty loud.

Thanks in advance,
A guy who's ears occasionally ring after a long drive.

IMO just combine the two outlets, feed into a single turbo muffler of no less than 57mm, then a tailpipe right to the bumper, this will give low back pressure and be reasonably quiet, and low cost. Doing a full split like a Jaguar is great when they have 6 exhaust ports, your six does not, it will cost more and be louder, and have no better performance. Loud seems ok for a while, but you soon get tired of it.

'61 250 Comet has true long tube dual exhaust with two quieter-glaspacs 'Smithy" mufflers for no-drone and an obvious low tone. '63 170 Wagon has same longtube Hookers' but with two OEM Falcon six mufflers for moderated sound and no in-cabin effects' at 1/2 the muffler restriction. Mini-mall parts stores 2" pre-bend/angles are most available, exh. shop bend system is another option.

any install - suggest install with flex-pipe sections and SS 'band clamps' at strategic Remove/Reinstall positions for later exh. and other underbody work...

earlier trad' CUTOUT setup : Dual out Hooker longtube into two glasspacs - then combined into cable-operated dump valve open to side OR closed into a third glaspac at OEM rear location. Open-side out dual glaspacs were loud and raspy but closed-out the third glaspac' was better ...
. . . .

late model HiPO's have adjustable elec. cutouts/bypass to adjust the exhaust EQ to taste ...

Hello all,

So I have a 1966 Mustang with a 200 ci 6 originally out of a 78 Fairmont (not really critical info I guess, but just painting the picture). The guy I bought it from originally put a set of headers on it (maybe just one header is the correct verbiage? even though its 6 cylinders split into 2 pipes? Anyways). Not sure if this is the actual part that was put on but here is a link to the most accurate depiction I could find with a quick google search:

My main question is, is it better to run my 2 pipes separate as a "true dual" setup with 2 mufflers that are both "One in one out"? Or is it better to run the 2 into one muffler that is a "Two in two out"? In all aspects other than price. So, sound quality and engine breathability or flow, etc?

The eventual goal later on down the road is to install a couple exhaust cutouts for the occasional times I want full straight pipe sound. Currently that header is the only thing installed, with those little pipe extensions that get the end of the pipes just barely past the threshold of the firewall. Needless to say its pretty loud.

Thanks in advance,
A guy who's ears occasionally ring after a long drive.
As aussi7mains said in post two- a single muffler/ single outlet is simpler, will sound AND flow better than duals. His advice to run the pipe straight out the back will greatly diminish in-cab noise, even with a louder muffler. A single 2 1/4" pipe and 2 1/4" muffler- the best flow and smooth sound.

I used a 2 1/4" pipe with a muffler straight out the back on my Mustang using the VI headers. I think it's great and was a huge boost from the old stock setup.

Back