All Small Six Help with Exhaust Manifold/Headers

This relates to all small sixes
The Vintage Inlines header single or dual is $495.00.
The Vintage Inlines 1/4" drive Ford Street/Strip DUI Small Six 144/170 distributor is $399.00.
The DUI distributor requires less labor to install and it has less expensive associated parts required to install it than a header.
The DUI will provide more performance on a 144, 170, 200 than a header will on an engine with a 1/4" drive Load'O'Matic distributor.
The DUI will provide more horsepower per dollar than a header.
A header will provide more performance with a DUI distributor than it will with a Load'O'matic distributor.
It would be easy to spend more on an ebay header along with a new exhaust system than the DUI distributor costs. There also could be additional cost and labor correcting a # 6 tube to starter interference problem.
A DUI distributor will make a Vintage Inlines customer with 1/4" drive Load'O'Matic distributor more satisfied with their purchase than a header.
The California emissions 66 Mustang ran great with it's 1-3/4" exhaust system. It did not have a Load'O'matic distributor. It did not need a header to run great.
On a Facebook Ford fourum I recommended a DUI 1/4" drive distributor to person wanting more performance. He came back later asking why his 200 ran like a dog. He didn't follow my advice. He installed a header, new exhaust system along with a funnel 2V adapter with a Autolite 2 barrel. He had the Load'O'Matic vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum. It ran so bad he couldn't even drive it.
I once read a thread here that was a poll on whether a header was worth it on a stock small six. No majority of answers were "No".

The black cap DUI 1/4" distributor's part number is 39820-144BK.
**Each DUI Distributor is hand built to order with quality components and attention to detail. Due to our meticulous process, distributors are not available for immediate shipping and take time to produce. With added supply disruptions in raw materials, our current processing time averages 6-8 weeks from the time an order is received until it ships.**

("...Speak English..."
I yam)

"...U both say "this 3rd is no longer available"?..."
Ie:
the smaller dizzy bottom equipped is no longer available for the general public, bubba & 70_200?

(ie big box stores or other)?

("...talking in tongues..."
this is finger speak thru brain not the toung, larynx'n lips)
Hi Chad, there used to be those Bosch Electronic Distributors commonly available for a very reasonable cost (sometimes they were called the Aussie DuraSpark) that had the smaller Diameter Distributor Pilot end that would also fit into the USA early 1960 to 1964 Blocks they also used the 5/16 Inch Oil Pump Hex Drive a near perfect solution just add a 1965 Oil Pump and your good to go. I have looked several times recently but have not seen any offered on the Aussie Ebay site, at this time I don't know were else to hunt for them.

Chad. That sounds like Bronco music.
DUI goes a bit further than most companies by custom calibrating the distributor to your driving style. But the best part is the vacuum advance that hooks up directly to intake manifold vacuum.
DUI 170 Mustang.jpg
DRAGZINE
Upgrading to a DUI Distributor on Our ’65 Mustang 6 Cylinder

there used to be those Bosch Electronic Distributors commonly available for a very reasonable cost (sometimes they were called the Aussie DuraSpark) that had the smaller Diameter Distributor Pilot end that would also fit into the USA early 1960 to 1964 Blocks but it also used the 5/16 Inch Oil Pump Hex Drive a near perfect solution just add a 1965 Oil Pump and your good to go.
All gone now it appears. Shucks.

DUI Street/Strip Distributor
39820-144 (1/4" drive).
DUI-39820-200BK (5/16" drive)
• Custom calibrated timing curve for 87 octane operation
• Two wire connection (power and tach) with integrated coil
• 50,000 volts of spark energy
• Traditional vacuum advance that hooks to an intake manifold vacuum source. (This means it can be used with a Load'O'Matic carburetor if you plug the vacuum port on the carb.)

Hi Chad, there used to be those Bosch Electronic Distributors commonly available for a very reasonable cost (sometimes they were called the Aussie DuraSpark) that had the smaller Diameter Distributor Pilot end to fit the early 1960 to 1964 Blocks but it also used the 5/16 Inch Oil Pump Hex Drive a near perfect solution just add a 1965 Oil Pump and your good to go. I have looked several times recently but have not seen any offered on the Aussie Ebay site, at this time I don't know were else to hunt for them.
Try here;-https://dsmmotorsport.com.au/collections/ford-distributors/products/ford-6-250-2v-pursuit-6cyl-electronic-distributor-up-grade
I have a bosch electronic dizzy in my blown crossflow, its reliable and works just fine with boost and LPG, both of which require high output. You do need the matching coil and a power relay to make sure the supply voltage is above 11 volts. No ballast resistor is required.

Thank you aussie7mains, that is excellent info I am so glad to know that they still have them available!

Hi Chad, there used to be those Bosch Electronic Distributors commonly available for a very reasonable cost (sometimes they were called the Aussie DuraSpark) that had the smaller Diameter Distributor Pilot end to fit the early 1960 to 1964 Blocks but it also used the 5/16 Inch Oil Pump Hex Drive a near perfect solution just add a 1965 Oil Pump and your good to go. I have looked several times recently but have not seen any offered on the Aussie Ebay site, at this time I don't know were else to hunt for them.

The aust bosch ELECTRONIC (HEI type) distributors never had the dist spigot( that used a 5/16 drive)that was the same OD size as the usa 1/4" drive spigots
Left is 1/4"drive loadomatic =
11.5mm dia,

Next is 5/6" drive loado = 13.1mm dia

Far right is bosch electronic 5/16" drive used in mid 80's falcon 6 in australia =12.5mm dia (approx 40 thou larger dia than an early 1/4" drive spigot ... For those non metric minds)
Screenshot_20230514-083840.png

Last edited:

In looking at DSM Motorsport.com Listings for the Ford 6 Cylinder Distributors they show 3 Products​

The first two say they will suit all pre-cross flow type motors 188-200-221-250 ci engines. The last listing says this unit will suit all pre-cross flow type motors 144-170-188-200-221-250 ci engines. So to the best of my knowledge all the 144 Six's had a 1/4 inch Hex Oil Pump Drive and the Smaller Short Block Pilot Hole Diameter our early 170's (1961 to 1964) and 200 Six's (1963 1/2 to end of the 1964 Models) also had these same smaller Pilot and 1/4 inch Hex Oil Pump Drive sizes. I know that these Distributors would use the 5/16 inch Hex Drive and that's no problem since you can just swap in the 1965 Oil Pumps. These are made a little different too than the above picture of that Bosch Distributor Unit, so the question I now have is there one that can fit into those early Small Six Engines? We were told many years ago that they would and some site members here even acquired them.
Ford 6 250 2V Pursuit 6cyl Electronic Distributor Up-Grade
Ford 6 250 2V Pursuit 6cyl Electronic Distributor Up-Grade
Regular price$135.00
Ford 6 250 2V Pursuit 6cyl Electronic Distributor
Regular price$214.95
Regular price$214.95

Last edited:
stickie? Split by:
pre-'65 ?
'60 - 64 ?

"Ford 6 250 2V Pursuit 6cyl Electronic Distributor. This unit will suit all pre-cross flow type motors 144-170-188-200-221-250 ci engines"
When you add it to the shopping cart there is no option for a 1/4" drive.
Shipping is $75.00 to California
Holley claims to have a 144-170-200-250 distributor but that can't be true.

Hi rocklord, maybe but site member "aussie7mains" should know which one to use since he is using a Bosch Distributor in his.

Will any of the above distributors work in a 4.1L Crossflow?
As per my post above check crossflow dist shaft boss in the block to determine hole dia.

dont asssume the dist in there is correct as a lot of people( in aust) drop the orig bosch electrionic dists in and as its smaller dia will be running with 40 though shaft clearance .

....which will eventually flog out the dist bearings and oil pump gears as the end of dist shaft isn't supported

Last edited:
Back