So how does the 200 really stack up? (long)

no but for $50 you could build one yourself.

Heck my new header I am building has a total of $0 in it so far....just a hunk of scrap plate.

btw if you haven't built a turbo setup you can STFU ;)

Come on guys, play nice. As an engine builder, I have seen people end up on both ends of the spectrum.

If you read Linc's post, you will see just how inexpensive a fun project can be.

If you read about some other combos on the web, you can see how a guy could spend ten grand building a turbo setup with the best parts money can buy.

You can also be frugal and DIY most of the fab work and come out somewhere in the middle.

Kitabel, if you want to build with high end parts and want to spend less, then a SBC or SBF is the way to go. Popularity dictates price. There are more suppliers catering to those groups than the small Six. I don't like it but, that is just the way it is. Generaly speaking, you can buy twice part for half the price if you are building a SBC.

Personaly, I like the fact that I can build a car that is fun to drive and still get great MPG. After reading Linc's post and some of the others with turbos, it appears that a guy can build a combo that will get good MPG without getting into boost and still have some impressive HP numbers with your foot on the floor. It will have a little lag if economy is kept in the forefront, but it will scream. It can also be done without spending five to eight hundred dollars on pistons. It can also be done without spending a grand on a turbo. Tommy has showed us this. Read some of the post and then make your on descisions. Whatever descision you make, remember it is your opinion and don't try to tell someone they can't do something that they have already done. :LOL:

When you state an opinion as fact, you can and will probably get attacked.

OK, you guys can go back to playing. :LOL:

I only "paid" $100 for my turbo (took it as partial payment for my merkur when I sold it.

well I am off to go drop some pistons in the new motor and maybe grind a bit on this new head flange to get it to fit up and look nicer

turbo_fairlane_200":152ix539 said:
if you do a post search kitabel seems to be a bit of a troll.....I don't ever recall reading him having a six or even having an interest in one...

"Bit of a troll" Now there's and understatement if I ever seen one! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8) these days anyone can build belly button motors(V8's from the big three), and even many V6's and 4 bangers have alot of after market parts available from various manufacturers. but our sixes have classic inlines, and clifford only for the most part. for the rest we need to rely on our wits and ingenuity to make power from these engines.

kitabel; relax. this forum is a friendly place for people to come and share information and ideas. debates rarely get heated despite the varied personalities from around the world. for example, xecute and i often disagree on how to build an engine regarding what displacement to use, as well as other things, but overall we get along on the forum.

turbo_fairlane_200; the ford 302/5.0 block can handle more than 400hp, closer to 500hp in fact for the poor ones, and nearly 550hp for the good ones. our sixes practically need a nuclear detonation to kill them, and even then i think that the emp burst would be the only thing that affected the electronics. by the way, the real killer of engines isnt just horsepower, it is also rpm. an engine that can handle 500hp all day at say 6000 rpm, might split apart at 450hp at 7000 rpm.

There are so many assumptions made about the "start point" of anyone's endeavour.

A turbo setup would cost me in the thousands - off the cuff, I estimate $4500. I don't have a welder, plasma gear, other metal shop equipment, EFI credentials and outsourcing all of these requirements isn't cheap here. Also I am looking at it in terms of a 100% complete install, with everything fitted off to OEM or better standard.

Regards, Adam.

Back