please help decode C6DE 6015 B engine block

A

Anonymous

What previous owner had said was, "original engine with head from a falcon" I took this number from the block, below exhaust man. also has 5 freeze plugs.

C6 = 1966 block, thats about all i know
you also need the numbers off the head as well if you want to know what year that was.

Cool, what I need is a new vacum advance module and the autolite distributer tipped my interest to other things not being original. Thanks for the info.

Yes the numbers are from the engine in the car. Also do you know where I'll find the head cast #

The casting number on the intake is C9DE 6090 - M I s it possible that the car is a late year production '65 with a C6DE ('66) block. :unsure:: Does any of it make much difference.
I would also like to put on a dual-out header. Is anyone running a dual-out header with the stock type A/C. BIG compressor on top, alt on the bottom?

Yes on the block. I have a late 65 Mustang with the casting for a 66 engine. This was common for Ford to progress into the following year. Your head seems to be from a 1969 block. Could be from a 250.

Andrew

The C9 on the head indicates a 1969 engineering number, so it can't be original to your car. I'm guessing that at some point in the last 37 years, somebody replaced the engine.
It's possible that you might have a very late 65 with a 66 casting, but if you poke around you can also find some other codes that will tell you the month and the day that the block was cast. It will be a letter and two numbers. Compare that to the build date on your door tag. They should be close. It's improbable that a 65 with a June build date would have been held up to get an engine that had not yet been cast, for example.

It makes no difference unless you are doing a concours restoration.

That is the ever popular 69 "M" head with the flat-top log... makes a great donor for an Offy triple setup...

I had two of those at one time... sold them both...

It is off a 250... and it is a great head....

WOW..! You know I'm feelin' pretty good right about now. Thanks everyone. My original intention was to sell this little beauty and begin building a '69 BIG block/4 speed camaro. But the small investments I have made have given great returns. Ignitor re-wire, flamethrower and functional vacum advance. It's no tire-burner, BUT, it turns heads like a black mini-skirt, and it's as reliable as a pocket knife.

My ma purchased the car 8yrs ago in Flagstaff Az. It was the PO who mentioned the Falcon head. Being from a 250, does this produce a lower compression ratio for the 200 bore & stroke?

Jimbo65":2arih9hh said:
That is the ever popular 69 "M" head with the flat-top log... makes a great donor for an Offy triple setup...

Exactly why I bought one of yours except mine will get a trio of Weber 1Vs on home-made adapters. 8)

I ran the vin through a decoder:

Date: 15A Jan 15, '65

thanks again for the help everyone.

It is off a 250... and it is a great head....
I'm looking at buying a 1969 Mustang convertible and trying to find out if engine is original and what it is, such as size, V-6 or straight 6, etc. On engine 06DE 6015-AB. Any ideas?

I'm looking at buying a 1969 Mustang convertible and trying to find out if engine is original and what it is, such as size, V-6 or straight 6, etc. On engine 06DE 6015-AB. Any ideas?

You really should start your own new thread instead of reviving this 20-year-old one. But as far as the original engine in the 69, the VIN will tell you what engine originally came in it. Some of the 69s also had a partial VIN stamped on the engine - I don't recall exactly where but if you can find it and compare it with the car VIN, you'll know whether the engine came with the car.

Back