66 Bronco carburetor / distributor help

armypilot

Subscriber
I have a 1966 Bronco that has a 1968 block and a 1970 head. The engine looks to be newly remand, and never been started. After scratching my head trying to find what will work I might know why they never got it running in the last 30 years. The intake carburetor call diameter is one and three-quarter inches which was apparently changed by Ford I think in 1968 because it was originally one and a half inches. The date code on my distributor is 1965. I need to find a carburetor, spacer, and a carburetor that will work on this engine. I have found the carb spacers for the earlier carbs but not the ones for 1968 on. I also need to make sure that the current distributor work with a 1970 carb. I read this on a forum somewhere "Load-o- matic distributor was discontinued and the modern distributor was used. The old Load-o-matic needs to be matched with the proper carb with a special valve for its vacuum source. The modern distributor used a normal ported vacuum source on the carb."

I'm not sure what kind of car this engine came out of. It could've been a falcon or a Mustang or maybe even a bronco but I'm pretty sure it is a 170 because it only has three freeze plugs.

I believe I need an Autolite 1101 carb, but I am not sure on the bore dimension, if it is 1.5 or 1.75.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the engine numbers: Block - C8DE 6015-A Head - D0DE 9F20 Distributor - 1217 C 5JD

I am attaching pictures which hopefully will help.

Attachments

• IMG_6998.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6888.JPG
    IMG_6888.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6889.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6988.JPG
    IMG_6988.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6996.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6997.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
This link is helpful. I just typed in 'carb spacer' in the search bar.

Here’s what your spacer looks like. You need a carb for the 1-3/4” inlet, maybe an 1101. You can get an adapter for an 1100, but then there’s the SCV issue. IMG_1053.jpeg

Are you sure there isn't a freeze plug you missed? The four main bearings and three freeze plugs went away a few years before 1968 no matter what the displacement. The distributor pictured is a LOM requiring a SCV carb, I'd be looking for a slightly newer model with centrifugal as well as vacuum advance. The DuraSpark system is a reliable and popular option. I've still got points in mine, I like the nostalgia factor and I don't drive it enough to be worried about the very occasional maintenance. Anyway, with a non-SCV controlled distributor you can use any suitable carb you want. Check the tech archives here, the LOM explanation is excellent.

"...four main bearings and three freeze plugs went away a few years before 1968 no matter what the displacement."
AFAIK -
Ford continued the 4 main-3Freeze plug 170 into the 70's. I have a C8DE 170 / 3 Frz plug 4 Main' from a 1971 Maverick in the '63 Wagon.
'63 has a stock Maverick C8DE 170 block/cam with D7DE 70's 250 head milled @.070 and chamber matched to @ 48cc's by my machinist. This with the metal shim gasket yields <@ 9.5:1 CR (SCR?). Useful performance and decent mileage (on 91+ Octane).

... 'think the D8DE designation was also used on 7 Main - 5 freeze plug 200 engines.

have fun

"...four main bearings and three freeze plugs went away a few years before 1968 no matter what the displacement."
AFAIK -
Ford continued the 4 main-3Freeze plug 170 into the 70's. I have a C8DE 170 from a 1971 Maverick in the '63 Wagon.
'63 has a stock Maverick C8DE 170 block/cam with D7DE 70's 250 head milled @.070 and chamber matched to @ 48cc's by my machinist. This with the metal shim gasket yields <@ 9.5:1 CR (SCR?). Useful performance and decent mileage (on 91+ Octane).

... 'think the D8DE designation was also used on 7 Main - 5 freeze plug 200 engines.

have fun
My bad then. I thought all sixes were upgraded at the same time the 200 was. So, do the later four-main bearing engines keep the smaller distributor drive shaft diameter, and thus different distributors for those engines too?

again - afaik - the larger / later distributor hex shaft became standard with C6DE/1966 genre' small block six 170 and 200.
welcome corrections ...

Here’s what your spacer looks like. You need a carb for the 1-3/4” inlet, maybe an 1101. You can get an adapter for an 1100, but then there’s the SCV issue. View attachment 20418
I am going to order this adapter and put my 1100 on the large log. That way I don't have top worry about the distributor. Hopefully this will work.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 11.57.34 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 11.57.34 AM.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 3
I have a 1966 Bronco that has a 1968 block and a 1970 head. The engine looks to be newly remand, and never been started. After scratching my head trying to find what will work I might know why they never got it running in the last 30 years. The intake carburetor call diameter is one and three-quarter inches which was apparently changed by Ford I think in 1968 because it was originally one and a half inches. The date code on my distributor is 1965. I need to find a carburetor, spacer, and a carburetor that will work on this engine. I have found the carb spacers for the earlier carbs but not the ones for 1968 on. I also need to make sure that the current distributor work with a 1970 carb. I read this on a forum somewhere "Load-o- matic distributor was discontinued and the modern distributor was used. The old Load-o-matic needs to be matched with the proper carb with a special valve for its vacuum source. The modern distributor used a normal ported vacuum source on the carb."

I'm not sure what kind of car this engine came out of. It could've been a falcon or a Mustang or maybe even a bronco but I'm pretty sure it is a 170 because it only has three freeze plugs.

I believe I need an Autolite 1101 carb, but I am not sure on the bore dimension, if it is 1.5 or 1.75.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the engine numbers: Block - C8DE 6015-A Head - D0DE 9F20 Distributor - 1217 C 5JD

I am attaching pictures which hopefully will help.
You need to get rid of the loadamatic distributor.
You can get a points distributor from 68 & later,
The best option would get a DS11 distributor, but you will need an ignition box & a different coil.
This will be costly but would be the best.
Look at my DS11's for sale in the small six for sale section of this forum. Bill wsa111

Back