Blew 1024 head gasket

dj65falcon

I ran my wagon at the track and ran a 12 83@101. Then the head gasket went. When I was coming down the return lane. It was only producing 8 lb of boost. Air and fuel was 12 to 12.5. only thing I did on it was advanced camshaft by 4°. One of my buddies told me that could be the reason because. You're adding more pressure by advancing it so with 8 lb of boost it was too much. What do you guys think cuz. I'm going to take the cam gear and set it straight up.. thanks

The cam has a very long advertised duration so I'm surprised it gave you trouble with the intake lobe center at 107.

What is the static compression ratio?
What are you using for fuel?
Are you using an intercooler?
How much are you retarding the ignition timing?

When you advance the cam 4* the intake lobe should be 103, it has 9 5:1 comp. I was using 100 octane gas, no intercooler,the timing is set at 30* total. The msd box is retarding time 2* for every one pound of boost

Last edited:
The cam is considered neutral or straight up when the Intake lobe center is the same angular distance from TDC as the Exhaust lobe center.

If the cam has a Lobe Separation Angle of 110 degrees then it will be straight up if the exhaust and intake lobe centers are at 110 degrees before and after TDC.
The cam will be advanced 3 degrees if the intake lobe center is at 107 degrees ATDC.
If the intake lobe center is at 103 degrees the cam is advanced 7 degrees which is way too much.
At 103 degrees you are losing horsepower and raising the DCR too high.

If you go back in to change the cam timing please check and post the opening and closing .050" points for both the intake and exhaust to verify the cam specs.
I do not trust Clay Smith cams to get it right from past experience.

Last edited:
I will do that. Yeh I am going to send it back straight up. And you are right. Way to much cylinder pressure

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_133458846.jpg
    IMG_20211019_133458846.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Too much timing, way too lean, and not enough octane. You're lucky u just popped the headgasket. You should be running 11.6-11.9 at full load and full boost especially on 100 octane

Last edited:
Back