200ci I put a 200CID engine in my '73 Mercury Marquis

This applies only to 200ci

Mr. Highlander

Precursor
This is kind of an introductory post, as well, but I live in Denver, Colorado. I will start my story in September of 2022. I had a 1989 Lincoln Town Car that I was using as a daily driver. Some U-Haul truck tried to do a sudden U-turn (A bit of irony there...) in a busy street, and I was the victim that couldn't stop. By the way, my friend and me were fine, the Luxo-Boat saved us. I always loved the soft mushy ride of these cars, and their shear size. The latter proved life saving. So I set out trying to find another one for a good deal. I paid $2,800 for the Lincoln with 150,000 miles on it. So was hoping to find a good deal like that. So I found a 1973 Mercury Marquis in Grand Junction (200 or so miles away) for $3,500 with 110,000 miles. So my friend (same as above) and me drove to Grand Junction, and picked up the car. It was a great car, smooth reliable (Carburetor excepted). Until about a year and 27,000 miles later (July of '23) and when the transmission pump seal failed, the engine blew a head gasket, and gas became more expensive. So in a complicated month long ordeal involving a dud 460, re-headgasketing the 429 (ended burning oil after, and blew the HG again), and torque converter seal replacement that didn't work, I didn't know what to do. So I sat and thought about. changing the engine driveline. I needed something reliable, something with economy, and something with serviceability. Speed doesn't really appeal to me as long as I can do on the highway. I was going to look into an Inline 6.
The Beginning
I first needed to confirm it was going to fit with some modifications. After confirming the transmission cross member could be moved up to accomodate a C4 transmsission, I set on the search for an inline. I was looking for the 240 or 300 engine. I checked on Facebook market place, and I found a 200CID from a '65 Mustang. It had only 40,000 Miles on it, and was selling for $1000. The seller had a C4 transmission out of the 'stang too, but he sold it. So I found a C4 from a 81 Mustang with a CID in Laramie Wyoming, from a radiator shop, for only $350. It was described as "In working Condition". The engine seller was on the way down, so me and my friend (again, same one) picked them both up same day. I negotiated the engine down to $900, and the transmission down to $300. The cost of the negotiations were offset however, due to the fact that the bellhousing and torque converter would not bolt up. Ford decided to throw a wrench in the typical thinking process, and used a bigger pattern for 80-83. I ended up using a bellhousing and a remanufactured starter from a '78 Fairmont, and a remanufactured TC. Also I replaced the TC seal and the slip yoke seal. I also had to get a custom Aluminum driveshaft. That was nowhere near cheap.
The Process
First, I had to change the front coil springs. I wanted the same soft quishy ride. The OEM ones are rated at 470 Lb-per-inch. So I subtracted the 429 weight with the 200 weight. I got a difference of 270 Lb. I divided that by 2, (number of coil springs in the front), and got 135. I took that number off from 470 and got 335. So I had to find coil springs with a spring rate of 335 Lb-per-inch. After looking on Rock Auto, I found that Ford has one height and length of springs for their full sized cars. Compressed height is 12 inches, with a diameter of 4 inches. Only the rates change, depending on car. So by looking up a car an engine with a light engine (For example, 1972 Ford Custom with the 240 engine). They specified a spring rate of 318 without the heavy duty suspension. Close enough. A 240 is heavier than a 200, by quite a bit. But a Mercury Marquis is heavier than a Ford Custom (Longer wheelbase). So I thought it would compensate pretty well. Next on the agenda was finding a transmission mount. Again, this was pretty straight forward. I just found a mount that was used in a full sized Ford with a C4. I am sure the old transmission mount would do, but it was baked after 50 years. Some sources say that C4 mounting hole distance and C6 mounting hole distance are different. I can confirm this is not true. They are the same. The only difference between the mounts is the height, which is different. The shift linkage was different between the two transmissions however. The column shift trannys had the lever facing down, and the console shift was facing up. I just used some scrap aluminum to make an adapter between the two. It also doubled in making a mount for the ICM. The engine mounts were less straight forward. I had to experiment with these. I had a wild scheme about using 2 OEM 200CID Mustang mounts on each side. That didn't work to make a long story short. So after that failure, I looked at what Chrysler was doing in their cars. What made me look at them, was that their motor mounts were simple. So I make 4 brackets, 2 for each side. It worked beautifully.
Performance
I wanted (More like needed) to pep up the performance of the 200. The Load-O-Matic system seemed like a real boggy dog. So I kinda did the typical mod, and changed out the Autolite 1100 for a rebuilt RBS from a '73/'74 Gran Torino w/ 250 engine. Modified the air cleaner so it would fit on the carb. Also changed out the distributor out for a Duraspark II. To accommodate all the vacuum hosed, had to use expensive fittings from Advanced Auto. I used the oil pressure switch from the 429. I like using the lights. (I had replaced it one time before so it was relatively new). More on the temperature switch later...The exhaust manifold opening was pretty small at 1 3/4 inches. I wanted a little bit of more flow, So I got a 2 inch one off of EBay. I didn't need the dual exhaust. Just something simple. I changed the thermostat and the housing. I wanted to make things simple, so that a 1.5 inch diameter hose was used across the car. For the throttle cable, I bought one off Autozone, for a 1992-6 Ford F150/250. It was long, just what I needed. And it fit too! Amazing! Got to hand it to Ford for making it relatively simple. One thing that wasn't was the PCV valve. I had to add one, because they had to use the crankcase down pipe.
Getting it started
So it was time, after 2 months, after getting everything planned out, and installed (Suspention was a PITA, with replacing stuck ball joint and crusty rubber bushings). It was at the end of October, and we just got our first snow storm of the year. It was 20 degrees out, and I didn't put the muffler in yet. So I got it cranking and it finally started. Loud, loppy, but started. I noticed that the temp light came on. The folks at Autozone gave me the wrong temp light. So I got one that would turn on at 210 degrees from American Volt, here in Denver. Later that week, I got the cooling lines for the transmission in, the exhaust, and tranny filled. it was ready to rock and roll. I started it, and put it in gear, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. To my delight, the car started rolling, and I was off. I took it for a midnight spin. It drove great. Not bad for a $300 tranny, I must say! I drove it for a week. The biggest issue was the temp of the engine. The light kept turning on on the highway. It wouldn't over heat, but it would get hot. I finally tracked it down to the water pump. Almost 60 years of sitting isn't kind to a Water pump. The darn thing had more more rust than not. So after replacing it, it cools fine. No lights. Radiator is warm to touch, but not hot. Second issue was a hesitation. Autoline sent me a rusty carburetor. After rebuilding it, it runs fine.
Conclusion
After 2 weeks and over 1000 miles put on the car, I would call it a success. Under normal driving, the transmission shifts around 2000RPM. The engine can rev to 4000. Never tried any farther (Nor do I want to.) The Highway on ramp is interesting. The car goes 0-60 in 17-18 seconds. You kinda have to put in in first, go to 40, put it in second, rev it to 60 and rest is third. It isn't fast, but I don't care. Its still the comfortable luxo-boat that it once was. So I guess My question is, was it too much car for such a small engine? Give me your honest to goodness thoughts! I am happy that I put such an engine in. It gets 17 MPG on average! It was a challenge, but loved it. Here are some photos:
IMG_0577.jpgIMG_0569.jpgIMG_0571.jpgIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0572.jpgIMG_0573.jpgIMG_0574.jpgIMG_0575.jpgIMG_0576.jpg

Edit, Here is the parts list, and cars used in the search bar/parts taken off of.
1981 Ford Mustang; 200CID
Transmission
1978 Ford Fairmont; 200CID
Bell housing
Torque Converter
Starter
1976 Mercury Comet; 200CID
Distributor
Cap and Rotor
Ignition Control Module
1974 Ford Gran Torino; 250CID
Carburetor
1972 Ford Custom 500; 240CID
Transmission Mount
Front coil springs
1970 Ford Falcon; 200CID
Thermostat Housing
Thermostat
Ported Vacuum Switch
1965 Ford Mustang
Engine
1976 Cadillac Deville
Power Steering Pump
Carbon Canister
1972 Plymouth Valiant
Motor Mount
Parts code list 200cid engine
Engine: C5DE-6015-H
Transmission: E1DP-BA
Bell housing: D8BP-7976-AA
Torque converter: FM111
Distributor: D5DE-12127-UA
ICM: D6AB-12A199-A1B
Carburetor: D3OF-9510-CB
Ignition coil: D5AZ-12029-A
Ported vacuum switch: C6OZ-18476-B
Transmission mount: Anchor 2311
Motor Mount: Anchor 2265
Starter: D8BF-11001-CA
Water housing outlet: C8DZ-8592-B
Steering Pump: Cardone 20-6875
Vapor Canister: GM 17056542
Front Coil Springs: Mevotech SMS8302
Throttle Cable: CA-8681

Last edited:
My thoughts are that it isn't me that has to giggle when you drive it, that's all you and your opinion of your swap. If you're happy, that's the goal.

Interesting, as my Dad's '73 Mercury Marquis station wagon also got about 16 mpg in mixed driving. What a boat with a wonderful ride. I recall he watched the miles more than the fuel gauge, and at 300 it was time to fill it up with range to spare. Economy and power were big improvements after swapping the timing set for a '72 version with straight-up timing. Ah, memories. Glad you are making your own! :cool:

Mr. highlander, welcome!
I think the project is fantastic! Love it! My wife does too, told me to give you (y) Thanks for the details, too.

My thoughts are that it isn't me that has to giggle when you drive it, that's all you and your opinion of your swap. If you're happy, that's the goal.

Interesting, as my Dad's '73 Mercury Marquis station wagon also got about 16 mpg in mixed driving. What a boat with a wonderful ride. I recall he watched the miles more than the fuel gauge, and at 300 it was time to fill it up with range to spare. Economy and power were big improvements after swapping the timing set for a '72 version with straight-up timing. Ah, memories. Glad you are making your own! :cool:

Oh trust me, I giggle. And so do my passengers. Driving on I-70 in the mountains is a blast. 45 in second gear, near flooring it, and cars flying past? And then going 80 in third gear down hill, no throttle, passing other cars? It certainly is interesting. However, I still get 15MPG in the mountains, so I am happy. On open, flat highway, cruising at 60-75 is no problem. I can get 20MPG that way. The best I even got out of the 429 in open highway was 14. Best ever was 19MPG from Ponchas Springs to Denver, and that was mostly down hill. So an improvement.
Anyway, Yes, I am making lots of memories. Not something everyone my gets to do with an old car.
Mr. highlander, welcome!
I think the project is fantastic! Love it! My wife does too, told me to give you (y) Thanks for the details, too.
Thanks to you and your wife! I was a fun challenge. It was worth it to me because I love the car for sentimental reasons (Oh Nat, where are you?!) I had to show my home work! :D
Yes. It is
Serviceability baby!

great car, even better story, typical round here (altho we might have used the 4.9 efi).
The Q...? dont the industrial 3.3s push heavy combines / other stuff around? It's all in
"how fast do U wanna" get it done? Too fast = shorter life. I'd even drop the 4K revs by
500 as a no-go zone (altho w/mods the racers do well over that).
Wonderbar cable throttle/VC set up (simple, effective, not bad to look at)! RBS's a great idea (in
the ford made for the 250 displacement, no?) as there is oe equipment made for the C4
(kick dwn & tv cable). Mine is on ele choke. Thanks for that R E D color choice !
I got lost in the column v console lever discussion.
DSII also perfect.
I DO see an antique fuel pump, notan oil filter under the hood. Those always facinate me as
I never remember seein them in the day & they kinda show weirdly ("hun?... what?")

Thnx for the post, like to know whass s'up as you go along. Glad the adventure has included 'this friend'.
Lastly, thanks to Frank, we need all the women we can get round here.

I don’t rev it up fast, on-ramp distance is usually long enough I don’t have to go very fast. The US Government has to cater to the slower cars, i.e. the big rigs, VW Beetles and the ‘75 Granada w/ 250CID engine. Sounds good! I can definitely do that. It was mainly for experimental purposes. Yup, the RBS was made for the 250CID engines. Ford put them everything from the Maverick to the Gran Torinos for ‘70-‘74. Thanks for the paint compliment! I didn’t paint it, so I can’t take credit. Don’t worry, I will take a photo when it gets warm. The antique fuel pump is still sold. Rock Auto has them. Even AutoZone has them. Oil filter is a Fram.
I will continue with the updates! We can call my friend “B”. So far the transmission doesn’t like to go into gear when it’s really cold, like right now. It just needs to be put into neutral a couple times and then away she goes. Also fluid needs to be checked weekly. Engine doesn’t leak/burn. Never had to put a quart in. Got the car running for…2200 miles now. From 37,500 to 39,700 on the odometer. At 40,000 I am going to change oil. I got a Motorcraft FL1A ready, and Castrol conventional oil ready to use, along with zinc additives. Also got new plug wires on the way. I can hear the ignition in the radio under bridges. This morning it was 11 degrees and it started right up, thanks to the Duraspark II.

I love it ! i drive 5 miles to work each way never going over 35mph. i would love to drive that big boat to and from work everyday. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

I like it!
I have an old 170 complete with attached Fordomatic sitting under cover; it was given to me and was represented as needing overhauled. No doubt that is true. I occasionally have this perverse thought of going through it and stuffing it in my 85 F-150 which is my main runabout rig now that I am retired...

"...now that I am retired......"
avetar looks like farmin or hayin. One nevah retires from fhamin round dese pahts.

the 170 had bigger counter weights than the 200 (he's usin) so I'd 'go wid ya' there. Fordomatic? not sure
w/that thing just what to think. My 3.03 or '3 speed toploader' the typical circle track guys here (all 350 chebs no?)
want for the low weight and 500 HP durability (only use 2nd'n 3rd I think) may B its 1st'n 3rd (sounds like announcin a ball game) 8^ )

"...now that I am retired......"
avetar looks like farmin or hayin. One nevah retires from fhamin round dese pahts.
Oh, you got that right chad!

90% of my driving is putt-putting around the homestead or going the back roads to the thriving metropolis of Athol, Idaho every week or two, top speed 45 mph. Even going to the big cities of Sandpoint or Coeur d' Alene is all pretty much flatland driving, also no hills to Spokane.

I also have a 240 needing overhauled that is more likely to actually get done though, then the 300 can go into my Grandson's pickup (teenagers need that extra power 'ya know).

✔️

"... the thriving metropolis..."
it's part of the Great Nor'East Rust Belt
(Lawrence/Lowell, MA to Minniapolis, Minnesota)

Athol,+MA/@42.579926,-72.2157734,9z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x89e14434e22760bf:0x2237e9682bb0838b!8m2!3d42.5959329!4d-72.2267383!16zL20vMDFtOGZr?entry=ttu

✔️

"... the thriving metropolis..."
it's part of the Great Nor'East Rust Belt
(Lawrence/Lowell, MA to Minniapolis, Minnesota)

Athol,+MA/@42.579926,-72.2157734,9z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x89e14434e22760bf:0x2237e9682bb0838b!8m2!3d42.5959329!4d-72.2267383!16zL20vMDFtOGZr?entry=ttu
Nope.
IDAHO

Nope.
MASSACHUSSETTS
("...
it's part of the Great Nor'East Rust Belt...")

✔️

- -

I'm close whenever using I90, never been on Rt 95, I might.

Update:
Car is running very good. It starts up in the morning, and shuts off in the evening. Has almost 144,000 miles on it. Just did an oil change on 143,300. I tried the Wix 51773 filter (holds and extra quart, just to try and get the right amount (I was just adding the full 5 quarts*). I was not impressed. The anti-drainback valve didn't work too well. On start up after sitting for a couple hours, or in the morning, the oil light stayed on for 2-3 seconds. With the Motorcraft FL-1, it turning off immediately , or withing a fraction of a second, or even during cranking on occasion if it was warmed up. So I just went back to the FL-1.
One very apparent problem is the the car has a veracious appetite for Fuel Pumps. The new one that came with the engine decided to start to leak, into the fuel. I replaced it. So, now fast forward a couple days. I was driving on the Highway, and all the sudden the car started to sputter, and finally died. I was still rolling. So I roll onto the side, and I already know what the issue was. New mechanical fuel pumps are known for their horrific quality. This one was the worst of the worst. The pump lever broke off in my hand after taking it off the car. I called another another friend (We will call him O'Reilly lol). He goes to AutoZone and gets me a new pump. The mounting position for the fuel lines was wrong, So we had to go back and get some hoses. Long story short it was on the road. Fast forward again, 2 weeks (or so). Again, was driving on the highway. Fuel pump failed. Nothing external seemed to fail. Good thing I learned my lesson, and had one in the trunk. I replaced it in 10 minutes. On my 4th fuel pump in a month. Went through an unknown brand (I am thinking GMB), a Duralast (Neverlast), a Delphi, and am on a 2nd Delphi. I have another Delphi in the trunk, along with a Carter fuel pump. The folks at AutoZone love me. I have used every warranty on every fuel pump. I just wish OEMs were available.

*Decision to do so was based on experience. I (am) experimented(ing) on a coworker. He has a '16 Acura ILX with a 4.6 quart oil capacity. I always just add the full 5 quarts. No problems after 40,000 miles so I will say an extra 0.4-0.5 quarts will be fine.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.
Use this oil filter then you can do a 5qt. oil change. It also has the best anti-drain back valve.
Motorcraft FL-299

glad U found a filter U like (ears will tell, eyes will affirm).

R U putting the F. pump on upside dwn? Look arounf at the pic on here (may B "Tech Archive" too, top o’ this page, blue horrozontal line.
C “Carter Street or Strip’ blurb too.
PM or post back (4 more eyes)~

Back