1965 F100 Father and sons project with 240/300 Big 6

Hi jgregg13. Summerland is my Favourite Spot in the Okanagan. I leased a house on North Beach and my folks lived in Penticton for years. Think I'll run with the 240 then if we need to dig into it I'll evaluate. It actually tuns pretty good with propane power. I appreciate the offer and maybe rain check if needed. I drive a late model pickup with a Coyote. The world doesn't need us to build another V8. I'm really interested to see what we can achieve. Stay tuned for more.
We've probably met before as I've lived at North Beach for the last 45 years!

Hi pmuller9. I don't know who the manufacturer is that makes the turbo but, a local speed shop where I live sells a brand line called Performance World with a full catalogue of speed parts. The store here is called Mopac in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada.,
Turbo is a T3/T60.
Comp A/R = .60
Comp Inducer = 54.13mm
Comp Exducer = 70mm
Comp trim = 60
Exhaust Inducer = 65.2mm
Exhaust exducer = 56
Exhaust trim = 74
Turbine A/R = .82
Hi Will

A 54mm Comp Inducer will make power from 2000 to 5000 rpm when used on a 240 six.
The stock 240 head should have some port work done in the bowl area around the valve guide bosses to improve airflow for the upper end of the power band.
Because propane offers no seat lubrication, the head will need hard valve inserts installed for the exhaust valve seats.
If possible, have inserts installed for the intake valve seats also.

The cam profile should have a .050" intake duration of around 210 degrees with a 114 LSA.
Have a discussion with Jerry at Schneider cams for the camshaft.

If this is a dedicated propane engine, a flat top piston will give you around a 9.5 compression ratio for turbocharged propane.
The pistons are from the Ford 302 V8 assuming the 240 connecting rods have the .912" diameter piston pin.
Piston CH is 1.600" or 1.605"
A second source for forged pistons is Autotec/Racetec. They will be custom pistons.

What will you use to inject propane into the intake system?

Well, there we have it, bringing my essential Canadian-ness to the Ford 6 discussion. Thanks for your input, you've been tremendously enlightening.
WhitewallWill, I am sorry about that at the beginning I just had no idea where this journey was heading and assumed some of it like that the you and the truck were in the US. On a side note I once got to go fishing on a Western Canadian Lake for a week there were several log cabins around it. It was very far inland so that we needed to fly in on Float Planes, was very beautiful there and it was a really great experience that I will always remember. Best Wishes.

We've probably met before as I've lived at North Beach for the last 45 years!
Wow! We probably have met! We were at 522 between Linda and Mike and the empty lot when our kids were really little. Gave it up the year before the flood. We still talk about that place.

WhitewallWill, I am sorry about that at the beginning I just had no idea where this journey was heading and assumed some of it like that the you and the truck were in the US. On a side note I once got to go fishing on a Western Canadian Lake for a week there were several log cabins around it. It was very far inland so that we needed to fly in on Float Planes, was very beautiful there and it was a really great experience that I will always remember. Best Wishes.
Ha, well it is a big world that we circle in a small part of. The decoding you provided was more than I got in a year of searching. It proves we're borderless when you help neighbours. I'm really impressed with this forum in how quickly you've all reached out. Very cool and thank you.

Hi Will

A 54mm Comp Inducer will make power from 2000 to 5000 rpm when used on a 240 six.
The stock 240 head should have some port work done in the bowl area around the valve guide bosses to improve airflow for the upper end of the power band.
Because propane offers no seat lubrication, the head will need hard valve inserts installed for the exhaust valve seats.
If possible, have inserts installed for the intake valve seats also.

The cam profile should have a .050" intake duration of around 210 degrees with a 114 LSA.
Have a discussion with Jerry at Schneider cams for the camshaft.

If this is a dedicated propane engine, a flat top piston will give you around a 9.5 compression ratio for turbocharged propane.
The pistons are from the Ford 302 V8 assuming the 240 connecting rods have the .912" diameter piston pin.
Piston CH is 1.600" or 1.605"
A second source for forged pistons is Autotec/Racetec. They will be custom pistons.

What will you use to inject propane into the intake system?
I'm on a small island so can't look at it right now but, I am running an impco propane system. Will advise shortly.

Wow! We probably have met! We were at 522 between Linda and Mike and the empty lot when our kids were really little. Gave it up the year before the flood. We still talk about that place.
Yes, it's a small world. We're at 506 lot 13 and the vacant lot is owned by my next door neighbor Fabbro so I used to store my boat on that lot for the winters. The cabin you were in was originally Attwater's and their son, Neil, who is my age, was in my class at Lord Byng High School. Neil sold the cabin to a logger from Vernon after his dad died. I think it was the logger that owned it when you were there. I should be able to remember his name as he was a customer of Peerless Trailers in Penticton where I worked for 40 years. Now retired.

Yes, it's a small world. We're at 506 lot 13 and the vacant lot is owned by my next door neighbor Fabbro so I used to store my boat on that lot for the winters. The cabin you were in was originally Attwater's and their son, Neil, who is my age, was in my class at Lord Byng High School. Neil sold the cabin to a logger from Vernon after his dad died. I think it was the logger that owned it when you were there. I should be able to remember his name as he was a customer of Peerless Trailers in Penticton where I worked for 40 years. Now retired.
Wow, and all this brought together by a little 6 cyl ford. Will have to take it up to the Penticton show in July if we can pull it together. Lots to work on and lots of great advise. Thanks. If we can get to the show I'll send you a note where if you are interested you can come and see it or we can cruise by for a showing.

Update on our project! It's been an extensive metal work project. About to insure and get our pickup n the road for next week. Shooting for the Langley Cruise In Sept 10/22. Rewired with Haywire kit so no visible wire showing. Started up last weekend and now chasing leaks with all new brake lines. Jag calipers rebuilt with stainless pistons, 1" swaybar up front and will install the original 3/4" sway bar in the rear. As soon as I'm driving to work we will start on the engine mods. Will book a baseline dyno pull to see our start point. After that we will install EFI exhaust manifolds and complete a 3" single exhaust. Install homemade intake after that then work on the turbo install that will reside behind the rear wheels. Made lot's of room up front but, doing this all step by step. Mechanical gauges installed now with plans to rework dash to configure so it looks like two glove compartments in order to hide them along with the extra boost gauge. Looking forward to another whole level of fun.

Attachments

• 20220618_202034 (3).jpg
    20220618_202034 (3).jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220528_185844_resized.jpg
    20220528_185844_resized.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220529_161618_resized.jpg
    20220529_161618_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220827_140231_resized.jpg
    20220827_140231_resized.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220820_181836_resized.jpg
    20220820_181836_resized.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 10
Hi WhitewallWill. You are making great progress. I have one suggestion about the intake plenum. If you have not already done so you should put a radius on the entry of each runner to improve flow. Good luck.

Hi WhitewallWill. You are making great progress. I have one suggestion about the intake plenum. If you have not already done so you should put a radius on the entry of each runner to improve flow. Good luck.
Hi FTF,
Boy it's been a journey. I see that all as heavy lifting and the fun is about to start. I roughed in the intake as a diversion from working on the truck back in early spring. I beveled/smoothed the edges of the entry of the runners but, not sure if I should remove more material? I need to sand everything before I get this welded but, you can see the start. Tube is 2-7/16" I.D. My plan is to split the runner and if and when I get a bigger carb it would be mounted to a 2 bbl plate which I will cut into the tube once it's tacked together and mounted on the engine. The inside of the tube would be smoothed at the runner entries.

Attachments

• 20220904_182438_resized.jpg
    20220904_182438_resized.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220904_182958_resized.jpg
    20220904_182958_resized.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220904_183020_resized.jpg
    20220904_183020_resized.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 8
The carburetor appears to be an Impco 225 mixer and flows 329 Cfm at 1.5” Hg.
Hi Engine Fan,
Yes, my little Impco. It ran fine with the current fuel requirements. The input I got from the group here back in March was a warm up for me while I finished the structural repairs of the truck. I plan to drive it for the fall then tear it all apart this winter. First bolt ons will be EFI exhaust manifolds, single 3" exhaust and a turbo hanging out back of the rear wheels. The idea is to add bit, by bit until I chicken out or start breaking stuff. T5 trans and 4 pinion rear are part of the plan if and when budget allows. The carb, I expect to need a bigger one at some point but, my knowledge of propane carbs is pretty limited. Will learn as we go.

Sorry all,
I see I'm in the introduction part of the forum. I guess I should start something in the correct category as I progress.

Hi WhitewallWill, your truck is sure looking great! If you would like I can move all these posts over into another section for you were it would than be more permanent.

Hi WhitewallWill, your truck is sure looking great! If you would like I can move all these posts over into another section for you were it would than be more permanent.
Thanks so much. Please move to the turbo section and I'll reread what I posted and fill in the blanks on the truck. Hoping to learn a bunch here. Thanks in advance.

First start after roughly 14 months of metal work. I had just installed mechanical gauges and had just kicked it over without the coil wire so I could get some oil up top prior to starting. Metal work (first time ever) included all fabrication and welding work to both sides: floors, lower A-pillars, kick panels, part of the seat riser and structural ribs underneath seat, both cab mounts, both cab corners, both inner fender mounts. Partial sills both sides, New rad support. 1986 Jag XJ6 IFS. Full caliper rebuild, bushings, new shocks front and rear. New brake lines, complete new wiring, rebuilt steering column, home fabbed steering linkage using a mixture of Borgeson joints and Jag universal to Jag rack and pinion steering. Poly bushings for rear leaf springs including DJM 4" drop. All work performed in our 1 car carport by myself and my now 17 and 16 year old boys. All metal work/all mechanicals. Our intake is home brewed and we hope to do most of the engine work ourselves. The upcoming dash work we have planned will be at the same time as the engine work. Plan is to get through the winter work then back on the road for the spring. Priority will be to always have the truck running and drivable with minimal downtime to be 2 weeks max.

Last edited:
Back