Aluminum Head Update 8/28/06

I think you can chalk me down for one as well when you put the order in for your first batch.

How are things looking in regards to your goal of 300hp NA out of the 200?

turbo_fairlane_200":2s66b4nv said:
Mike I was wondering if you were going to "destructive test" one? just toss one on a JY motor and run it hot to see if there are any cracking issues. I know the iron 2.3L heads freak if you hit around 230 or so on the temp gauge (yes I know it is hot but if you pop a gasket on the highway it can get that hot FAST)

either way I have my money set aside....just need the website to allow me to buy one :p

Absolutely. I really hate to trash a motor, but I know of no other way. We'll run it until it fails, and see what goes first. Not only do we want to know how the head will do under extreme conditions, we need to know so we can establish a proper and reasonable warranty.

Stubby":2s66b4nv said:
You are asking Mike to speculate.
That's what I've been doing since I started this project two years ago. :D :D

Actually our goal is two fold. Our first goal is to cover the cost of the R&D, manufacturing, advertising, packaging, shipping, and labor, with the first batch or two. Our second goal, with consecutive batches, is to generate enough profit to set up and support a small machine shop (complete with a dyno) so we can develop, manufacturer, and test new products in house. With the end result being increased quality and availability, while simultaneously reducing the end price to the consumer. If we can do this, we will be successful and my dreams will have been fulfilled. Plus I can quit the day job and stop working 120+ hrs per week. ;)

Thanks Mike for all the effort.
I am saving the engine build on my 65 for the end of the project, I'm sure the head will be on the market by then, I'm looking forward to running one.
Of course the way my 65 project is coming along gasoline engines may be obsolete by then. :LOL:

Mike will there be an adapater for a weber two bbl carb later on that will fit this intake.
wcol (dave)

I have been following this string for quite a while...drooling the whole time...anticipating the availability of this new head. I've had my Falcon for almost six years and have not done much to it except clean it up a little. I've told the wife, however, that once we get the kids through college, I'm going to start spending a lot of money on the old bird. "By the time I'm done, I will have spent way more than the car will be worth." She didn't seem to have a problem with that.
The last kid graduated this last summer. I think it's interesting that this product is going to be available about the same time that I'm coming into some more disposable income. Karma or something...
I just want Mike to know how much I appreciate his effort. I will want one of these heads if for no other reason than I want his endeavor to succeed!

Thanks guys, for all the compliments. It's been a long and difficult journey, and required a lot of research (many long nights reading and brousing the web), so I was informed and confident in my decisions. I only hope they are correct, when its all said and done. Not only on the performance and manufacturing issues, but more importantly, the economic ones. ;)

The intakes are coming along nicely. They finished the core boxes this week (first half of the job), so it looks like we still have a good shot at producing the intakes in time for Santa's big day.

As for having an adaptor for a Weber carb, that shouldn't be a problem. Or, how about sometihng like this, which would run parallel to the valve cover. The setup including the adaptor, carbs, and linkage runs about $1200 and bolts up to the Holley 4V flange. 8)

Ooooh, I like, must have, must have, must...

Will it fit between the shock towers and under the hood of a Round Body?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mike.

Mike I already have a 38/38 weber 2 bbl carb and I am very interested in purchasing one of your cylinder heads later on. The adapter you spoke of previously would that work with this carb.

The first intake will be a 4V intake. You can adapt any 2V carb.

Man, this is gonna be fun!!!

I can't wait to get the aluminum head... I'm workin' like... 60 hours a week, and 20 of those hours are over time, so I'm gonna be able to afford it in 3 weeks. =))))) I don't want to buy one until I can afford intake, and carb too, though. =P It's gonna be amazing!

So what will the recommended economical setup look like (head, intake, and carb for under $2000) and what can we expect for rough performance numbers?

Thanks,
Greg

So when will the head be ready for purchase?
Will there also be available the 6X2bbl weber adaptor like on the FSPP homepage?

8)

Its still touch and go for me to get the aluminum head.

Last week it looked like I was going to losoe my job due to slow sales but now one guy has just quit which means I should start getting 40 hours a week again.

If my hours do go back up then its looking good again for the Aluminum head.

Congratulations Mike! Top work!

Ive been watching this since it was only in the pipelines and can now see why it has become what it is today.

Ive owned a 302W Cortina before and i was quick but felt no real desire towards it. So i wanted to build myself another one.
NOW i want one of these heads!
Keep it legal and show up the V8 boys.
So to quote Garth from Waynes world
"its like a soggy dream come true......" :eek: Steve

Mike

This so coll it has me thinking of building a 200 or 250 motor and then finding something to put it in.

What would be the best later block to try to track down as a starting point? I know you are building the 200 in the 69 fastback, would a late model 250 be as desirable or not?

Thanks for all your hard work, I hope I can make some fun with it.

Jim Reese

They finished the final modifications to the patterns and casted a couple more last week. One was cut up so they could verify the thickness and a few other details. The other was machined and is on its way to me. Once I give it a visual once over, they will cast up a dozen more, machine them, and ship. A few of those will be going to various forum members for testing, and a couple others will see several hours on a dyno. Once were sure everythnig is OK, we'll do the first production run, which should be right around the first of the year. Therefore they should be available by mid to late January, or there abouts. We just want to be certain everything is right, before spending thousands of dollars on the first run. ;)

The 4V intakes will also be ready just about the same time, as will the custom exhaust valves. All I have left to do, is to have the packaging produced, once I recieve the head that's on its way now. ;)

We were hoping to release them by Christmas, but the pattern maker held things up for about ten weeks. However, the intakes wouldn't have been ready anyway.

We also found a supplier for some really nice TBI's, as well as the injectors and control boxes. We will be working out the details with them next week, at the PRI convention in Orlando. The prices should be very reasonable.

The heads now have injector bosses in the intake runners, so you have a choice of location. Closer to the valve for ecomomy and idle quality, or in the throttle body for performance. It also allows the use of a twelve point system, which is the best of both worlds.

Back