'63 Falcon Turbocharged....UPDATE...IT RUNS!

Does10s":3uhokvhh said:
I'm trying to figure out a resistor that's hooked to the accelerator. The more I push the pedal, the more voltage to the pump.
Ya I can't wait to see how it goes too! We'll drive it this weekend after I get the throttle cable fab'd up.
Kenne Bell makes exactly what you are describing.

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/bo ... tapump.htm

We'll be waiting for a ride report...! :D

thanks for the info 10s, ur project is sweet. Im using exactly the same size to4b turbo as you, w00t! :D Hopefully my install looks as clean as yours. Are u using a wastegate...?

~scott

have you thought about using a V-8 throttle rod? I used that to make an easy conversion to a cable throttle set up. Then I hooked it up to a Lokar cable set up.

Slade

The wastegate is very hard to see. It's behind (or underneth) the downpipe next to the block. The only reason I put it there was so I could upgrade to a Aussie head without redesigning everything. Otherwise the W/G would've been on top right next to the intake manifold. I took a pic of it without the downpipe on there. I'll post it later.
I'm going with a "copy" of a Lokar throttle cable setup with the adjustable pedal. Already trial fitted it and it's going to work fine.
BTW I found my ticking rockarms last night. The rockerarm adj. bolt was hitting the bottom of the baffle on the valvecover. Nothing that a good hammer didn't fix.
Later,
Will

Tell us when you are going to take it out to SIR. There is a few Tucsonans here that will gladly head out to see that.

Slantsickness,
No problem! It'll be next month probably. I have to race my turbocharged '86 Mustang in a few weeks at Speedworld. So this month is pretty booked up.
Looks like the next Test and tune that we could make is May 7th. So we'll probably do that one.

thanks for the info again10s, lookin forward to some track times/dyno #s. My tial 38mm wg just came today. Did u weld ur wastegate flange on to the cast iron manifold? I've never tried to weld to cast iron, and am kinda skeptical, so some feed back on how this works would be great.

~scott

Scottydawg,
Cast iron manifold? The header and all flanges for the exhaust system are mild steel. No cast anything. The wastegate body is cast iron but it bolts to mild steel flanges. These flanges are welded to pipes that are welded to the header just before the turbo and to the downpipe.
It's really quite easy! If you have a Mig or Tig, a chop saw and a little knowledge how a turbo system works, anybody can build this!
Later,
Will

oooooh :shock: U fabbed the entire hedder from mild steel. Thats why u can weld all over the place. I'm running the stock hedder, which is cast iron right?

It doesn't even matter what it runs, it just looks incredible. Wow, that is so cool looking. I'm on board; nice job. Just the same, post those numbers when you get them.

Holly shix! I just joined so I could post this and kind of rub it in a little.

RODE IN IT yesterday. All I can say is hold on. It's not tuned up yet and I know it will beat my V8 hands down.

Like he said, the blow off valve is frickin load - almost down right scarry.

They are probably driving it to Don's as I post this. I better get off line in case they call and need help, but it seems to run pretty well so I doubt it.

oh yeah, na-na, n-na na - it was fun!

Well we drove it around most of the day today. Just mainly to test it out and break the motor in some. Purrs like a kitten! Right up until you mash the loud pedal, then it comes unglued!!!!! :shock: Tonight on the way home we did a little run from a dead stop and spun the drag radials all the way into 3rd! (C4 tranny). Oh my God this thing is quick! We really haven't opened it up yet because I've got the throttle cable adjusted so we can only open the butterflys ~75%.
WhooooHoooo! Everybody needs to turbo their inlines!
I'll keep ya updated!
Later,
Will

Whoa, hoss...that's awesome! :shock:

I guess we'll have to wait a month or so until you have time to take it out to SIR, eh?

BTW, does your wastegate dump to atmo or to your downpipe?

Stan,
The wastegate dumps into the downpipe. Nice and quiet that way. I've got it set for about 7 lbs of boost right now. I'll turn up the wick to about 10-12 lbs after a little more break in time.
Later,
Will

Hey Will,Can't wait to see it this weekend!Also when you take it out to SIR let me know and I'll take the nite off to come and spectate and take pictures.BTW For anyone reading this post Burns Stainless an aftermarket header company sells some killer looking exhaust collectors and other header parts such as a 6-1 turbo collector wich you can get in stainless or mildsteel.

great job there. One question what are you using to cool the radiator? From all apearences the intercooler pipe is going in front of the stock fan position. When you have thi project finished, it would be of great help to us all to have a comprehensive parts list and plan for a modification like yours. :)

once again great job

Slv49,
Yes the IC pipe goes right in behind the radiator. There is no engine driven fan. A pusher electric fan is mounted in front of the radiator. Seems to work pretty good. It could use a larger radiator though. It does get a little warm when at a stop light. Unfortunately it's a real tight fit up there with a 250. There's not more that 1 inch between the water pump pulley and the rad.
Will

Back