'63 Falcon Turbocharged....almost!

Does10s

Famous Member
VIP
Update:
Here's a pic of our turbocharger setup on my wife's '63 Falcon. It's a 250 with a C4 and a 9" rear end with 4:56 gears.
Still need to fab up the wastegate/intercooler/and other assorted piping. But we're getting there. We're going to try and have this thing done for the Knott's Berry Farm show in April.
Later,
Will
63_turbo_fab.jpg

I think you'll need to do something about the head fastening. How you've got it's a sure but drastic way of lowering compression.

Seriously, looking good. I am ultra curious to see how the IC install goes...

Adam.

The intercooler was a big concern. As most of you know the '63 Falcons don't have a lot of room in front of the radiator. Especially when there's a pusher electric fan up there. So the solution was to get a Turbo Supra I/C (about 12"x12"x2"), modify it somewhat and install it into the drivers side wheel well. The only part you will see from the engine compartment will be the intake and exhaust hoses going into and out of the I/C. Should be plenty of air flow in there. I will make a shield of some sort for rock deflection. But other than that it's pretty straight forward.
The carb is just a standard Holley 2 barrell, 350 CFM. I had to cut the choke horn off to fit the bonnet on. The head is just a 250 head modified to accept the Holley. I was concerned initially with hood clearance but even with the bonnet on there we've got at least an inch of clearance.
I'm waiting for some ARP head studs from Fordsixparts to help hold the head down.
Mike (AZCOUPE)has helped me out a bunch with parts for this project. THANKS MIKE! We've found out that the 250 is much more different than a 200 than we both thought!
I haven't really posted to much about this project yet. Once or twice maybe. No pics though. I keep everyone up to date on it. I'm working every weekend on it to get it done.
Later,
Will

whered you get the carb hat??? Also, when you fab the intercooler, be sure to put TONS of pics up, Im thinkin on where mine should go in the stang. Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt

No problem Rich! Leave the car with me after you get the motor in. It'll take about a month do fab it up. Working just on weekends of course! I can probably get you some good deals on rebuilt turbos. Hummmmm.....300 cid, TO4 turbo, blow through 450cfm 4V Holley, should equal around 450hp. In a tubbed Pinto....what 2100lbs? Better get an NHRA license!
Later,
Will

please post more pics and info I`m thinking of putting a turbo on my 250 if it don`t make the power I`m wanting thanks :)

Thanks everyone!
Did some more work on it this weekend. The header is done. The wastegate is mounted. You can hardly see the wastegate. I had to put it underneth the header, just above the motor mount. I'll be a a pain to adjust it, but just a matter of sliding down under the car.
Down pipe is complete and connects real nice to the 3" exhaust. Intercooler is almost installed. Just need to fab up a couple of brackets.
I should have all the piping done on Friday. I'll post some pics then.
Later,
Will

Very nice...! :D

What turbo is that? The compressor looks big enough for a BIG big-block. ;)

Looks big but it really isn't. It's a T04 based turbo with a .58 hot housing. The wheel is a 58mm. I can't remember off hand what size the compressor housing is but the 4" intake side is not the size of the compressor. Inside that large opening is a smaller opening, about 2.5" in diameter.
I'm only planning on spinning the motor to 6k so the smaller exhaust housing should work fine. We should have full boost at 2700 or so. And with a 3500 stall converter this thing should cook!
I've got the same basic turbo on my '86 Mustang with a 5.0L except the turbine housing is a .81 and the wheel is a 64mm. This car has done a 10.7@132.

I did my own turbo setup once make sure you have no air leaks because if you do the turbo wil over spin and then the bearings are shot. Also from the pics heat shield the wires near the turbo otherwise they will melt. Looks sweet, how do you plan to increase fuel on boost also what kind of pcv valve do you have. These are just the things I ran into with mine. Let us know and have fun, you'll like the neck stapping acelleration :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back