Aluminum Head Update 1/14/07

addo":2mv9gb9x said:
How different does it sound? I mean, the alloy will transmit different levels of operational noise.

Yes, yes. A quick video of it running would be greatly appreciated!

we need the Schjeldahl permission... i think it is long over due! Mike needs to put out , The Ford Six Cylinder Performance Handbook VOLUME 2

AzCoupe":2hk1kckr said:
We may have a composite intake produced by Wilson Manifolds. It's a new material they developed and has several advantages over cast. The cost is about the same, maybe less. It won't transmit heat to the carb, will withstand high temps, is ultra strong yet light weight (about half), won't crack with vibration, and doesn't corrode. Considering heat and corrosion are both issues with the cast intakes, I think this makes great sense. We saw them at PRI and were impressed with the idea.

It should work out well since, unlike the ford 4.6L V8, coolant won't be running through it. And that is what has been the problem with composite intakes.

The question of course is the tooling dollars since injection molds are considerably more expensive than casting tools. At least in my experience, but I haven't done anything cast with internal passageways like an intake manifold and avoided them on molded parts.

Sounds like everything will end up a nice neat package.

how long before this Alloy Head will be released ?

is it weeks , months or upto a year away?

Thats what I am wondering too. I have the classicinlines page as my home page so I can watch on the hour....... I havnt shaved in a month....

Sorry if this has already been posted! I'm on dial-up (and at work, haha) and trying to do research for the '66 coupe my Dad and I are working on.

Has a time when this head will be available, and a price been made available yet?

I don't really understand the flow numbers and how that relates to power - I'm a newbie to this, trying to be a sponge and gather all I can - but everyone I've spoken with concerning this head have said it'll be the be all, end all. Good enough for me. And I'd like to make a gift of it for my Dad.

Any help is appreciated, seems like a GREAT forum here! Excited to learn more and make some more posts!

Thomas

i would spend some time reading the site.

This may not be the best gift as it is really part of a more complete performance build package.

Not to discourage it's purchase, quite contrary, i just want to make sure if you do get it for your father's car, that it can be used, and used properly!

intake, carb, and inginition all need to be ready to make the power this head is capable of producing or it won't do much good.

Encourage your father to visit as well. the more the merrier!

Thanks for the reply!

We're doing a complete rebuild - the engine is in pieces right now. We just want to make sure that we're bolting the "good stuff" on there.

don't think you will get much better!

you may want to read about will and kelly's recent race in this section as well. They are drag testing the new head in a turbo application.

Delays, delays, and delays. They drive me nuts.

However, we hope to release the new heads around mid April. I'll have some definite answers in a couple weeks. Including the price. We just want to be sure we don't set it to low, or to high, and still need the final machining, packaging, shipping, and custom cost.

Hang in there, we very close.

Clifford has been promising a custom head for at least 3 years, probably longer. The only thing I see different about their latest comments is they have pinned the cost down to "hopefully" $1,095. In the past they said around $1,000.

mustang6":33m5cvqm said:
Clifford has been promising a custom head for at least 3 years, probably longer. The only thing I see different about their latest comments is they have pinned the cost down to "hopefully" $1,095. In the past they said around $1,000.

I just got my engine from them. Told them I was planning on using Mike's head later, and they just kept asking "why". Based on their responses, I doubt they'll ever seriously put one out.

Mike.

Back