Aluminum Head Update 1/14/07

Anyone know if there are going to be any New cam profiles that might be better suited for this head?

:D Bill "The Guy Who Built A Six" Richcreek :D

Bill, yes there will be some new cams to work with the flow #'s and rpm range of the new head.They may not be out right away but they are coming as soon as AZCoupe gets everything rollin'.

Let me straighten you guys out. :D

The Hogan intake has NOTHING to do with the production intakes. It was fabricated by Hogan specifically for high rpm - strip usage ONLY.

It would not work well for street applications as the runners are not the correct shape and velocity, and the plenum chamber is way to large. Hence, the bottom end torque will suffer dearly. Its sole purpose is mid range and top end power. I assume the idle quality will be poor, but we'll have to see how it runs when Will fires it up.

This intake will never be produced as a production piece, as core boxes are to costly for a low demand product. However, we may offer a few fabricated intakes by special order. The runners are not merely different sizes of tubing welded together, as they appear. If you could see the inside of the runners, you would see that they have been machine to a very specific shape. This manifold cost $1600 bucks to make, so they aint cheap, and I doubt many will be willing to plop down that amount of cash for an intake.

The production intakes are loosely based on the same design as the OZ 2V intakes. The company that designed them, is also producing the core boxes. Quite a bit of research went into the design, as they are not merely a copy of the 2V, hence the high cost.

Here's a shot of the bottom core box, verse the OZ-2V intake. You can see the shape of the new ports and the larger radius, which helps equalize the runner lengths, as well as providing a straighter shot to the head ports. The overall shapes are different too, which improves flow and velocity. We left the center section similar to the 2V and will play with them on a dyno once we have a few prototypes to work with. But the idea behind doing so, is so the intakes work with either a 2V and/or 4V carb. However, we may change the patterns or machine the intake, depending on the dyno results.

untitled19pt.png

Down the road, when we have a bunch of dyno time behind us, we'll look at producing another 4V intake. However, that totally depends on the results we get with the first intake, and if the need for a new design even exist as we may have nailed it on our first attemp. However, the only way to know for sure, is by investing a lot of time the dyno, testing various setups with different prototypes. Again, not cheap.

We may have a composite intake produced by Wilson Manifolds. It's a new material they developed and has several advantages over cast. The cost is about the same, maybe less. It won't transmit heat to the carb, will withstand high temps, is ultra strong yet light weight (about half), won't crack with vibration, and doesn't corrode. Considering heat and corrosion are both issues with the cast intakes, I think this makes great sense. We saw them at PRI and were impressed with the idea.

newproducts18ax.jpg

As for cams: YES, we are working on some new profiles. 8)

As for gaskets: Yes, stock aftermarket gaskets will work. But note the following comments.

INTAKES: We just recieved an order of custom intake gaskets manufactured for the new head.

EXHAUST: Stock gaskets will work, but will need to be modified (port matched). Same goes for my current header gaskets. We are currently looking into producing a custom exhaust gasket and have had discussions with three different comanies. Just haven't selected which one yet.

HEAD: A stock head gasket will work fine. However, Will is working on a copper head gasket (expensive) and I am working with Corteco on a custom high performance gasket, made specifically to suit the new head. Both will be down the road a few months.

VALVE COVER & STAT: Stock gaskets will be fine.

BOLTS & STUDS: Stock will not work, so we'll be offering custom sets of ARP bolts and/or studs. Half of the head bolts/studs (intake side), need to be approximately one inch longer due to the shape and placement of the new port designs.

All exhaust, intake, and rockers will be helicoiled for strenght and durability. We could have gotten by without (but you know me) I insisted on them for the exhaust. Considering the intake, exhaust and rockers all use the same diameter, and the tooling will already be setup for the exhaust, the machinist recomended doing all three. Hence, they will all be helicoiled.

Guess that's it? Did I miss anything?

OK. I haven't chimed in yet.

Mike - you're my hero. Thanks for all the hard work and investment. I look forward to hopefully partaking when the time comes. I'm not ready for it yet, and I'm guessing it will be solidly on the market by the time I am. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

What sort of power can the stock internals take? At what point do we need to step up to forged components? Its my understanding that forged pistons are available but not rods or a crank.

I'm thinking of using a supercharger.

IIRC earlier years of the 200 rods were forged (someone please clarify) Cranks are obtainable but would run maybe $2000.But another alternative would be to have some good main caps made which would probably run around $400-$500.If you were to run say 8-13 lbs of boost well prepped stock rods and main and head studs or bolts should be fine.

I happen to talk with a company today that may be able to supply several items for us. Forged cranks, I-beam rods, custom forged pistons (better price than current), heavy duty main caps, etc. Basically all internal parts.

As for custom head gaskets, that may be a possibility, but the one company that quoted us was very expensive. So we will keep looking.

200 rods from '65-'73 were forged (not sure about earlier than '65, I lent my Falcon Perf. Handbook to my engine builder). The '65 and later 200's had 7 main bearings - that's got to help in keeping the bottom end together.

I can hardly wait to hear how Will and Kelly do with their Falcon.

Dean T

I66coupe":1n5wnqkq said:
What sort of power can the stock internals take? At what point do we need to step up to forged components? Its my understanding that forged pistons are available but not rods or a crank.

I'm thinking of using a supercharger.

Check out Linc's posts; he basically bolted up a turbo to a bone stock motor just to see how far he could push it till it blew up. Very impressive results.

Mike,
Are there any updates regarding the EFI intakes and the FAST setup? Im looking at engine options and right up there at the top is a 200 with your new head and MPFI.
Is the EFI option going to have its own intake or will it be an adapted 4v design?

Thanks for all the hard work. Im sure many of us are waiting to line your pockets with some hard earned cash.

Here's the "Official", Unofficial Ford Inline 6 head weights.

All heads are with valves, springs etc. installed.
Weights are from my bathroom scale.

'78 log head = 66lbs.
Oz 250-2V = 59lbs.
FSP Alum. = 35.5lbs.

4bbl modified cast Oz intake = 9.5lbs.
Hogan's sheet metal 4bbl intake = 8lbs.

Later,
Will

Just so everyone knows.....
Kelly's car is up and running with an aluminum head on it! :party:
Hopefully I'll post up a pic tomorrow.

Still have some tuning to do, but so far so good. We haven't even drove the car yet. And we won't until we get it up to Phoenix to race it.

So we'll see how it goes. This weekend should be a good test.

Later,
Will

How different does it sound? I mean, the alloy will transmit different levels of operational noise.

Back