Aluminum Head Update 1/14/07

If they are doing a crossflow head as stated, I would speculate that the cylinder head would be just the begining. It will more than likely require a new valve cover, new headers, new distributor, new intake, new rockers, etc. Just something to consider, and the reason we decided against a crossflow design. We wanted to get the most performance, while using existing parts, thus went with the 2V design.

We thought about having our head produced in China, like most comapies do now days, as its so much cheaper. But decided against that too. Even tho it would have kept our prices below a grand, we decided to go for quality instead. The foundry were are using is in Australia and you can definitely see a difference in their castings. When we were at PRI this year, we went around and looked at the different heads and various other casting, as to compare. I can honestly say, there was a huge difference and it was easy for the untrained eye to see. Makes me wished I had my valve covers cast by them, as I'm sure they would have come out much nicer, especially for polishing.

Just points to ponder. ;)

They would be hard pressed to build a better head than Mike has in the works. It could be done but would take a lot of work. This is just my opinion. Time will tell. Mike has hired the best, and has pushed quality at all cost. I will put my money on the FSP head.

If I had to guess, I would bet that they will hype it on Jacks name, and Jack isn't the one who will be designing it. Give credit where credit is due, Jack Clifford did more for the inline crowd than most will ever do. He made major contributions and we are greatful for his dedication and he will be missed for years to come. If he were still around, I might have to wait and see what he had to offer. No offence Mike but Jack is a legend.

Gary Stubbs

PS I kinda wish Jack was still around, this would be sort of a challenge, complete with a little trash talking.

I can foresee the day that Clifford contacts Mike to buy and distribute his head through their company. :shock: And, I'd be willing to bet, that phone call probably isn't that far off.
Question is, do you do it? :roll:

Mike.

PhantomAce said:
I can foresee the day that Clifford contacts Mike to buy and distribute his head through their company. :shock: And, I'd be willing to bet, that phone call probably isn't that far off.
Question is, do you do it? :roll:

Thats what I Was wondering about. If clifford was distributing for fsp. The price confused me though. I think the fsp head will be worth the $$ to more people for the reasons mentioned Above. The ability to use existing parts is a good thing.
I think that updating the web site(classic inlines) with an e.t.a. on the parts and kits would be a good idea. I know theyre really busy but the 2006 release date is confusing to folks who dont use the forum. They may think that fsp has dropped the ball like southern cross and then never look back to see whats up. It would also help folks to see how much beer they need to cut back to plan their engine builds and weather to bid on the ebay aussi heads or wait it out. These are just some ideas to help get more sold....

AzCoupe":32fla6e7 said:
The foundry were are using is in Australia and you can definitely see a difference in their castings. When we were at PRI this year, we went around and looked at the different heads and various other casting, as to compare. I can honestly say, there was a huge difference and it was easy for the untrained eye to see.

I've dealt with poorly cast parts before, and it can be a nightmare. The main mounting bracket for the supercharger I added to my RX-7 was cast aluminum. Was basically a plate but with a 1.5" diameter boss sticking out of one end to mount the airpump onto. Well, it was poorly cast and the boss cracked off shifting the airpump, throwing the serpentine belt out of alignment, which caused the belt to jump off. Which meant nothing was driving the water pump. Which overheated my engine. And rotaries HATE overheating. Bad things man, bad things. All because of poor casting. So Mike, I'm glad you went with a foundry that does good work!

Aussie castings are better for two reasons - firstly we leave the residual hops in our "raw aluminium stock", and secondly trained kangaroos are employed to compact the green sand around casting patterns. Their extra weight compared to a person, really packs that sand in tight. ;)

http://www.dmdaustralia.com.au/

These guys (above) are champions. Look through their patternmaking and casting pages. CHI had some involvement in this, I think. Triple 48mm DCOEs and they made 295FWHP on the dyno with about 230 cubes (3.8 litres).

I think that updating the web site(classic inlines) with an e.t.a. on the parts and kits would be a good idea. I know theyre really busy but the 2006 release date is confusing to folks who dont use the forum.

Actually, I've been working on a new website for the past several weeks and hope to load it in another week or two. Looks a lot different, has updated info, easier to navigate, lots more sections (like a racing section and a dyno section for example).

Here's the new logo
http://www.inlineclassics.com/images/CI%20logo1w.jpg

I prefer the old logo, actually. I think it has more of a feel to what we are trying to convey as a group. Much classier.

I have dealt with clifford for years and have had many conversations with Jack himself and I recently talked with them about getting there headers for my bronco because I believe they have more of what I want than what Mikes offers for a header for a bronco. That said I also shop around, and since Jack has passed I believe the passion of his son in law is not quite the same as when Jack was alive as you can see all the specialty items that have been deleted from their catalog that I believe jack only knew how to deal with customers on because of his vast knowledge. There is no doubt in my mind that being said, that Mike is headed or is already the cutting edge of the 170-200-250 family, especially with practicallity and innovation being applied to a new head. I have bought a few parts from Mike already and am waiting for him to do all the tough work that takes time and money to pick the best head, cam and intake combo. I will admit I have been one of Mikes more impatient customers, but I also know what he is doing, but I also want the information yesterday, just because I think his final components will well be worth the wait, so as Mike always lectures me, lets be patient and let him do the leg work, I'm sure if he didn't care so much he would be happy to start pumping them to us and recovering some of his investment. I know how hard it is to run your own business and ya just have to appreciate a guy who does something like this while he is still fulltime employed. On another note, Clifford is no longer persuing the aftermarket head, I spoke with them a very short while ago and they told me they have abandoned the project, just give them a call and ask. Hope I was respectfull to both parties with making my points. BYE FOR NOW, THIS IS THE IMPATIENT ONE THATS TRYING TO LEARN THE SPECIAL HANDSHAKE FOR THE CONSPIRACY HEAD.MIKE

Hey - what's happening to the head development? I can't hold my breath any longer. I've been following the development for quite some time and nothing has been posted since Feb 21!!! I need another fix to keep me excited. I'm saving my bucks to purchase this head and other goodies for my 66 mustang.
Frank

First he has to get the trews with one leg rolled up, and the shirt with half his chest exposed...

I'm not sure I know the secret handshake but I do know how to shake (at least something!). I'm willing to dance on one leg around my mustang if I could put the new aluminum head and a nice 2 bbl carb on top of my engine. That would make things shake for certain.
Frank

Back