200ci Raise Performance on 200ci

This applies only to 200ci

Cesarvi17

Subscriber
Supporter 2023
Hey I’m pretty new to the idea of a straight six being beefed up. Originally I was gonna just swap in a v8 into my 65 mustang, but I thought a 200ci project would be killer. I can’t get my hands on a bolt on intake/cylinder head combo. I’m thinking of using an adapter for 2bbl. Aside that, do you guys have any suggestions that will raise the hp and/or torque? The transmission is also a c4.

have a read through the Tech Archive above and a copy of the book from VI is where I'd start!
best luck and keep us posted
DrC

I have a link to the old website associated to this forum with specs of the inline 200 series throughout the years... in my opinion a good option would be if you could get an 80s 250 large log cylinder head as it has the largest valves and plenum volume and can be modified for the 2 bbl intake. It may not create big power but it will be your best chance with stock parts... then you could move on to power adders and or the already mentioned aluminum cylinder head that has very good results. I saw a video of one guy who made 227 rwhp with that head and a hot cam... im in the process of working on my big six... as soon as i can im gonna look for a small six to work on...

Hi, X2 on the Falcon Performance Handbook, and try the new book by by Matt Cox on Vintageinlines.com.
The blocks are all good, but the later heads are much better. You have a lot to learn about the different carb and ignition combinations, as well as many other ways to get more power out of your Ford six. Good luck

"...before I actually spend any money..."
or do the wrk I'd say. 1/2 measures get 1/2 results. Do the due diligence
B4 U start. This way U know the expected outcome, time and $ budgets
AND
the results themselves are not 1/2 baked.

"...get an 80s 250 large log cylinder head..."
last yr for the 250 was '80 itself. 200 went onto the end ('83) w/nother 13 yrs of the 300 (thru efi which I like). I think the Handbook sez all heads are interchangeable (who'd wanna due to boar difference) but we consider the 200/250 the same after abt '77 (going into what I think U mean Dave) the lrg log head (1420cc intake volume) bigger valves and 62 cc combustion chamber. 2 or 3 year breaks to watch - 64, 68 and 77 on these motors...HTH OP Ces~

I have a 67 vert 200/c4 with no engine mods other than a msd 6al with a late model dist also has a Holley efi 2300 snipper on it connected to a small log head thru an adaptor . All round driveability of my car was dramatilly changed.

I've been holding out for an alum head before going much further on eng mods other than maybe some headers. Does it run like a v8 ? No, but I did'nt expect it to and know it still won't even if I am lucky enough to get a alumn head but I'm good with that.

I still consider it money well spent for the improved instant cranking,smooth idle and better performance(more power)

Back