After 11yrs on here, finally getting a six!

Infectious, if that were local I would be checking it out for fit by the end of the week. I checked my "Ford Parts Interchange Manual" and Ford changed part numbers between '68 and '69. My gut says they interchange but the book says only the brake pedal cover does.

When I used to live in Colorado there was a pick n pull in Greeley, they he'd great deals.

Thanks for the offer, but I can't ask you to pull something that may or may not work.

Now if any of those new mustangs have black buckets......

-ron

must.get.motor.and.trans.into.hot.little.hands.soon.before.explode.

Hopefully tomorrow.

Chad, I don't have many vehicles on my 'wish list' but an Early Bronco is one of them, an early Ford Crew Cab ('67-72) is right up there with it.

Frankenstang, you are a silly one, I'm not giving up my '68 C-code. The wife needs something to drive too you know :LOL: plus I might just be a flip flopper, it is an election year after all.

Invectivus (sorry I didnt' realize my autocorrect error last night), I looked at some online information this morning... I don't actually have home internet, so when I reply at night time its usually via phone, and without being able to really search/research things, but it doesn't look like '67/69 are interchangable. These two ebay ads show that they are built vastly different.

1969 Mustang Clutch Pedal Assembly
1967/68 Mustang Clutch Pedal Assbemly

However, these '65/66 pedals look very similar,
1965/66 Mustang Clutch Pedal Assembly

Not looking at the actual pedal support, the pedals look the same except on the '67/68 they added a second support bracket for the pin brace on the clutch pedal.

There was some confusing information over at MustangSteve.com that might be promising...
Mustang Steve Brake Pedal FAQ
This information leads me to believe that all I really need is the actual clutch pedal and some elbow grease to modify my existing brake pedal.
WHAT FITS WHAT...

Brake pedals are identical between manual transmission and automatic transmission, except the foot pad part.
A pedal from an automatic car can have the foot pad trimmed to fit on a manual transmission car of the same year.

67 manual brake pedal will fit in 65-66 as exact replacement. 65-66 pedals will fit the 67 car.
The problem is that he does not talk about clutch pedals at all, grr. I have a '65/66 Musatng parts car that has a complete manual pedal assembly in it, I will add that ot my list of things to check this spring. Will the '65/66 clutch pedal work in a '67. I may already have everything I need. (which would be awesome)

I said hopefully tomorrow because, we are supposed to have a nasty storm up here closing down all major roadways and businesses. The bossman already sent out an email stating that he does not expect people from outside Fargo/Moorhead to make it into work if we get the blizzard that we are expecting, its a wild guess, anywhere from 6-16" depending on which weatherman is talking and what time of day it is and how dramatic they are.

Weather.com
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather- ... 2012-02-26

Local (KVLY channel 11) shows more possible
http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/136 ... t-forecast

My wife said I still have to drive her to work... so I will be in town anyhow, and hopefully so with the seller.

FWIW, I actually live 20 miles outside of Fargo on 11 acres, I will be moving snow using the 4 wheeler with snow blade and a 1956 Farmall 400 (inline 4cyl) with a Schwartz loader and 7ft 6" Lofness 3pt snowblower.

-ron

1 inch to ft & 1/2 of sno here Wens nite into Thurs. The bronk will take care of whatever falls!
The "' '67 - '72 crew cab" is not a high boy, I don't think, but the '73 - 9 is a fav body style 4 me.

Bronk is just a 4WD 'stang. Lemmie know if U think a '77 clutch/break peddle assembly will wrk 4 U...

I would look for a '78/79 f250 4wd frame to put it on and give it a highly look with a small lift and some tall skinny 16" tires and rims.

The problem is that old crew cabs were never popular here, I have toyed with the idea of making my own cab from 3 regular cabs and utilizing a van roof and floor all of which are plentiful.

Another project for another year..

-ron

I did indeed pick it up today. I did not take many pictures yet as it is snowing and blowing on me...loaded170_sm.jpg

it has a YF carb (with broken fuel filter)
Dual vacuum distributor (which I will replace with a Duraspark)
I have spotted a couple broken bolts that will need extracting
The exhaust manifold seems like has a fairly large outlet.
It is missing the torque converter bolts
the starter ring looks 'a little chewed on'
It spins over by hand until the compression comes up, then I run out of leverage
The transmission still has fluid in it (based on the amount of fluid it is leaking into my pickup bed)
It is missing the correct dipstick and tube for the transmission
I need to check the shift linkage to see if it is setup for a floor shift or a column shift..
It came with a remanufactured 3 bolt starter, that is missing the actuator cover and the ring that covers the backside of the starter.
It has an aircleaner that says 'Maverick 105hp'
And he had the driveshaft..
I don't know if that fan/adapter belongs to the motor or not, he had one laying in his storage shed and asked if I wanted it.. (of course I do, don't be ridiculous)
We hand lifted it from the back of his pickup into mine, I spotted a H.A.M.B. sticker in the back window of his '55 F100 project pickup (not a six) and then we bs'd about projects and not having enough time/money for way, way, way too long :LOL:

The wait is over, let the cleaning and inspecting begin!
-ron

IDK but I think you might have a c4 and a 200... it sure looks that way...

did you grab the casting numbers... that should tell us :D

The Block
C8DE-6015-A

Head
D0DE-6090-A

Exhaust Manifold
C8DE-(rusted)

3 bolts holding on the water pump
3 freeze plugs on the passenger side

Based the information on the following two sites, I am going to go ahead and it is a 170 (I left my Falcon Performance Handbook at home, I think it has casting numbers in it)

http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=3435
Look under the exhaust manifold. If it has 3 freeze plugs its a 170, 4 for a 200. Both should have 3 water pump bolts. If it has 4 someone could have put a 250 engine in it. The 250 is the same engine family, 144/170/200/250 where as the 240 & 300 are the same family used in full size fords , trucks & vans.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/ ... /1970.html
FORD MAVERICK 2-Door Sedan 170 Six Cruise-O-Matic, model year 1970, version for North America U.S. with 2-door sedan body type, RWD (rear-wheel drive) and automatic 3-speed gearbox. Basic specs and characteristics: petrol (gasoline) engine of 2781 cm3 / 169.7 cui displacement with advertised power 78 kW / 105 hp / 106 PS ( SAE gross ) / 4200 and 212 Nm / 156 lb-ft / 2200 of torque. Dimensions: this model outside length is 4557 mm / 179.4 in, it’s 1793 mm / 70.6 in wide, 1328 mm / 52.3 in high and has wheelbase of 2616 mm / 103 in. The value of a drag coefficient, estimated by a-c, is Cd = 0.5 . Standard wheels were fitted with tires size 6.00 - 13. Reference vehicle weights are: official base curb weight 1149 kg / 2533 lbs . How fast is that car ? Performance: top speed 147 km/h (91 mph) (theoretical); accelerations 0- 60 mph 14.2 s; 0- 100 km/h 15.3 s (a-c simulation); 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 19.6 s (a-c simulation). Fuel consumption and mileage: official: , average estimated by a-c: 13.9 l/100km / 20.3 mpg (imp.) / 16.9 mpg (U.S.) / 7.2 km/l .

I also realized today that it is missing the block/transmission spacer plate.. I'm going to have to find one of those... another thing for the list of needed parts. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one at Dad's...

-ron

chad":c4ylnk72 said:
...170 with C4..."
Interesting. I have the motor in my Bronco & a C4 on the shop floor. I'd love a pic of both "1/2s" from where they mate to see the flex plate & tq 'verter plate etc & what if any adaptor is used. Love it if U could accommodate -
Shoot, I didn't read the whole post very well. I will get pictures of the torque converter and the transmission bellhousing tomorrow.

This is the rear of the block, you can identify that it is a dual pattern block, it looks like the automatic uses the smaller inner pattern (based on the clean pattern) I do not have the plate that goes between the engine and the bellhousing, I need to find/build one. And from looking at this photo, it looks like I am going to need some alignment dowels.. (its always something...) But you can see the flexplate and if you look real close you can see the re-enforcement plate behind the flexplate bolt heads.

-ron

Thanks, Ron, that's helpful. Went to ur photobucket site & noticed the pic wuz (I think) "9 of 13". W/my dial up I couldn't stay'n C if there were more pic. I need to see "the other 1/2" - ie tranny, to C how I'd get my transfer case in there...
Boy they put that C4 behind alot of rigs. I understand the bronk 1 specific to that rig only, however (not sure how different but they say U can't swap em - must B the 4WD adaptation). Mine wuz behind a 302/4WD in it's earlier life.

The C4 bellhousing and case are the same between the 2wd and the 4wd transmissions. To use a 2wd C4 with a transfer case (4wd) they used a shorter output shaft and a 4wd specific adapter. Sorry, I won't have any pictures of that.

But if you have a C4 that was in a 4wd you should be able to 'borrow' the shaft and tail shaft housing from that transmission and put it on to another C4. Or

If you have a working C4/transfer case for a 302 and want to put it behind a 200 or 170 you would need
The six cylinder
Bellhousing
Blockplate
Flex Plate
Re-enforcement ring
torque converter
starter

Take the v8 parts off of the current C4 and replace them with these parts, you shouldn't have to do anything with the trans cooler lines, shifter, or drivelines. You will have to do some modifications for the carburator throttle and transmission kickdown linkages as they are specific between the v8 and i6.

-ron

"...Bellhousing, Blockplate, Flex Plate, Re-enforcement ring, torque converter, starter..."
boy, the guys who pulled the motor didn't do me any favors, the above is missing: as well as output shaft, TS housing, adapter, kick down, t/fluid d/s tube. They stripped it w/o telling me. I got a 302 bell (for my 250, wont wrk for the 170) and flex plate (from another 250) but none of them will wrk on the 170 I imagine. BTW: any ideas on which Tq 'verter to use w/the bronk?
Thank you for the info, I've downloaded it for a prts search list...

Your best bet, is that if nobody locally has the parts you need, post here in the Wanted section. Surely somebody here will have those parts left over from a project.

-ron

left over from a project.
hummm, for 4WD, never thought a that - thanks I'll give it a try. I'm swapin out the 170 so (can only C an auto w/bigger displacements) I would like to have an option to go C4 if desired later (read: needs more money). You've been very helpful.

Back