All Small Six Drilling out oil drain back holes in 200ci block

This relates to all small sixes
Hang in there, you're going to get it solved !
I think the pipe cleaner in the pushrod idea above was brilliant ...
DannyG

Hang in there, you're going to get it solved !
I think the pipe cleaner in the pushrod idea above was brilliant ...
DannyG
Absolutely DannyG! We had heard of the pipe-cleaner trick from another member recently as well. Had we still been using the standard flow-through pushrods, it surely would have been worth the try, but we had already made the restriction by going with the 60% restricted flow pushrods that are made with the smaller diameter hole.

We really are grateful for everyone's suggestions.

Goldie, I measured what I believe is a virgin block and the front two are .375 and the rear is .625, maybe they cheated you on the rear hole size.

I sure do like your bigger square hole for the rear drain back idea drag-200stang seems like that would sure help on that one, then maybe add another new 1 or 2 in front of it if there is room to fit them into the Galley. Do you have any pictures of down inside of the 200 Six Lifter Galley and the Bottom of Camshaft Tunnel to compare to a 250 Six Block?

You guys are the best! Just removed hood and preparing to pull engine today. Bubba22349, we will probably be purchasing that lifter galley scoring tool from summit today also. Another forum member shared something with me that said we need to score lifters 2 & 3 galley to allow for better oiling of the distributor gear.

Last edited:
You guys are the best! Just removed hood and preparing to pull engine today. Bubba22349, we will probably be purchasing that lifter galley scoring tool from summit today also. Another forum member shared something with me that said we need to score lifters 2 & 3 galley to allow for better oiling of the distributor gear.
The lifters for lifter bores 2 & 3 on each side of the distributor were scored for a little leakage to the distributor gear. Two of the 12 lifters were scored & 10 were not. I can't remember if I gave you the lifters in a box to install or if they were already in the engine. I'm pretty sure they were already in the engine. I think I remember worrying if they would slide out of the block with it laying on the side in the container. That is why it was slightly tilted up with the lifter side of the engine on the top side IIRC.
Hi Goldie as the above post by "super4ord" states that 2 of the Lifters have already been Grooved so you won't need to Groove those two Lifter Bores.

I grooved 2 lifters, not the bores. Check #2 & #3 when you pull them. I hadn't ever heard of grooving the bores. One of the stickies about Yella Terra rockers was to groove the #2 & #3 lifters for increased oil flow to the distributor gear.
Hi super4ord, grooving of the Lifter bores helps to get a little more Oil onto the Camshaft Lobes and Lifter Faces with the reduction of the Zinc in many Oils now days this is helpful for having a longer lasting Camshaft's and Lifter's, it can also be done with either a Hydraulic Lifter or a Solid Lifter. It will also be a better alternative than using the EDM Type Hydraulic Lifters, this is just a controlled Oil leak to get some extra Oil to the Cam Lobes and Lifter Faces the idea is a good thing, however having that hole in the face of the Lifters also bleeds Lifters down reducing their total Valve Lift.

I did not even think to look at a 250, I am not able to do pics now but soon. I once started to drill another rear hole but stopped when I realized the I was going to drill into the passage for the oil sender.o_O I will see if I can measure a 250.
Ok the 250 is, two front .375 and the rear is .700 so the 250 rear hole is .075 larger, and the stock pump is 12% more than a 200.

Thank you drag-200stang, that's good info to know. I am now wondering how much bigger that rear drain hole could safely be up sized past that .700 size (its close to 3/4 Inch .750) and if there is also another location that could also be drilled in the rear part of the Lifter Galley? This shows me that Ford also relised that they needed a larger Rear Drain Hole for the higher volume capacity of the Oil Pump's used on the 250 Six's.

Thank you drag-200stang, that's good info to know. I am now wondering how much bigger that rear drain hole could safely be up sized past that .700 size (its close to 3/4 Inch .750) and if there is also another location that could also be drilled in the rear part of the Lifter Galley? This shows me that Ford also relised that they needed a larger Rear Drain Hole for the higher volume capacity of the Oil Pump's used on the 250 Six's.
You just have to look a see where the oil passages and water jacket is if you look from the top and then the bottom you can get a good idea. I have not added any more holes after the almost screw up just made them bigger especially the rear.

I was just telling another forum member today that I've learned more from you guys on this build than in 40 years of working on cars as a hobby. Of course my husband has been doing this to make a living all his life, so he "gets it" a lot faster than I do. These small sixes are a breed apart though.

I do think we are getting much closer to having our problem resolved however.

I'm sure you will fix it one way or another. Maybe restrict the pushrod oil flow by putting mig wire inside the pushrods. Maybe bend it first then force it in so it stays in place so the ends don't touch the lifters.

Here are 3 comments from people who had to much oil from the lifters.
"To my surprise, they left out the little metal disc that controls the oil through it. Luckily I had a spare. All is good now!"
"I added just a little more preload to that one specific lifter and it cleared up."
"I took apart a few of the lifters and found that the oil metering plate inside the suspect lifters was installed cock-eyed and I think that caused the oil to rush past the two suspect lifters."

Maybe try another set of lifters.
"COMP Cams 834-12 High Energy Hydraulic Flat Lifter Set for Ford 144-250 and 2600-2800cc V6"
"
Patented orifice metering valve precisely meters oil to the rocker arms
Continuous contact between metering valve and hardened pushrod seat is maintained, eliminating excessive oiling at high engine speeds

78_200_C4, thanks for the suggestions. We do have 60% restricted pushrods in this engine already. If we have to go to 80%, we can have a custom set made. After taking this engine apart (head off now, and block coming out this morning), we do believe we are having issues with the lifters. There appears to be no metering valves in any of the lifters we've removed so far.

Clay Smith Cams has Ford 170/200/250 oiling Hi-Rev Lifters for roller rockers. They advertise a patented constant orifice metering valve provides precise oil metering to the overhead valve train.

You need the lifters for the small block V-8 so you have oil thru lifters for the pushrods.

Back