All Small Six Camshaft removal with engine installed

This relates to all small sixes

clochard68

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
Has anyone changed their camshaft with the engine still in the engine bay?
I am asking specifically for a 200 in an 68 Mustang.

Is it possible? Maybe disconnecting the front engine mounts and tilting the engine upwards to get the cam through the grille? But transmission still attached.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Yes- On 2 trucks, and 2 Chevy cars- so specifically to your vehicle, that's no help. But room can be made doing what you said: Radiator out obviously, and if it's in the way, the grille is easier to remove than the engine. Enough angle to clear the front body by jacking the engine up, if necessary. It never took much lift of the engine for the cam to clear the body, since the arc of where the cam clears the radiator support is several feet from the engine lift point. Remember to loosen the trans mounts too. Every time I've done it, it's gone very smoothly, less logistics than anticipated.

Last edited:
Now I'm curious-what do you have planned? I've been toying with ideas of engine upgrades but have postponed them until I get the car in good driving condition.

Enough angle to clear the front body by jacking the engine up, if necessary. (Not needed on my f150). It never took much lift of the engine to clear the body, since the arc of where the cam clears the radiator support is several feet from the engine lift point. Remember to loosen the trans mounts too.

Can I use the oil pan as liftig point (with maybe some plywood in between jack and pan)?

Good advice on loosening the trans mounts, should make it definitely easier!

@ Kritas: for now just the cam change, since my head is already off at the moment

Can I use the oil pan as liftig point (with maybe some plywood in between jack and pan)?

Good advice on loosening the trans mounts, should make it definitely easier!

@ Kritas: for now just the cam change, since my head is already off at the moment
I split the rubber trans mount once by forgetting to loosen them before jacking.
I jack from the damper. The pan may be ok. The goal is to angle the engine upward, not raise the whole thing. So the closer to the front the better for this purpose, has always been my logic.

The pan will push in easily, be careful if you do. You could make something like this |__| to hug the pan sides and push on the pan rails, cut slot for pan edge. The uprights should be secured on top of the bottom 2x6. Always have a second failsafe to hold if primary device fails. I have done it on a 66. very long time ago, as I remember it, I had no bumper and removed the two vallance pieces. I think that I told myself never do that again and to just pull the engine, but of course the other way always seems better at the time.

Last edited:
I changed the cam in a 63 Falcon without jacking the engine or loosening any of the mounts. But I did remove the grill.

I changed the cam in a 63 Falcon without jacking the engine or loosening any of the mounts. But I did remove the grill.

The U-support is a good idea!

I just checked the engine bay and I think maybe it fits UNDER the grille, when the bumper and bumper guard are removed...

Hi, the cam is as long as the block, so you can take some measurements to get a better idea. Sure, I have done the cam change in cars and vans, just not a 6 cylinder on a mustang. The six cylinder cams are longer than the V8 cams.
You have to loosen the exhaust because it will not want to be twisted upwards.
I highly recommend degreeing the cam, and using an adjustable timing chain set from vintageinlines. It is an easy engine to remove, it sounds like it is already almost halfway out. Good luck

The exhaust is not installed yet, and yes, I'm going to degree the cam for sure. Thanks for the recommendations.

Today I had a chance to check the clearances in my 68 Mustang with standard engine mounts. It seems like the only item that needs to be removed to change the cam while the engine is installed is the front bumper, good news for sure!

20230619_070925.jpg
20230619_070943.jpg
20230619_071015.jpg

It is definitely possible to change the camshaft. I loosened the bumper (didn't have to take it off completely) and just lifted it on the drivers side.
The only sketchy part is the distributor gear, that binds a little on the sheet metal under the grill, but it is possible to get it in.

Here are two more pictures:
20230619_123353.jpg
20230619_133319.jpg

I've used, remove motor mount to frame bolt, lift engine a couple of inches to clear.

In my case the engine would even have to be lowered hald an inch or so...
Understood, and glad you're able to get it out! Just posting for future reader's reference. My in-frame cam swaps were all trucks. . (So in hindsight probably should not have posted it here.)

clochard, can you note what o'clock the crank key is at when the rods or whatever are clear of the cam, that will help people removing their cam.

Sure.
The crank key is in between 4 and 5 o'clock, leaning more to 5 o'clock I would say.

cut grill (3 sides) bent up (removed radiator, etc). Welded the grill piece back @ end (not chrome but that could B done too). No jacking or other krazy stuff involved.

Back