All Small Six Before I Have My E0 Hex-Log Head Milled...

This relates to all small sixes

TrickSix

Before I have my E0 hex-log head milled, I need to remove the original head to check the deck height and confirm the .030 over bore I remember. I'd like to keep downtime before the new head is installed to a minimum. Depending on what I find, I want to be able to make a choice and follow a plan, and I need to know if my goals are realistic and achievable. I've looked around here a lot, and at other sites, and there are few hard and fast rules that can be simply and safely followed by any old fool, and a lot of conflicting information. Please forgive me for dragging this poor long dead horse from its grave for yet another beating! I suppose I should start with a description of what I have and what I want to do.

I still have my first car, a '66 Mustang convertible with the original 200 and C4. Been driving it 50 years this summer! The engine got a high-quality rebuild at a good shop, balanced and blueprinted, forty five years ago. Since then it has only been driven 25K - 30K miles. It still runs great, very smooth, but is starting to leak a little oil. The factory head is fine, but after this E0 head and a little money fell in my lap I decided to retire the original small-log head before it does wear out or crack. I'm hoping to wind up with about a 9:1 CR with the new head. I'd also like to keep the block in a state where the two heads would be interchangeable, so zero-decking it for a higher compression ratio on the E0 head would probably result in too high a CR with the old head and its small combustion chambers. I'm not sure how much it may have been milled in the long ago rebuild, but I'll be checking that. Plus I'd rather keep the engine in the car for now. After this head swap is fully integrated and it's running good, a full engine pull and refresh is planned for next year maybe. Hopefully all it needs is gaskets and seals, but while it's out all the other you might as wells will get replaced too.

So the most important factor for head interchangeability is my deck height. All my compression ratio calculations (well, the CR calculator's calculations) were made assuming a 3.71 bore and 3.126 stroke, and a Felpro gasket bore of 3.82 and compressed thickness of .050. From what I have seen, though not definitively, an original engine's compression height was about 0.019. Hard to say what mine actually is until I pull the head, but if it is .019 that would yield a 9:1 CR with a 50 cc combustion chamber. I hear new replacement pistons have a lower compression height than original pistons though. I'm not sure if that was the case 45 years ago when my pistons were replaced, or if the engine builder decked the block a bit to keep the dimension stock, as he was "blueprinting" the engine as well as balancing it. Anyway, a 50 cc combustion chamber should be very similar to the original head's volume, so I'm hoping the deck height is no larger.

So, how much can and/or should be milled off the newer E0 head? That's the tricky bit. It has been rebuilt at least once before, and was possibly milled a bit already. I've had new valves, guides, seals, and springs installed already. The old valves looked pretty far down in their seats, and I wanted the new ones in before I did volume measurements. I've measured the two end combustion chamber's volumes a couple times, and got 61 cc in front, and 60 cc in the back one. Accuracy was probably about +/- 1 cc. Just to see where it wound up, with the head level, I squirted 52 cc of fluid in a combustion chamber. Of course, without a cover plate there was a meniscus, but it looked like it would be just about to the bottom of the little lip on the shallow side of the chambers. One thing that concerned me some was that those lips weren't consistent looking from chamber to chamber. The general trend was shallower towards the rear, but only the front one is real noticeably different. Another head I have they are more uniform looking. I'm not sure if that is normal and harmless or a sign that the head was made or milled crooked or something.

One thing in my favor here is that the machine shop will give me two mill cuts for the price of one. I can make one conservative cut, I'm thinking maybe .050", re-measure, and recut for a hopefully very accurate result. But before I start hacking away at my head I'd like to know for sure that reducing the combustion chamber volume in an E0 head down to 50 cc or even a little smaller is possible and safe through milling alone. It looks like the cut might be about .060 or .070 inches or so. Another bit of knowledge I'd like from the wise seers here is if such a cut will mean I need adjustable rockers. It is said by some that the hydraulic lifters will handle that much change. I've got a nice rebuilt non-adjustable rocker shaft assembly I'd like to use if I can. I wouldn't mind putting some washers under the rocker shaft supports if I had to, if that actually works. So there it is, I'd appreciate any advice or insights you people have to offer. Thanks in advance.

While researching mill cut depth to combustion chamber volume in cc's removed ratios, I saw no consensus. Sources that were usually trusted were called out as false, and there was little agreement between other parties that made various claims. I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this - The 200 and 250 heads I have seen have all had similar looking combustion chambers, as far as area and shape at the open end anyway. If you made a template of the area of that part of the chamber, transferred the tracing to a sheet of say .050 aluminum, and then cut out that shape and dropped it in a graduated cylinder of water, that should give you all the information you need to figure it out. Much cleaner and simpler than doing multiple volume measurements with fluid and getting mill cuts in between. It should work until you get down to the bottom of the lip at the shallow side and the chamber cross section starts getting smaller.

I am rebuilding a 200. I have ordered custom flat top pistons with the compression height required to make the pistons flush with the block deck. I think this is better than milling the block deck and talking off 0.070. The block deck is getting thin which could lead to leaking head gaskets. I do not know if you can get hypereutectic pistons custom made nor the cost. I had forged pistons custom made. This IMO is the best way to go..

Hi TrickSix, yes you could use the aluminum shape of the Combustion Chamber to get some idea of the CC's. All of the late Big Log 200 & 250 Six Log Heads are exactly the same and stock they will measure about 62 CC's I have seen this to be the case many times, still it's best to actually CC them to know if the head has been cut any and have an Idea how much. I have always used a 100 CC Burette plus a 3/8's Thick piece of Plexiglas to seal it to the head I use some white grease. I set my heads up on a Stand that holds the head level as well as tilts it at an angle that I made for this operation and porting work. I use Alcohol with a few drops of Red Auto Transmission Fluid to color it and see it better this works to be very accurate means of measuring them. There is one of the Big Log Heads that was used on 170 Six Log Heads of 1969 & 1970, it's supposed to have the smallest Combustion Chambers of the Large Log Heads maybe also the 1971's they are denoted as an M Casting I don't have CC info on them. I have also found that with typical 200 & 250 Big Log Heads that a .010 Mill Cut will usually reduce the Combustion Chamber 2 CC's just as the Ford Falcon Performance Hand Book states.

keep it simple - run some Compression-calcs' for head cc's until they seem to match your target, then consult ..

'63 has a C8DE Maverick 170 with a D7DE head cut @ .070 with an early steel 170 - 3.75 bore ( 200/250 = 3.81") head gasket ( @ .025 ) yields SCR @ 9.5 or higher... . The '63 170 HiPO is plenty adequate for modern driving with 93 Octane.

BTW - flat top 170/144 pistons skew the compression calcs' results from 200/250 recessed piston cc's measurements.

relevant earlier post:

Actual volume measurement is best but can be tedious, my machinist simply subtracts how much has been milled from the OEM specs on the head which is OK IF head is uncut yet... Typically, milling the head .010" will result in an approximate reduction in volume of 2cc's.
from CI pages:
actual chamber volumes may vary considerably, which means they must be re-measured (cc'd). The key is to measure carefully and record the results, then mill the head accordingly to obtain the desired compression ratio. Typically, milling the head .010" will result in an approximate reduction in volume of 2cc's. For example: if your cylinder head currently has 62cc chambers, and you want 52cc's, you would need to mill .050" off the head to reduce the chamber volume by 10cc's.

FYI: small block six cylinder heads can be safely milled .090". (??)

DODE _70 Mav' 170 'closed chamber ' head OEM @ 54cc's measured

D6DE head cut .070/170/.025 gasket/@9.5:1/2BBl/Hooker Duals/2Bbl/Bench Seat/Tube Radio

. .

on an HBO set:

hav e fun

Last edited:
Don't forget with that .050 for the 52 CC Chamber size (or .060 for a 50 CC) then you still need to take another .025 off for the difference in Head Gasket Thicknesses between the OEM Steel Shim Gasket and the FelPro Composition Gasket's.

I'm hoping to wind up with about a 9:1 CR with the new head. I'd also like to keep the block in a state where the two heads would be interchangeable, so zero-decking it for a higher compression ratio on the E0 head would probably result in too high a CR with the old head and its small combustion chambers.
Hard to say what mine actually is until I pull the head, but if it is .019 that would yield a 9:1 CR with a 50 cc combustion chamber. I hear new replacement pistons have a lower compression height than original pistons though. I'm not sure if that was the case 45 years ago when my pistons were replaced, or if the engine builder decked the block a bit to keep the dimension stock, as he was "blueprinting" the engine as well as balancing it. Anyway, a 50 cc combustion chamber should be very similar to the original head's volume, so I'm hoping the deck height is no larger.

The old valves looked pretty far down in their seats, and I wanted the new ones in before I did volume measurements. I've measured the two end combustion chamber's volumes a couple times, and got 61 cc in front, and 60 cc in the back one. One thing that concerned me some was that those lips weren't consistent looking from chamber to chamber. The general trend was shallower towards the rear, but only the front one is real noticeably different. Another head I have they are more uniform looking.

One thing in my favor here is that the machine shop will give me two mill cuts for the price of one. I can make one conservative cut, I'm thinking maybe .050", re-measure, and recut for a hopefully very accurate result. But before I start hacking away at my head I'd like to know for sure that reducing the combustion chamber volume in an E0 head down to 50 cc or even a little smaller is possible and safe through milling alone. It looks like the cut might be about .060 or .070 inches or so. Another bit of knowledge I'd like from the wise seers here is if such a cut will mean I need adjustable rockers. It is said by some that the hydraulic lifters will handle that much change. I've got a nice rebuilt non-adjustable rocker shaft assembly I'd like to use if I can. I wouldn't mind putting some washers under the rocker shaft supports if I had to, if that actually works. So there it is, I'd appreciate any advice or insights you people have to offer. Thanks in advance.
Yes the 200 Six's with a stock Ford Piston that has a Compression Pin Height of 1.511 ending up at .019 down the hole, but all and the replacement Pistons (except for the Australian Spec ones) will have a Compression Pin Height of 1.500 and will end .030 down the hole also not counting if they have a 6.5cc Dish or A Flat Top Piston. If the current Small Log Head you have now and the New Large Log Head end up to have the same amount of Combustion Chamber CC's then the Compression Ratio will be exactly the same when every you interchange them on the Short Block. As for the differences in Combustion Chamber Size's this could be easily handled by grinding a little bit out of the areas of the smaller Chambers to match them to the Largest one.

1963 ½ to 1968 200 Six Small Log Heads usually have a 52 CC Combustion Chamber with the steel shim head gasket .022 thick and a piston .019 down the hole they had a .041 Quench Height and that gave them a 8.7 to 1 Compression Ratio. With the Piston .030 down the hole a .050 FelPro Head Gasket you are now at a Quench Height of .080 this is why it’s good to Zero Deck the Block or even cut it enough to have the pistons out the top of the hole, up to .010 which puts the Quench Height back at .040 and gets you back into the .035 to .050 Ideal Quench size. Good luck

Thanks all, there's some good information here. I've had some company show up early though, and I'm a little preoccupied. Hard to find more than a minute or two to sit here.

I am rebuilding a 200. I have ordered custom flat top pistons with the compression height required to make the pistons flush with the block deck. I think this is better than milling the block deck and talking off 0.070. The block deck is getting thin which could lead to leaking head gaskets. I do not know if you can get hypereutectic pistons custom made nor the cost. I had forged pistons custom made. This IMO is the best way to go..

Hello @alwill923, where did you order your pistons?

Back