All Small Six 7.5 rear end axle

This relates to all small sixes

alwill923

Supporter 2018
I read with interest the post "Which rear end for '65 Mustang Fastback w/ performance 200".
That and other posts never mention the 7.5 axle. I have a 7.5 axle from a 2000 ford ranger. I forget the ratio at the moment but not important.

I know they are 5 lug and I want to stay with my 4 lug (7.25 rear) axles so the flanges will have to be drilled. The axles tubes will have to be shortened, spring purchases will have to be relocated, etc. I am in Virginia and the pick and pull yards do not have old cars so It was either this or 8.8 which I do not need as my falcon is not a performance build. I can always buy new axles after shortening the tubes. I picked this axle as there are a variety of gear ratios available. I was interested in the weight and this appeared to be the lightest.

What is the opinion of these axles?

Attachments

• truck tag for axle.jpg
    truck tag for axle.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
Can't address opinions, but seems a good choice for weight and adequate for power output. The 86 code shows to be 3.73 ratio, a great street ratio.

The 1983 to 1992 Ranger 7.5 is about 56.50 Inches wide (this is about only 1 inch wider than the stock 7 1/4 inch) the 1993 to 2009 Rangers are about 58.50 inches wide. These 7.5 were used in the V6 Mustang too but some what wider in the fox Chassis Cars. The Ranger Axels can be narrowed easy just by by using two of the Short Axels and that way you only need to cut down the Axel Tube on the one side and move the Spring mounting Pads and the Axels could also be re-dilled to a 4 Lug. Many will have a Limited Slip Diff in them too. Best of luck on your swap.

The 1983 to 1992 Ranger 7.5 is about 56.50 Inches wide (this is about only 1 inch wider than the stock 7 1/4 inch) the 1993 to 2009 Rangers are about 58.50 inches wide. These 7.5 were used in the V6 Mustang too but some what wider in the fox Chassis Cars. The Ranger Axels can be narrowed easy just by by using two of the Short Axels and that way you only need to cut down the Axel Tube on the one side and move the Spring mounting Pads and the Axels could also be re-dilled to a 4 Lug. Many will have a Limited Slip Diff in them too. Best of luck on your swap.
Doing it this way puts the pinion out of centre under the car. By about 45 mm for our BW axles.

"... I want to stay with my 4 lug (7.25 rear) axles so the flanges will have to be drilled. The axles tubes will have to be shortened, spring purchases will have to be relocated, etc.... always buy new axles after shortening the tubes
. I picked this axle as there are a variety of gear ratios available. I was interested in the weight and this appeared to be the lightest.

What is the opinion of these axles?... "

not many of us could handle that much fabbn' , sounds like a good axle but re-invent the wheel to use it...

Early 70's Maverick 8" uses 4 Bolt axles.

The Ford 8" uses same internals (POSI) as iconic '9", bolts right under Falcon and Mustang and carrier is lighter.

'to retain the SIX / 4Bolt theme, - , the '61 'T-Bolt Six Comet' uses '71 Maverick 8" 4 Bolt rear axle paired with the '71 front spindles and 4 LUG hubs with 'Scarebird' disc conversion.

KISS' !

. .

'61 W/ '71 Maverick 8" - 3.80 Posi - Fabbd' Caltracs

Last edited:
the 8" sounds great. I will just run down to my pick and pull where they do not have anything older than say maybe a 90

Axles can be cut'n re-splined (the splines must B machined, nota standard shop procedure but...
inexpensive if having a local machinist). I've even hada flange welded on. (Its kinda like "Will this motor
work in this car?" answ?: "It depends !" - on choices, money, time, what's available, etc).

I saw another post here w/concerns about shortening "an out put shaft" less than an inch. That can also B done w/standard "shop stuff" (we use a pneumatic die grinder w/cut off wheel &/or carbide bit) and a steady hand. The splines need to perfectly match for gear mesh. Wortha try. If not some 1 like the guys in Paso Robles have shafts w/one end 1 oe, the other, another oe - just waiting to 'adapt'. One might see my choices are around time'n money, I have lill of either - so 'gotta get to work'~

Just like swappin yokes on DS, it can B DYI w/technique'n welding. 'Finding centers' ona lathe for axle truing is not DYI unless you have a lathe (we dont, but a bridgport sits ina corner). Hopefully we have enuff heads to cite axels that fit from off application (cheep to machine if not) and tubes that dont need cut (still no big deal) to center chunk in right location. I assume (important detail left out) an 8 inch will handel all you'll give it. Stangs have run 12s w/a 7.25. U could get one for 100$ w/a 3.20 (economy) and the 3.20 set alone i more than that. Having all ur details down 1st makes it easier for us to help. /OR/ stating ur need & allowing suggestions to meet it can B lot quicker toward solution.

Last edited:
I am kind of a "day late and a dollar short" on this one. I did not know there was a such thing as an 8 inch. I am in Virginia and I found one yard that had some falcons and old mustangs. They were all buried in mud up to the floor pans and in terrible shape, could just about get to them.

I have the 7.5 axle with the brakes and drums. Shortening the axle will be a challenge. I expected that and shorter shafts. I will have to change the 3.70 gears. Right now the 7.25 (3.5:1 gears) is in the car and working fine for now.
Sounds like a winter project.

8 inch is a good assembly especially when some 8 inch bits are added and its an LSD, Ive used them behind 4 speed 302s and belted them, never an issue. I run an Australian made BW78 now, cheaper. Shortening axles is really only applicable if you are only wanting to remove a small amount, by cutting the splines, if there is any excess. However I think this 7.5 assy uses clips to retain axles, which makes cutting hard. If you need shorter axles get new ones made, or if you lucky, find some that will work, definately NO welding, and recutting splines never works out well.

Last edited:
The 7.5 Ranger Axels have a Short Axel and a Long Axel so the easy way is to use 2 short axels and your only cutting a little off of one axel Tube to shorten that side. It its a very common Mod on the 7.5 and 8.8's.

As far as the Pinon being Off Center many Cars and Trucks come that way stock it is so that it works the U Joint's plus as small an amount as this would be its doubtful its going to cause any major trouble on the street.

The 1963 Falcon and Comets Rear Axles as well as the 1960, 1961, 1962 7 1/4 Axels are suppose to be 55.8 Inch Wide. The 1963 ½ Falcon & Comet V8 cars with their V8 8 Inch Axle is 55.8 inches wide they are the very best bolt in fit for the 1960 to 1963 Falcon’s & Comet’s they are also harder to find because of the much lower number built.

This is how the 8 Inches all Measure. Note: The lengths are a complete Axle from brake drum face to brake drum face. For 1964-73 Mustangs you subtract 5 inches to get the bare axle housing width measurement.

1963 ½ Falcon & Comet V8 cars their 8 Inch Axle is 55.8 inches wide

1974 Maverick 8 Inch is 56.50 inches Wide

1975 Mustang II 8 Inch is 57.00 inches Wide the spring Perches need moving for use in a Falcon / Comet

1965-66 Mustang 8 Inch is 57.25 inches Wide

1964-65 Falcon & Comet’s 58 inches Wide

1967-70 Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Fairlane 8 Inch is 59.25 inches Wide

1971-73 Mustang 8 Inch is 61.25 inches Wide

Many people have used the Maverick 8 Inch and next to the 1963 1/2 8 Inch it bolts right in and fits pretty well. Some have also use the 1965-66 Mustang or 1964-65 Falcon / Comet 8's too. So now the looking at the The 1983 to 1992 Ranger 7.5 Axle its suppose to be 56.50 Inches wide this is the exactly same as width as the Maverick 8 Inch that bolts in and fits good and is less than 3/4 (.720) Inch Wider or less than 3/8 of an inch per side all you might need to do is maybe change the Spring Pad Width's to the Falcon / Comet Specs. I don't know what the Ranger Spring Pad Width is right now but I an considering doing this swap and will be checking that out on my next trip to the wrecking yard. So to me this should be an "Easy Peasey" Swap into the early 1960 to 1963 Falcon's and Comet's even if it needs a little bit of welding to accomplish.

And here is another Bonus one for those with early 1960'sto 1965 Falcon's & Comet's to be able to fit some much wider still Wheels & Tires on the back. Another low cost, Light Weight, Plus Narrower still in a Rear Axle with Discs, a Posi, and a good selection of Gear Ratio's I am wondering if there is some parts interchange with the 7.5 Ranger Axles. These are the 1982 to 1993 Chevy S-10's, S-10 Blazer SUV, the GMC S-15 Jimmy & later named the GMC Jimmy SUV, Oldsmobile Barvada SUV, & maybe you might come across one of the supper rare 1991 to 1993 Turbo Charged GMC Syclones and Typhoons that were all wheel drive, they had a 7.5 Inch Rear Axle or also with a 8.5 Inch. These 2 Wheel Drive Rear Axles only measure 54.25" Wide and will give you little more room for wider Wheels & Tires and also use a set of the AFX / Supper Stock Drag Race type Rear Leaf Spring Relocators and you could get some really wide Rear Wheel & Tires. You would only need to re-drill Stud circle for the Ford pattern or use Chevy pattern wheels and some of the wheels might come with both Bolt Patterns too. .

As far as the Maverick 8 Inch Axle a simple Drum Brake up grade for them is to use the Granada Brakes they have the fined Drums and the Backing Plates will bolt right on for a 2 1/2 (2.5) Inch Wide Shoes. It's a direct swap and even will connect up to the stock Emergency Cables too. The first time I found out about these Large Drum Brake swaps was many years ago when doing them onto a 9 Inch Axle. I put a set of largest Station Wagon / Police / Taxi type 3 Inch wide Brake Shoe Backing Plates and Drums on the front and 2 1/2 Brake Shoe Backing Plate and Drums on the rear Axle of my 1958 Ranchero it was a complete bolt on job and man what a difference in stopping power that made. Also note that this works partly because that the 8 Inch Axles would all have the 28 Spline Axles and so do many of the 9 Inch Axles also have the same 28 Splines the Axles from a 8 or 9 Inch with 28 Splines will directly interchange between them if those Axles have the same Lengths.

Yes plenty of rigs with off center pinion, a good example being the 5 lug Dana 60-2 under early 70's Jeep J-2000 pickups the pinion is so far off center on it that a lot of guys use them to make a Dana 60 for CJ-5's&7's you get 2 short side axles and cut the long side axle tube so the short axle fits and viola a rear Dana 60 the right width for a wide track CJ and the center chunk is now more or less centered.

whats goin in? once in place whats it used for? Application, application, application
(DD, track, strip, canyon carvin, 2 Ln blk top? etc)

thnx John.
Isnt there a break between ol 7.5 (lack of strength)
and
newer 7.5 (beefier)?
Did that break (in time'n strength) come in late 90's?
Not make a difference in mild st builds (stock 302 swap-ins)?

Or reliable for power sports all the way thru design?
I like 'em as light. Would go there if near 8 or 8.8 rears. Think
I have 1 in my '85 fox wagon (3.8 bent6, AOD).

Back