All Small Six Which rear end for '65 Mustang Fastback w/ performance 200

This relates to all small sixes
You might want to consider a 5 speed along with a lower geared rear end.
The 3 speed C4 can shift a 200 out of it's power band. You want to keep the rpm up when shifting not wait for the 200 to get back in it's power band,
A stick shift also uses less power than a C4.
I have 6 forward gears and I love it when I keep the rpm up after shifting.
Thanks 78_200-C4. We did look into a Tremec 5 speed, and, right now, it's cost prohibitive to this project. To do it right, we'd be looking at another $4K or so. We are putting our money (and time) into a complete paint/body restoration. The entire car is tore apart right now, in bare metal, getting ready for primer/body work, and then up to NY to a custom shop for a gorgeous show paint job. For what I use the car for, the HP we are pushing is plenty fast enough. Sure, I'd like more get-up-and-go off the line, but I just can't justify putting $60K+ into the car... and we are getting close to that now (after the paint job).

3.25 gears with a C4 + 14" tires are good in town and on the freeway with a 200.
I drove my 200 from California to Missouri pulling an aluminum boat. I drove it there for 11 years then towed the boat back to California. Previously I ran the same 8" 3.25 rear end behind a 302 C4 in a 62 Ranchero for ten years. View attachment 17142
love it!!

C-4: least parasitic of the autos (I like the AOD better for the od).
WC (world class) bent8 T-5 can B adapted to the smaller bell 3.3L (see AA in Paso Robles)

I believe there's more aftr mrkt support for the 8.8 ford rear (perches, axels, gears, etc) than the 8. Might not matter in ur case (one
found is perfect 4 U). Get the info together 1st, then compare the 2? Buy after? Then order prts...

Isnt customizing fun (research, fab, source/purchase/return, repurchase, try/assembly, throw away, break, etc
Oh yeah! LOTS of fun! ;-)

Nice car.. I saw it in clt.. hung around awhile hoping to meet u.. but u never came around while I was "stocking" ur car.. haha.. Anyway I went with a t5 form 90s mustang. Of course I'm not doing the power tour. But can do 75mph on hwy. Plenty of go. Around I guess 2500 rpm.. t5 is the way to go.. thanks for sharing.

Nice car.. I saw it in clt.. hung around awhile hoping to meet u.. but u never came around while I was "stocking" ur car.. haha.. Anyway I went with a t5 form 90s mustang. Of course I'm not doing the power tour. But can do 75mph on hwy. Plenty of go. Around I guess 2500 rpm.. t5 is the way to go.. thanks for sharing.
Thank you Mark! Really sorry we didn’t get to meet you.

Sounds like you have a nice set up! We decided to stick with the auto trans for now, but maybe just put a different set of rear end gears for more launch power and to be more compatible with the 2500 stall converter.

You wouldn’t believe the car right now! All disassembled and getting ready to restore body/paint.

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpeg
    IMG_3790.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3789.jpeg
    IMG_3789.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3788.jpeg
    IMG_3788.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3787.jpeg
    IMG_3787.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3786.jpeg
    IMG_3786.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3783.jpeg
    IMG_3783.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3784.jpeg
    IMG_3784.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Hi from down under, I'd be interested to purchase the stock 2.83 gears from you if they're from a 7 1/4" rear end.

let me know if that's something you'd be interested in.

Thanks

Dave

Ive used an 8inch rear end behind my 302 powered 65 Falcons, and cained them without trouble, I did convert them to 4 pinion LSD by using some 9 inch parts. You will not have any trouble behind any six. Here in Australia we mostly use our local BW78 axles (camaro 9 bolt) they are plenty tough and lighter than either 8 or 9 inch.

Years ago a friend had me do a swap/conversion on his 65 Mustang 200 coupe,converted the front to Granada 5 lug discs, swapped the rear to a 2.80 geared 5 lug 8 inch and swapped the 3 speed for a T-bird turbo coupe T-5. The 3.97 1st gear of the turbo coupe T-5 worked great with the 2.80 rear gear, he couldn't have been happier. That car went across the country a couple of times and he said it cruised at freeway speeds effortlessly with the overdrive 5th gear. If your engine was a 250 or a big bell 200 block you could easily swap to an AOD to keep the auto and get the overdrive and lockup converter.The 8.8 is plenty strong and will probably be easier to find and also has less parasitic loss than the 9".

Goldie.. although u like the idea of 9inch and 5 lug.. I have on my mustang a 7¼ rear out of a sprint mustang with a 200cyl.. the sprint rear has "stock" 3.50 ratio.. just a thought.. if u can find a rear end out of a sprint.. I also have a set of 3.75 gears in a box "nos" for a 7¼.. if anyone is interested.. (probably wont let it go cheap at this time) thanks

Oh wow, make sure you post pictures when it's done,.. bet it will look awesome
Thanks Mark. I sure will! This group has been instrumental in helping us get this car to where it is today. Love sharing the progress with you all.

The 9'' with an aluminum center section and 1-1/2'' 35 spline axels added 20LBS. Same gear ratio saw no change in ET. over 8''.
I do not think that the better efficiency rear ends under heavy load are any better than the poor efficiency 9'' under heavy load, cruising probably so.

The 9'' with an aluminum center section and 1-1/2'' 35 spline axels added 20LBS. Same gear ratio saw no change in ET. over 8''.
I do not think that the better efficiency rear ends under heavy load are any better than the poor efficiency 9'' under heavy load, cruising probably so.
It was recently discussed on the Nivlac57 YouTube channel that the Ford 8.8 is a more weight effective alternative to other, heavier, read ends - just FYI.

Last edited:
For a dedicated race car that sees most of its movement under heavy acceleration you're right you're not going see a big difference, but in a street car that seldom sees heavy load in acceleration it can give better mileage and in the case of a low power engine give the perception of better throttle response. The only real reason the 9" got the nod over the 8" in the K code Mustangs was to make sure that there weren't a lot of warranty claims from guys sidestepping the clutch at 6000 rpm, I personally believe that unless someone put slicks on the car the 8 " would have still withstood even that. I know I got away with a of lot abuse with them.

For a dedicated race car that sees most of its movement under heavy acceleration you're right you're not going see a big difference, but in a street car that seldom sees heavy load in acceleration it can give better mileage and in the case of a low power engine give the perception of better throttle response. The only real reason the 9" got the nod over the 8" in the K code Mustangs was to make sure that there weren't a lot of warranty claims from guys sidestepping the clutch at 6000 rpm, I personally believe that unless someone put slicks on the car the 8 " would have still withstood even that. I know I got away with a of lot abuse with them.
I think that you are right.
I found out one night that 1 skinny kid with 3 guys from the football team, is like as putting on slicks. Blew the pinion out the side of the third member. Drove over the bent driveshaft with the pinion still attached. :shock:. If I live long enough, do not worry I am in good health, I plan to fab up a titanium axel housing. I like doing things like that.

Back