All Small Six Holley 1bbl Sniper Auto 6 to 1 Header Stock Head/Block Camshaft Options?

This relates to all small sixes
Hi, FNG here…I have a ‘67 Mustang w/ a stock 200, auto trans, & stock 8” rear. I’ve made a few upgrades: Borgenson P/S, A/C, SD 6 to 1 header with port divider, Holley Sniper 1BBL.

Before anyone gets all excited and starts in w/ dumping the auto for T-5 or eliminating accessories in favor of performance, I enjoy the cruisability and do not want a light to light car.

That said, I do want a bit of meanness at idle and torque off the line and was trying to determine what cam would be appropriate. I was thinking a 110 lobe, 256/256 hydraulic lifters.

However, I am concerned with vacuum for the accessories (eventually want to upgrade to p/b) and stall on the auto trans. Any suggestions or prior experience with a similar setup would be greatly appreciated!

*Note: Basically looking for DD capable/enjoyment with a somewhat lopey idle and torquey takeoff but smooth highway driving power.

Sounds like you have a good 1967 Mustang DD. A torque cam could make a noticeable improvement even more so with long tube headers based on empirical evidence .Just for consideration a 250 swap would give more offline torque and all around drivability, but requires more effort/time/money. And your current A/C and P/S brackets may not work on a 250.
Ford made many improvements in the 67 Mustang and it is one of my favorites. I had recently read this article about suspension improvements for the 67:

I appreciate the information, not necessarily the direction I want to go. Looking for camshaft input for my current setup, any suggestions for specs would be welcome.

I appreciate the information, not necessarily the direction I want to go. Looking for camshaft input for my current setup, any suggestions for specs would be welcome.
I will not make a suggestion for the small 6, but from previous posts the 256* cam does well. However that will not give a grumpy idle. If you want a noticeable idle but are feeding with a 1 barrel and won't see high rpm, focus on the .050" duration in conjunction with the Lobe Separation Angle. The tighter the LSA, the more quickly a cam begins to breathe. A tight LSA will cause reversion at idle with less .050" duration than a wide LSA, and will move more quickly into the torque curve at a lower rpm than a wide LSA. The bigger the duration #'s get, the higher the torque rpm. A narrow LSA gives more overlap for the same duration, every degree of LSA change changes the overlap by two degrees.

The benefit of headers increases with a narrow LSA and increased overlap. An auto trans makes getting off the chunky idle and quickly into the torque band easier with more overlap. Considering log intake, 1 barrel air supply, but also headers and auto trans, you're looking for low-end to mid rpm torque. A narrow LSA will effect that better than a wide LSA with more duration.

More overlap reduces idle vacuum, but vacuum leaps up as soon as rpm's increase. If you don't have power brakes, this is moot.

PS - like your set-up with an auto trans/AC/PS - nice!

Thank you, that information is helpful. I’ll have to take another look at the duration. I think LSA is going to have to be 109-110 due to the trans.

Back