All Small Six help putting together 200

This relates to all small sixes

Scott Thomas

Subscriber
Good afternoon all,

I joined the other day and need your wisdom. The wisest old ford man in town past a couple years back so I'm going to lean on all of you. The falcon I picked up a few years back, link to article about it in my intro post, is going to need some work and without guidance I'm going to end up confused.
It has a 200 with broken intake bosses and a destroyed exhaust manifold. I have acquired a C4, will need gone through, to replace the cruiseomatic and have a solid source for a 75 250 head. An older hot rodder pal told me I could have the 5 lug setup and 8" rear end under his 63-1/2 falcon.
Ideally I want a modest build for better performance and reliability that won't require I sell the house.
So far the biggest challenge I am having is sifting through all the information on the forums here and trying to keep track of what is relevant to my searching. Think young dog and a squirrel. The other big challenge is that I am not well versed on automotive tech, like cam degrees and squish etc. I have read many posts on the forums and understand the basics of what needs to happen with a 250 head for example but none of the particulars. Heck I'm not even sure how to word the questions let alone what order they oughta be in.
Thanks in advance to any and all responses.

Start by reading the falcon performance handbook, (which I've seen posted online as it's out of print) and Ford Inline Six: How to Rebuild & Modify which can be found on Amazon.

Hi, a few things to start with is; the later heads have a larger carb opening, so the original carb won't bolt on, and the combustion chambers are larger, so most guys cc the chambers and have the head milled. The head probably needs a valve job anyway. Most guys also upgrade the ignition system, especially if you have the older Load-O-Matic system. Most 6 cylinder engines have the high mount starter, so if the C4 you have is from a V8, the bell housing will not work. There is a tech section here on this site where you can learn a lot about your engine. Good luck

Thank you sir, I have read some about the work needed for the head to function well and the ignition. I will look close at the 250 donor and see what all I may be able to use. I haven't found anyone still alive local to help with a six. My C4 has the small bell.

Hi, you can certainly use the head. The later 200's and 250's used the same head. All the early six cylinder C4s use the small bell housing. Early 3 speeds, 2.73s, use the small bell housing, The large bell housing came out with the 3.03 3 speed, with the 9" clutch in 1966. The 250 uses the small block Ford bell housing. Do you know what year your engine is? It could have been replaced over the last 55 years. Good luck

Evening B Ron,
I don't want to lay in the mud and snow to get under the car and I'm having trouble getting my peepers on the block casting numbers. The head numbers date is 1965. I am gonna keep reading and learning. Thanks for your input.

I haven't received my copy yet however, I would post this in the Big Six forum thread and see what the fellas with all the experience say.

Welcome Scott, so you bought your Falcon in Portland? Where do you live? I’d like to see a picture of your current head with the broken intake bosses? The integral log intakes are nearly indestructible in my experience so I’m curious. I have a 65 Falcon Ranchero that needs a lot of work, I’m a fan of the 64-65 body styles too.

Mustang6,
Are you also a Scott? I am in Kalispell MT. I may have improperly explained the existing head condition, it is the exhaust mount bosses that are nonexistent on the head and the exhaust manifold is essentially in multiple pieces. I am working reacquiring my wrecked 65 ranchero for the 75 250 I took from a maverick and put in it, thinking of working that head for the 200 because it was a bit of work getting the 250 inside the 65 engine bay. I need to get out to it and look over the parts I put on it, sold it over 20 years ago. I need to learn more about putting this together so it handles and scoots.

I found it on Amazon but that is only for the 200 and 250. Is there one for the 300? Or would that pretty much be the same as the 200/250?
Those are two different engine families. The "Falcon" Six began as 144, and was later enlarged to 170, 200 and finally to 250 cubic inches.
The other modern Ford inline Six started at 240 cubic inches and was later enlarged to 300. Nothing interchanges between the two families---except maybe spark plugs or wires.

Hi Scott, yes same name. OK I thought maybe you were closer to me, but hey we are both in the US upper left corner!
Exhaust bosses makes a lot more sense thanks, they can get ravaged by heat and rust and snapped off bolts. Sounds like you have a known item in that 250 head and it could work for you. I’ve shaved those down to 52 cc chambers when I’ve used them on an older 200, otherwise you lose some significant compression/noticeable low end torque. Was the 250 so hard to transplant before that you wouldn’t consider it again? From what I’ve read the oil pan interference seems to be the biggest issue (along with overall height if you mount the motor high to address the oil pan), how did you solve that on the 65 Ranchero?

Congrats on the stang!!
Boohisss on the v8 swap. I can tell you you will save a ton on coin and a lot less headache by building and upgrading the i6.

Congrats on the stang!!
Boohisss on the v8 swap. I can tell you you will save a ton on coin and a lot less headache by building and upgrading the i6.
Excuse me sir, I don’t understand. I have a falcon and am trying to learn how to put together a better than stock 200 i6

Hi Scott, yes same name. OK I thought maybe you were closer to me, but hey we are both in the US upper left corner!
Exhaust bosses makes a lot more sense thanks, they can get ravaged by heat and rust and snapped off bolts. Sounds like you have a known item in that 250 head and it could work for you. I’ve shaved those down to 52 cc chambers when I’ve used them on an older 200, otherwise you lose some significant compression/noticeable low end torque. Was the 250 so hard to transplant before that you wouldn’t consider it again? From what I’ve read the oil pan interference seems to be the biggest issue (along with overall height if you mount the motor high to address the oil pan), how did you solve that on the 65 Ranchero?
Scott
The goofy thing about me not being a real
car guy is I do want that 250 back however, the length and height were a problem and I can’t remember how I was guided through the issue something like 27 years ago. I also have a nice rotating 170 that came as a package with the C4. Regarding milling, I haven’t read the books yet and assume in there I will learn about cc size etc.

Excuse me sir, I don’t understand. I have a falcon and am trying to learn how to put together a better than stock 200 i6
My deepest apologies!!! I could have swore you mentioned doing a swap. I just reread this thread and didn’t see it🫣
You are at the right place for getting info on your i6. A lot of knowledge here👍

Good morning, my education continues. I picked up a very tired 200 with the 250 head a couple weeks back. Been told by machinists that the block, being previously bored and having a giant ring ridge, has lived its life. The head also having been previously worked would not be a good donor for to build into a hot rod. Thinking my excitement and lack of knowledge is acting like an education, spending money for to learn. So the object now is to reassess. I have yet to remove the original 200 from my rig, hoping to find a solid block to build off of. Or locate a late 200 with the LM starter and find an AOD to put in with the 5 lug swap. Any thoughts other than keep reading the two books and try not to get confused?

Back