All Small Six 223 Oil Type

This relates to all small sixes

GTPicker

I believe the 223 in my galaxie calls for SAE 30 oil. Every single human on youtube seems to be running shell rotella 15-40 oil. What are you guys running in your small block 6 cylinders? I know I'm probably thinking about this too hard, but I don't want to go with an oil that's too light.

Hi, my go to oil for classic cars is Castrol GTX 10W40 or 20W50. You should be fine with your choice of Rotella. I'm sure other guys here have their own favorite. When guys explain how they do it right and everyone else is doing it wrong I just kind of smile. By the way, the SAE 30 that Ford calls for is not set in stone, I believe they recommend a multi grade oil for extremely cold climates. Good luck

yeah B Ron, multi as the straight 30W has no nice extras ('cleaners' is 1 of them).
All ways use what the owner's manny sez. But wait!...
"I dont have one"; "they no longer make that oil", etc. I have tried the rotella (diesel) w/my car's viscosity'n other ratings (10W30, 10W40). No need for ZDP adage.
I now use the 'european' formulations (is it 'deos" on the frnt w/a funny box around it?). Ever see the slew of letters/numbers on the 'bottle'? These are the standards the oil must pass to B approved for use. Each standard is an improvement over the last set of standards.
Like the controversy when the lead was taken out of the fuel many debates. Now ppl realize (on the most part) that tech improves and putting a bottle of lead in the tank is not needed. A slight hardening the ex valves B4 assembly would B of more benefit.

agreed... w/a switch to 10w30 in winter?
The 'europeans' R good too ('Dexos' on bottle) same weights seasonally.
Some think the rotella (T-4) is good as it's diesel oil meaning the ZDDP is still in there (as in the era of flat tappet motors like urs) but is not entirely necessary (never swap & use car oil ina diesel). Most anything I can think of (pretty empty brain tho) is backwards compatable as the tech improves w/time. True here as motors get tighter (closer tolerances) the oil is slipperer and more clingy. See the letters on the can/bottle ("meets specs for this car:"). You can see that on the following vid around the 6:30 time when he talks abt these very ltrs for his own car (API's ACEA- A3/B3 , A3/B4 - the API designations), They R way past ur '50s tech and into the end of the 1st 1/4 of the 21st century...

We can't go by the owner's manual or the oil cap guide, eh?

Do I C a rambler american in ur avatar (probably just cuz I had 1)

Back