Paps61

Just wanted to share my build project as it is finally complete(my first 6 cylinder build) and awaiting to be installed into my truck! Going into a ‘61 F100 unibody that was originally my grandfathers, i wanted to keep it looking as original as possible since the truck is completely original. 223 is 0.060” over bore with 0.060” milled off the head and 0.020” off the block. Compression is just over 10:1. Head is ported with SBC valves, bowl blend, cam is reground 222/222 @0.050” with .459/.459 lift on a 110 LSA. Cliffords performance single intake with 38mm DGMS (manual choke) carb and original oil bath air cleaner I converted to a paper filter. I used original PCV canister on the block and adapted a V100 PCV valve using a aeroquip p/s fitting and AN fittings in black, also used push lock and AN fittings in black for the heater hoses to the intake. Distributor is a duraspark II from
Davis unified ignition they actually installed the 223 gear and curved distributor which I will use a MSD 6AL to trigger. Total timing i believe is 34 degrees at 3k rpm. Starter is a power master y block high torque mini starter, just had to shave a little around where it mounts on the inside block area of bell housing, alternator is also a power master power gen 90 amp alt. Machine work and Engine built by Bob Goodwin from Goodwin Race engines, and myself.
I will repost a better video of it running once in the truck! My goal was to add some power and make it look as original as possible, to honor my grandfather who was a WWII vet I installed a .223 shell casing from the 21 gun salute ceremony as the fastener to the air cleaner lid. I wanted to thank all the members who have given great input here which helped in my build planning/ideas, also to bubba22349 for helping me with all my questions! Much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2482.jpeg
    IMG_2482.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2287.jpeg
    IMG_2287.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
That is awesome! I also just completed a 223 re-build. I wish I had the time to adapt the oil bath to paper filter for the carb. I hooked up a PCV system the same way you did with a breather at the valve cover oil fill stem.

That thing looks and sounds great! Well done!

That is awesome! I also just completed a 223 re-build. I wish I had the time to adapt the oil bath to paper filter for the carb. I hooked up a PCV system the same way you did with a breather at the valve cover oil fill stem.

That thing looks and sounds great! Well done!
Thank you! I didn’t have it in me to cut that original pcv line up, definitely a rare part, that aeroquip p/s fitting was the missing piece I needed fits to the original can perfectly! Once I get the engine in the truck I’ll test to see how the pcv works and give feedback. If you ever want detailed instructions on the oil bath to modify for a paper filter let me know. If you’re keeping the original single barrel carb it’s just a matter of cutting the top, if you have the Weber like mine I can give you all the part numbers for the adapters. I lucked out one of my neighbors has a CNC lathe and he cut the bottom part for me, the filter is an off the shelf filter fits perfectly!

Thank you! I didn’t have it in me to cut that original pcv line up, definitely a rare part, that aeroquip p/s fitting was the missing piece I needed fits to the original can perfectly! Once I get the engine in the truck I’ll test to see how the pcv works and give feedback. If you ever want detailed instructions on the oil bath to modify for a paper filter let me know. If you’re keeping the original single barrel carb it’s just a matter of cutting the top, if you have the Weber like mine I can give you all the part numbers for the adapters. I lucked out one of my neighbors has a CNC lathe and he cut the bottom part for me, the filter is an off the shelf filter fits perfectly!
I would love to get the oil bath upgrade done! As long as it fits with the break upgrade that's awful close. It would defently help it breather better. I have the Autolite 1100 on there. I have seen a few pics of people doing it but just cant get a good handle on how to do it.

Quick question... I am about to throw a Weber 38 on as soon as I get the exhaust done. Did you have to put bigger jets in your carb?

Quick question... I am about to throw a Weber 38 on as soon as I get the exhaust done. Did you have to put bigger jets in your carb?
I only ran it in on a test stand to break the cam in but it ran smooth. When I get it in the truck I was planning on checking with A/F sensor. I don’t know if the manual choke comes with different size jets vs the electric choke but the new carb came with a jet kit. Sorry I don’t have an answer for you. I did pull the plugs after first initial run in and they look good!
I would get your exhaust on drive it and then check the plugs then go from there.
My engine is sitting on a crate in the garage I have the front end off redoing all the suspension, brakes, wiring, so it might be a while before I have an update.
did you put the Clifford’s kit on? Any cam changes? The guys that use to build the engines for Clifford’s told me the dual setups were always rich out of the box but the single carb setups were close.
Good luck to you!

I would love to get the oil bath upgrade done! As long as it fits with the break upgrade that's awful close. It would defently help it breather better. I have the Autolite 1100 on there. I have seen a few pics of people doing it but just cant get a good handle on how to do it.
The oil bath air cleaner just completes the look plus for me I wanted to keep it I remember as a young kid my grandfather taking it off, cleaning it and adding new oil. So what I did was on the top piece where the steel mesh is I just cut the metal supports that hold the mesh in and cleared out the top so it’s now hollow. The bottom piece my neighbor has a CNC machine we centered it and cut exactly to the adapter I bought which is a 1” 5 1/8” spacer with o-ring on one side. The cut was so perfect that I snapped the spacer ring on and it’s a perfect tight fit so no need for sealer or gasket. Then the o-ring seal sits perfectly on top
Of the Weber to 5 1/8” adapter from LCE engineering. I used an off the shelf I believe 6” spectre air filter from autozone.

I clicked "like" and meant it- but I'd wager big that a 6" paper filter won't flow what the original bath filter flows. Not sure why the need to eliminate the oil bath filter- they are very efficient when maintained. Still used on big marine applications. Was always amazed at what it collected in a very clean, virtually dustless ocean environment.

That l@@ks and sounds great. Congrats on a job well done.
Can I ask what brand/color/ sheen you used on your exhaust manifold?great pick.
Thank you! It’s a black cerakote I’ll be back over at that shop in a couple days I’m having them coat the front suspension components I’ll get you the exact product and number! What’s great is you don’t have to tape off any threads like you do with powder coating!

I only ran it in on a test stand to break the cam in but it ran smooth. When I get it in the truck I was planning on checking with A/F sensor. I don’t know if the manual choke comes with different size jets vs the electric choke but the new carb came with a jet kit. Sorry I don’t have an answer for you. I did pull the plugs after first initial run in and they look good!
I would get your exhaust on drive it and then check the plugs then go from there.
My engine is sitting on a crate in the garage I have the front end off redoing all the suspension, brakes, wiring, so it might be a while before I have an update.
did you put the Clifford’s kit on? Any cam changes? The guys that use to build the engines for Clifford’s told me the dual setups were always rich out of the box but the single carb setups were close.
Good luck to you!
I actually got mine used. It came with the header (I modified), intake, and carb. By the look of the motor that I got it off of it was running way rich. I did get a jet kit for it just in case I need it. I am just using a stock cam, and my engine is 40 over now after a rebuild.

Thank you! It’s a black cerakote I’ll be back over at that shop in a couple days I’m having them coat the front suspension components I’ll get you the exact product and number! What’s great is you don’t have to tape off any threads like you do with powder coating!
Thanks you! 👍

I clicked "like" and meant it- but I'd wager big that a 6" paper filter won't flow what the original bath filter flows. Not sure why the need to eliminate the oil bath filter- they are very efficient when maintained. Still used on big marine applications. Was always amazed at what it collected in a very clean, virtually dustless ocean environment.
Thank you! Yes I grappled with this idea for a while I’ve had people say it’s more restrictive and some say it’s less. I know I could have fabricated a better adapter to fit the Weber if I was to retain the oil bath function but at the time I was also considering running EFI. I have yet to run it with the original housing and paper filter I’ll definitely update once it’s in and running. I did go with a taller filter which gives more of a gap from the lid to base hoping it will create more flow. I do have access to a flow bench, not sure how to perform a comparison test but I’m curious which would flow better. Any ideas how to test this? I would probably have to modify the base like mine now since it has a larger opening than the single barrel it had before and test paper vs oil.

Thank you! Yes I grappled with this idea for a while I’ve had people say it’s more restrictive and some say it’s less. I know I could have fabricated a better adapter to fit the Weber if I was to retain the oil bath function but at the time I was also considering running EFI. I have yet to run it with the original housing and paper filter I’ll definitely update once it’s in and running. I did go with a taller filter which gives more of a gap from the lid to base hoping it will create more flow. I do have access to a flow bench, not sure how to perform a comparison test but I’m curious which would flow better. Any ideas how to test this? I would probably have to modify the base like mine now since it has a larger opening than the single barrel it had before and test paper vs oil.
Thanks for the friendly response. If the paper element is tall, it's probably fine. It's not like these engines are consuming big air numbers. And certainly less work and cleaner to change than the oil system! You'll know if it's restrictive at heavy throttle if the carb goes lean. If it doesn't, leave it be.
Guess I was being subconsciously a little defensive- oil-bath gets put down or written off sometimes when they are in fact effective air filters.

The engine looks really great, nice work for sure. (y)

Back