Turbos and flatheads...

SuperMag

2K+
VIP
Given that flathead motors have generally much lower compression, does this make them good candidates for turbo charging? And would the compact nature of the valvetrain help in high RPM operation?

Flatheads suffer from a weak 3main bearing bottom end, which would seem to limit their ability to absorb boost. That being said Ron Main's Flatfire flathead powered streamliner has run over 300MPH at Bonneville running a huge Vortech blower, so the weak bottom end is obviously not insurmountable in an engine with a short life span between overhauls.

The extremely low inertia of flathead valve trains would be a huge advantage in high rev applcations and the low CR with a high quench Ricardo-style head seem to be made for a turbo. I'd still want a stronger bottom end if I were going to build one for the street

:unsure: I've (sort of) got a '49 Dodge with a flathead six in it. Seem's like it had more than 3 mains - but that rebuild was over 30 years ago...

broncr

It's been a while but I seem to remember 4 mains in a flathead six. Could be wrong, though. Did the V-8 flatties have 3? One of those Donovan Model D aluminum 4-bangers with the five main crank should turbo up quite nicely :D Too bad they don't make a six. Imagine a Donovan flathead six built to take a Ford 300 crank with 240 rods and twin turbos ;)
Joe

The V-8 Ford flathead had three main bearings, same as the majority of British-pattern undersqare four-cylinders. In fact, the classical inline Euromotors generally had two crankshaft throws twixt each main, i.e., 3-main Fours, 4-main Sixes, 5-main Straight Eights, etc. (Packard reportedly built a one-off inline 12)

For pure flexy weirdness, early '30's MG J-2s used TWO mains for a four-cylinder crank. :oops:, and Duesenberg Straight-Eight SOHC racing engines in the early '20's had 3-main Straight-Eight. Harry Miller copied Duesenberg's lower end design, but his DOHC 4V head breathed so much better and made so much HP that the cranks were doing evil catastrophic things...to his drivers. (Who needs a roll bar?)

Dodge/Chrysler/DeSoto/Plymouth flathead I-6s all had four mains, as did Ford's flathead AND 223/262 I-6s (indeed, so did the 144/early 170/200).

Some of the Straight Eights had five mains, some had NINE.

Odd-fire V-6's run two rods on a throw, same as modern V-8s, only four mains instead of five; Even-fire V-6s run offset throws, four mains, which sorta puts them halfway in the four-main I-6 mode :unsure:

The bench race still goes on: bearing speeds, frictional gains/losses, torsional rigidity, harmonics, skinny girls v. full-figured...

Eddie

No bench racing on this side of the Pacific!

index.1.jpg

SuperMag, you'll remember a while back I went on one of my more fanatical PM ramapages. In it, I talked about how I was working on making my own engine block. Well, one of the guys involved in the fasioning of his own steel 392 Hemi block in 1977 lent some huge exprience with this Super Charged flattie. With Western Austrailian bush welder, Bob St Lawrence as crew chief. Any guy with his talent will inspire success.

In the link below, these Aussie guys were working on there flattie rail with a view to really hitting the biggest nuimbers in the world with a flat headFord V8. The were always blowing heads, and suffering the thermal overloads from the exhast gases being lead out over the block, certainly the flatties worst feature. Ina turbo installation, the situation is even worse. Perhaps this is why the Ford six cylinder engine came out in 1941. A Ford V8 overheating in combat was never a pretty look....

Any way, the solution to making a hi-boost Flat-Liner is to re-organise the exhast ports to allow a bunch of bananas exhast to come out from under the super charger or intake manifold. It is a wonderfull idea, and solves most of the thermal load issues. The guys bailed on this engine, just when they were getting somewhere. There were early issues with using the intake manifold ports as exhasts, but they rapidly sorted it, and made it a realiable entity.

http://www.nostalgiadragracing.org/Latest News.htm

The main features of the new motor include :

5 Main Bearing Girdle & Billet Crank - One of the weaknesses in the flathead is the original 3 main bearing configuration. Our flathead has 5 main bearings and a billet steel crank shaft to provide the strongest possible bottom end. The new bearing configuration is contained in a one piece cast girdle attached to the bottom of the engine block and includes an oiling system to each main bearing.
Redesigned Inlet/Exhaust System - To improve the breathing of the flathead, the inlet and exhaust ports have been reversed, with the exhaust now exiting on top of the motor (through the old inlet ports) rather than going through the restrictive path in the block. The old exhaust ports have now become the inlet ports and have been opened up so they are also accessed from the top of the motor. As well as the advantage to engine breathing, it also takes a significant amount of heat out of the block which was generated by the path of the exhaust in the original blocks.

The first half pass with the new motor was very strong as demonstrated by the “wheels-upâ€￾ photo on the Photo page and the fact that it knocked 0.2 second off its best ever 330 foot time. After taking the slingshot back to the pits and checking everything, all appeared to be ok for a full run. However, during the next burnout, there was a small pop which we attributed to excess fuel on the rear cylinders. When the car launched there was a second pop and the engine was shutdown immediately. On inspection back in the pits it was found that the engine had leaned out on cylinders 1 & 2 resulting in blown head gaskets and a large chunk burned out of the aluminium head between those two cylinders. That was us out for the meeting.

Fascinating :) Of course a flathead six doesn't have the long exhaust port going through the block. I still like the idea of a Donovan six 8)
Joe

"High-Tech Forum", indeed...and we're BSing about L-head motors (snicker) :devilish:

Interesting, very interesting to read the above about the five-main lower end Ford V-8 Flathead. I had read rumors about a new five-main short block was under development, with hints that it may become available ("Build It...The Will Come...")

...Bearing Dollars, of course. I

I'm one of 'em; one of my lifetime ambitions has been to build a Stone-Woods-Cook '40 Willys coupe sortareplicar...and Ardun heads and Willys coupe are now being replicated and more available than ever. Why not a new flathead block?

Coolness :D !

Eddie

There are some great thermal barrier coatings available today that weren't around thirty years ago, as well as heat retention coatings and improved lubricants. Seems like the possibilities are still in abundance.

J.R.

Back