Supercharging

aussie7mains

Famous Member
Some time ago I wrote up a short speech about my readings and experiences of supercharging and propane fuel to present to my car club. Since its quiet here I thought I'd attach it for those who care to read it and chuckle:-.
Supercharging, what is it?

Supercharging is basicaly increasing the mass airflow of any given internal combustion engine.

This can be done in several different ways, using a compressor/pump is one way, and is the most common method.

So a natural aspirated engine will draw in the fuel air mixture under only atmospheric pressure, and even then the inefficiences of the engine usually wont allow the engine to fully utilise the cylinder volume it has, this is the volumetric efficiency, and is usually below 100%. sometimes as low as 50%

When we add a compressor or pump to the intake side of the engine we raise the intake pressure above atmospheric so that a higher VE is achieved and a larger mass of fuel air enters the engine, and therefore a higher cylinder pressure is achieved and torque is increased.

The method of compression/pumping used is influentual on the efficiency of the whole process, I will outline some of the methods and why I chose the one I used on my car.

Since we are trying to get a higher MASS flow into the engine, and this is determined by the pressure and temperature, we want the greatest compression with the least heat added to the air, this is called the adiabatic efficiency of the compressor/pump, and varies depending on the design of the compressor. For instance the older rootes type of blower seen on many engines is basicaly an air mover, it takes air into its casing, moves it by the rotors around to the outlet side where it enters the intake manifold and the engine. There is no compression in doing this, the pressure in the intake manifold is only raised because the blower is trying to move more air than the engine can displace, for instance if a blower moves 2litres of air per revolution, but the engine can only move 1 litre per rev, then the maths says the pressure will be raised to 2bar, assuming 1 bar is atmospheric pressure.

In the case of the rootes blower it unfortunately adds more heat to the air than would be added by the gas laws, its adiabatic efficiency is quite low, sometimes under 50%, this means of course the mass airflow is reduced and thus less torque.

There are other types of compressors, but in all cases there are some inefficiencys, for instance a centrifugal compressor, has a higher efficiency than the rootes but when driven by a turbine, the turbocharger, its looses efficiency here too, so overall only slightly better than the rootes, and here we have not mentioned the delay in increasing the manifold pressure usually experienced by this arrangement.

However a really well integrated turbo can work quite well, and most modern diesels are an example, however they still have a delay in producing boost. Volvo had used both types of supercharging at the same time, but it becomes very complicated.

Centrifugal compressors can be directly driven from the crankshaft by belts or gears and this has been done in the past, however we have a non linear boost curve, most of the raised pressure doesn’t come until very high revs are on board, early Novi Indy cars are an example.

Next we come to the screw type compressor, in this design we have two meshing rotors in a similar way to the rootes, however in this type we get internal compression with very high efficiency which only adds a small amount of heat to the air as its compressed, this compressor is widely used in industrial applications when large volumes of compressed air are required. These are harder to manufacture and require a high degree of accuracy to achieve success, its really only been the application of CNC machining that has allowed this type to enter the automotive market, they are still considered expensive.

In my car I decided this was the best unit for supercharging the engine I was to use, happily I was able to get one for a very good price. In my application the twin screw, or lysholm, to give credit to its designer, moves 1.1litres of mixture every revolution. I have driven this compressor at a ratio of 2.9:1, so its running almost 3 times crankshaft speed, thus it moves 3.3 litres per revolution, and since my engine is 3.3 litres in displacement, only half that every rev, in theory I should raise the manifold pressure by 2, giving 2 bar pressure. This has turned out to be slightly higher in practise.

I also wanted to run this engine on LPG, I knew that fuel consumption would be high, so felt that this low cost fuel would allow me to drive it without worrying about the cost. This has in fact been true. Also the LPG having a higher octane rating than any of the liquid fuels allows a higher compression ratio, and thus higher thermal efficiency. In this application I have run 9:1 CR, which is at least one ratio higher than I could run with petrol.

To make it all work I had to fabricate the intake manifold, blower drives, blower supports, its quite heavy, a blower bypass valve and GRA gas mixer inlet pipe, fitting this all into the XP was a bit of a task, but some nutting out got it done, I had read all the relavant texts and had some first had gas engine experience to call upon. There are very few supercharged LPG engine around so some things were experiemental.

So how did it all turn out? Very well in my opinion, the manifold pressured turned out to be a little higher than I had expected, usable torque is quite high around 450nm and available at any speed just by opening the throttle. Fuel consumption is high, but not quite as high as I thought it might be, around 23litres per 100km. LPG has allowed the engine to run very smoothly, it usually does, there is no problems with mixture formation as the gas is a perfect vapour when it enters the engine, unlike petrol.

Ignition timing was initially a problem, I had too much advance and consequent pinging at larger throttle openings, this has be resolved by fixing the spark advance. Lpg engines like a lot of advance at idle and low speeds, but less than a petrol engine as the rpm rises, I had added boost to the mix, and this was an unknown area for most people I asked, so fiddling around was the only way. At no time did I use a road wheel dyno to tune the engine, it was all done by the old seat of the pants method.

Detonation is often a problem with supercharged engines, but so far I have not heard any, I do get slight problems with belt slip, but Im using that as a manifold pressure limiter. I dont want to end up with sump full of pistons.

The 3.3 litre falcon six I have does not have any preparation for boost, and most of its internal parts are older used ones from second hand bits I found, I’m actually surprised they have held up so well. I get no problems with overheating. Overall I am very pleased with it. Compared to other high performance engines I have had, this one is by far the most easy to get along with, big cams carbies etc will get the power, but their behaviour is pretty bad, and fuel consumption is terrible.

I am interested! Many years ago I had the experience of working with, operating, as well as maintaining a 1 of 5 special built 1957 Diamond T Reo Trucks (Tractor with 5th Wheel Hitch), they were built to haul steel from Pittsburg out to California's Central Valley. It was Propane Powered and had a very powerful Big Inline Six "Hall Scott 590 Cu. In." it had a lot of Torque. Backing it up it had a 5 Speed Trans with a 2 Speed Rear Axle and a 3 Speed over and under Brown Lope Aux. Trans giving you 30 gear combo's it was quite a lot of fun shifting it could move or pull most anything. We used it as a water truck pulling a large capacity Tanker behind it. The oil and filter always stayed real clean compared to that of a typical gasoline or diesel engine's, tune ups also lasted much longer. I never got to go inside of it since it was still in top mechanical condition. But In tearing down several other typical Propane engines of various brands they showed very little wear except for the head having really bad valve seat recession. I also had the opportunity to get a Natural Gas Compressor Fueling Station once in the early 1990's for a reasonable cost and I seriously though about going to that system. I don't know what they use as a Carb if it was similar to the Propane Carbs though.

Ok, here ya go:-
GASEOUS MOTOR FUELS

What are gaseous motor fuels?

They are fuels that are supplied to an internal combustion engine that are a gas at normal temperatures and pressures, examples are LPG, methane, butane and many other combustible gasses.

Commonly used gas fuels are LPG and CNG, lpg being the most widely available. LPG is mixture of two main hydrocarbons, propane and butane, there are other gas in the mix but at such low levels as to be insignificant, lpg is derived from two main sources. The most common source is from the natural gas found in gas wells where it is part of the mix of gasses brought up from underground wells, mostly offshore in Australia. The well head gas goes through a process to separate the gases, these are then recombined to meet whatever spec is contracted for suppliers. LPG for motor fuel is remixed to be suitable for automotive fuel, and heating fuel, these mixtures vary throughout the year to suit the ambient temperatures, this is because the two main gases have different boiling points around – 42 for propane and -1 for butane.

Lpg is supplied as a pressurised liquid, the pressure is dependant on its temperature, but at 20 c its around 850kPa, the fuel can be stored under pressure indefinately and is quite safe like this. When it is to be supplied to and IC engine it must be converted into a vapour, this is done by reducing the pressure which produces low temperature vapour, heat is applied to the gas vapouriser to prevent freezing of it, this is why a constant flow of warm coolant is needed with these setups. There are liquid phase fuel injection systems which can use this cooling effect to raise volumetric efficiency of the engine. The Ford Falcon ecoLPI is such a system.

CNG is somewhat different, its main gas is methane, there are other gases in the mix, but here again in insignificant quantities, the main difference here to LPG is that its is difficult to store, compressing methane will not change its state to a liquid this can only be done by cooling it to around -160c which as you might imagine takes some effort to achieve, especially on a large scale as in LNG plants around the country where the LNG is prepared for mostly export, Australia is the largest exporter of LNG. To use methane in an IC engine the process is similar to LPG the pressure is reduced, heat is applied and then the gas is metered, usually by fuel injection into the engine.

LNG is almost the same as CNG once it has been released form it storage vessel, a cryogenic tank, some systems like the Westport one pump it out with special pumps. Then directly inject the NG straight into the cylinder via a special dual fuel setup, this is a good system, but expensive.

Other motor fuels can be biogas and hydrogen, biogas is quite widely used as fuel for generating sets running on rubbish dumps and piggeries waste pits, it is mostly methane but has quite a lot of impurities that can present problems.

Most engines converted or designed for gaseous fuels are spark ignited, usually converted automotive or heavy duty diesel engines. Diesel engines can be converted to dual fuel, methane and diesel fuel as a pilot injection. The later is widely used in LNG tankers where boil off gas is used to fuel the large two stroke diesel engines.

Automotive engines converted to LPG need only a few modifications to run succesfully on this fuel. However to get best efficiency on NG the compression ratio can be raised to 12:1 even when turbocharged, which is often applied to heavy duty engines. The diesel fuel injection methods can be used as a pilot injection to ignite the mixture of NG and air, when this is done the diesel engines compression ratio is kept at the 16-20:1 ratios that are typical of these engines. This is too high for NG and can lead to detonation in the cylinder which can be very destructive of pistons and valves. To reduce this effect exhaust gas recirculation is used to reduce combustion temperatures and oxides of nitrogen. The exhaust gas recirculation is usually cooled via a heat exchanger and controled by a valve. This is usually only applied to modern all electronic control engines, and has its own issues.

Biogas is another cleaner fuel that can be used in IC engines, however this fuel is mostly methane but carries a lot of impurities such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and many other gases like hydrogen sulphide, some of these are quite corrosive and need to be removed before its fed into the engine. Since most of these engines are applied to driving alternators and are stationary this isnt a big difficulty. Biogas is quite widely gathered from rubbish tips, animal manure pits, sewerage waste and other sources, usually the gas is the result of digestion of waste and generally low cost. The engines burning this fuel have long service lives up to 100,000 hours. These engines are almost always converted industrial diesels with spark ignition, Caterpillar for instance has a range of them. There are many other builders and there is a long history of this type of use.

Many other waste gas were used as fuels, such as blast furnance gas and mine gas.

Some have suggested hydrogen as IC fuel, it can be used of course, but here again storage becomes a problem. The other problem with hydrogen as IC fuel is that at best its still governed by the inefficiency of the OTTO cycle, which is at best around 40%. The use of a hydrogen fuel cell, where the gas is used directly to react with oxygen to give electrical energy, the efficiency is much higher, so that presents a far better option. Of course this gives the full electric option with all the benefits this can bring, like regenerative braking etc.

Application of LPG to automotive engines.

When using LPG for motor fuels the first item is of course the fuel tank, this is a pressure vessel and as such need certification and correct fittment, usually under the car, there are rules for this As1425 applies.

Next we have the safety lock offs one usually at the tank and one near the gas convertor, these are controlled electrically by a control box with inputs from the ignition system.

The gas convertor is next, its job is to convert the high pressure liquid into lower pressure vapour. Since this is a change of state heat is needed to prevent freezing of the convertor, this is done by running some of the engines coolant through it continuiously. The convertor then feeds low pressure vapour to the engine via a mixer where air and fuel mix before being inducted into the engines cylinders. The convertor in non EFI cases controlls the fuel/air ratio in conjunction with the mixer.

Once the mixer enters the engine it is burnt in the normal way.

LPG engines require some differences from the petrol engine to get best performance from the fuel, a different spark advance is required, higher compression ratio can be used up to about 11:1. Other changes may be needed to get long life, eg better valve materials and cooling system capacity increases.

Cng can be used in a similar way, the fuel tanks operate at much higher pressures.

Lng again is similar, with the exception of cryogenic storage of the natural gas as a liquid at very low temperatures.

I have, through my work been involved in all three fuels over a period of 20 years, this was mainly applied to bus and truck engines.
I worked for Westport of Vancouver for a few years.

If you need further info, look at the photos of my blown setup to see the GRA mixer. Ive used the OMVL convertors, they work very well with a simple mixer type of thing.

Very interesting info! If was going to build a LPG powered all out Drag Race Car powered by a Dual Turbo Ford Six, what would be the ideal Fuel System Parts that you should use?

Very interesting info! If was going to build a LPG powered all out Drag Race Car powered by a Dual Turbo Ford Six, what would be the ideal Fuel System Parts that you should use?
These days there are fuel injection systems where the heat needed to change state of LPG from liquid to vapour is used to cool the intake charge. The EcoLPI falcons had this system for the last couple of models. This would be where I would look. There is a guy in Western Australia (Errol Quartermaine) that runs a twin turbo (parrallel) Ford barra DOHC six, he has destroked it to around 3 litres, it's very fast:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7EiAKG1VQ
He runs methanol, and I think mechanical injection, it was a manual trans car, maybe not now. There was a 65 Mustang with a turbo SOHC six on LPG that was also very fast:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvQmJ34mRQ
He later went to methanol too.
I would bother not with any six other than the OHC or barra, these are by far the best. you can get very high levels of power on stock bits.

Yes I agree and I would sure love to be able to get a hold of a Barra, there just aren't very many that made it over here.

Ok, here ya go:-
GASEOUS MOTOR FUELS

What are gaseous motor fuels?

They are fuels that are supplied to an internal combustion engine that are a gas at normal temperatures and pressures, examples are LPG, methane, butane and many other combustible gasses.

Commonly used gas fuels are LPG and CNG, lpg being the most widely available. LPG is mixture of two main hydrocarbons, propane and butane, there are other gas in the mix but at such low levels as to be insignificant, lpg is derived from two main sources. The most common source is from the natural gas found in gas wells where it is part of the mix of gasses brought up from underground wells, mostly offshore in Australia. The well head gas goes through a process to separate the gases, these are then recombined to meet whatever spec is contracted for suppliers. LPG for motor fuel is remixed to be suitable for automotive fuel, and heating fuel, these mixtures vary throughout the year to suit the ambient temperatures, this is because the two main gases have different boiling points around – 42 for propane and -1 for butane.

Lpg is supplied as a pressurised liquid, the pressure is dependant on its temperature, but at 20 c its around 850kPa, the fuel can be stored under pressure indefinately and is quite safe like this. When it is to be supplied to and IC engine it must be converted into a vapour, this is done by reducing the pressure which produces low temperature vapour, heat is applied to the gas vapouriser to prevent freezing of it, this is why a constant flow of warm coolant is needed with these setups. There are liquid phase fuel injection systems which can use this cooling effect to raise volumetric efficiency of the engine. The Ford Falcon ecoLPI is such a system.

CNG is somewhat different, its main gas is methane, there are other gases in the mix, but here again in insignificant quantities, the main difference here to LPG is that its is difficult to store, compressing methane will not change its state to a liquid this can only be done by cooling it to around -160c which as you might imagine takes some effort to achieve, especially on a large scale as in LNG plants around the country where the LNG is prepared for mostly export, Australia is the largest exporter of LNG. To use methane in an IC engine the process is similar to LPG the pressure is reduced, heat is applied and then the gas is metered, usually by fuel injection into the engine.

LNG is almost the same as CNG once it has been released form it storage vessel, a cryogenic tank, some systems like the Westport one pump it out with special pumps. Then directly inject the NG straight into the cylinder via a special dual fuel setup, this is a good system, but expensive.

Other motor fuels can be biogas and hydrogen, biogas is quite widely used as fuel for generating sets running on rubbish dumps and piggeries waste pits, it is mostly methane but has quite a lot of impurities that can present problems.

Most engines converted or designed for gaseous fuels are spark ignited, usually converted automotive or heavy duty diesel engines. Diesel engines can be converted to dual fuel, methane and diesel fuel as a pilot injection. The later is widely used in LNG tankers where boil off gas is used to fuel the large two stroke diesel engines.

Automotive engines converted to LPG need only a few modifications to run succesfully on this fuel. However to get best efficiency on NG the compression ratio can be raised to 12:1 even when turbocharged, which is often applied to heavy duty engines. The diesel fuel injection methods can be used as a pilot injection to ignite the mixture of NG and air, when this is done the diesel engines compression ratio is kept at the 16-20:1 ratios that are typical of these engines. This is too high for NG and can lead to detonation in the cylinder which can be very destructive of pistons and valves. To reduce this effect exhaust gas recirculation is used to reduce combustion temperatures and oxides of nitrogen. The exhaust gas recirculation is usually cooled via a heat exchanger and controled by a valve. This is usually only applied to modern all electronic control engines, and has its own issues.

Biogas is another cleaner fuel that can be used in IC engines, however this fuel is mostly methane but carries a lot of impurities such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and many other gases like hydrogen sulphide, some of these are quite corrosive and need to be removed before its fed into the engine. Since most of these engines are applied to driving alternators and are stationary this isnt a big difficulty. Biogas is quite widely gathered from rubbish tips, animal manure pits, sewerage waste and other sources, usually the gas is the result of digestion of waste and generally low cost. The engines burning this fuel have long service lives up to 100,000 hours. These engines are almost always converted industrial diesels with spark ignition, Caterpillar for instance has a range of them. There are many other builders and there is a long history of this type of use.

Many other waste gas were used as fuels, such as blast furnance gas and mine gas.

Some have suggested hydrogen as IC fuel, it can be used of course, but here again storage becomes a problem. The other problem with hydrogen as IC fuel is that at best its still governed by the inefficiency of the OTTO cycle, which is at best around 40%. The use of a hydrogen fuel cell, where the gas is used directly to react with oxygen to give electrical energy, the efficiency is much higher, so that presents a far better option. Of course this gives the full electric option with all the benefits this can bring, like regenerative braking etc.

Application of LPG to automotive engines.

When using LPG for motor fuels the first item is of course the fuel tank, this is a pressure vessel and as such need certification and correct fittment, usually under the car, there are rules for this As1425 applies.

Next we have the safety lock offs one usually at the tank and one near the gas convertor, these are controlled electrically by a control box with inputs from the ignition system.

The gas convertor is next, its job is to convert the high pressure liquid into lower pressure vapour. Since this is a change of state heat is needed to prevent freezing of the convertor, this is done by running some of the engines coolant through it continuiously. The convertor then feeds low pressure vapour to the engine via a mixer where air and fuel mix before being inducted into the engines cylinders. The convertor in non EFI cases controlls the fuel/air ratio in conjunction with the mixer.

Once the mixer enters the engine it is burnt in the normal way.

LPG engines require some differences from the petrol engine to get best performance from the fuel, a different spark advance is required, higher compression ratio can be used up to about 11:1. Other changes may be needed to get long life, eg better valve materials and cooling system capacity increases.

Cng can be used in a similar way, the fuel tanks operate at much higher pressures.

Lng again is similar, with the exception of cryogenic storage of the natural gas as a liquid at very low temperatures.

I have, through my work been involved in all three fuels over a period of 20 years, this was mainly applied to bus and truck engines.
I worked for Westport of Vancouver for a few years.

If you need further info, look at the photos of my blown setup to see the GRA mixer. Ive used the OMVL convertors, they work very well with a simple mixer type of thing.

Attachments

• B405637A-FF79-4116-BE24-DD342ACB0229.jpeg
    B405637A-FF79-4116-BE24-DD342ACB0229.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 21620EB4-A40A-436E-B020-52BF068F60EA.jpeg
    21620EB4-A40A-436E-B020-52BF068F60EA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 396ABB76-5D68-403D-AEA5-77B756C09B29.jpeg
    396ABB76-5D68-403D-AEA5-77B756C09B29.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 69C691D2-FDCA-44CD-B11F-8B380CD72754.jpeg
    69C691D2-FDCA-44CD-B11F-8B380CD72754.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Ive used the Impco Ca425 and model E on my cobra replica I built many years ago, it went well. I like your intake manifold , it should work well. Impco was popular here but now that the government withdrew its subsidy for LPG install, the whole LPG thing went dead, There is still quite a lot around here in Victoria, but not so much in other states. I used the GRA mixer, as its a fixed venturi with a needle type of mixture valve to allow easy tuning. The GRA was made to fit the throttle body flange of the EFI crossflows that were around at the time. You can vary the shape of the needle to suit the fueling requirements of the engine. The impco isnt like this so not as tunable. They also have varying venturi sizes to allow for airflow variations depending on your application. I run a 400 cfm rated unit on mine. I thought it might be too small, but it has not worked out to be so. The blower may be able to "suck" harder than the NA flow. The boost gauge I have is off a WW2 bomber, so I have 1 indictor to the pressure side and one to the suction side of the blower, its fascinating to watch the goings on of the pressures when driving. The gauge shown only has one needle, mine has two. This is the best gauge money could buy, I got lucky and got one for $20.boost gauge.jpgxp ute 094.JPG

Hi Engine Fan, thank you for those pictures. That's a very good, looking Intake Manifold your building and I like how you integrated the LPG Carb and Mixer parts neatly into the package, looks Excellent! Looks like you doing this on a Ford Big Six 240 or 300. What are some the other details of your build up?

Ive used the Impco Ca425 and model E on my cobra replica I built many years ago, it went well. I like your intake manifold , it should work well. Impco was popular here but now that the government withdrew its subsidy for LPG install, the whole LPG thing went dead, There is still quite a lot around here in Victoria, but not so much in other states. I used the GRA mixer, as its a fixed venturi with a needle type of mixture valve to allow easy tuning. The GRA was made to fit the throttle body flange of the EFI crossflows that were around at the time. You can vary the shape of the needle to suit the fueling requirements of the engine. The impco isnt like this so not as tunable. They also have varying venturi sizes to allow for airflow variations depending on your application. I run a 400 cfm rated unit on mine. I thought it might be too small, but it has not worked out to be so. The blower may be able to "suck" harder than the NA flow. The boost gauge I have is off a WW2 bomber, so I have 1 indictor to the pressure side and one to the suction side of the blower, its fascinating to watch the goings on of the pressures when driving. The gauge shown only has one needle, mine has two. This is the best gauge money could buy, I got lucky and got one for $20.View attachment 14103View attachment 14104
Very nice super charger set up. Don't think the GRA carb ever made it over to North America, at least not here in Ontario Canada. The adjustable part of it would certainly be nice.

Back