it's Turbo time!!!!!! still some questions

X

I've finnaly ordered a bunch of stuff for my turbo s6 project...
Brand new holley 350 circle track (it was cheaper then a standard 350) 2 bll with no choke

It said that it comes with floats for cornering I guess then it comes with the nitrophyl floats

if not I've ordered another nitrophyl float that was before I even bought the carb

holley adjust a jets <--- any comments on these in turboch. carb good bad? already bought it

mallory 4309 fuel pressure reg. (boost referenced)
Carter In-Line MFI Fuel Pump p5000
bov similar to linc's200
TurboXS Boost Controller

summit getting richer an Im getting poorer....

also bought from a friend a used turbonetics deltagate wg

I got it today my schneider 264 cam with matching springs and lifters! 224@0.050 0.490 lift

good or too big?
I could also get a 244 which is a little above the stock cam.

I also got stainless steel oversize valves from sivalves
but these will not be used for now...

head will be stock one with mild porting (it's good to have spare engines 8) )

2 days ago I wanted to get a mercedes benz kompressor intercooler on ebay the bid started at 26$ and ended at $100 which was too much imo for a used one...

so now I am going to use a small one from a nissan silvia got it for $15
they say these are good up to 12 psi ...I was thinking if converting this to a watercooled one since its small....water going to a pump to oil cooler the return to ic....some people have done this with succes...so they say
but then again need to find someone who can weld alum. for cheap...

the most important thing missing is the turbo itself.. I am going to get 1 from a 300zx which is a t3 for temp. use... when and if I can get this running good then I will get a matched size turbo...

need fuel pressure gauge, boost gauge

next on my list is a zeitronix wideband hopefully in 2 months have saved enough to get it with the boost and egt sensor

I wanted to get a csu carb bonnet but at $165 when it comes here would be plus a $100 import tax :roll:

so I decided that I am going to let my friends at a metal shop make 1 for me

so I got a question about a bonnet design

what about making one that it blows directly into the carb intake and not onto the unused area?

here is a pic of what I am trying to explain....

218837bonnet.jpeg

so as you see I have almost everything needed... 8)
any comments ...suggestions are welcome

I'm no expert but 224° @ .050" sounds like a bit too much duration for a turbo to me Did you talk the application over with your cam grinder's tech department? Turbos do not like overlap; you end up dumping boost right out the exhaust instead of into the cylinder where you want it. FWIW Isky's turbo specific cams are 208°/194° @ .050" and are ground on 114° centers. The moderate intake duration allows the intake charge to fill but the short exhaust duration and the wide lobe centers combine to reduce overlap. A pure race engine can handle a bit more durarion at the expense of drivability, but 224° @ .050 seems like too much even for the strip.

I didnt buy the carb from summit but the summitpartn for the standard 350 is HLY-0-7448

I bought mine on ebay for $209

About the cam... I bought the cam actually to run my n/a engine and got smallest they had so I thought I might use it for the turbo project also

I'll just put it in the car to run it for a while

by december I will start putting together the turbo project

so I will have the 244 by then. :p

Why not CALL Schneider and talk to them. They're a grinder; they'll make you what you need. There's absolutely no reason to buy something "close enough" off the shelf.

Wow, you sure dropped a bunch of money!

I bought a 214*/214* cam for mine.
It'll be close enough for what I want to do without spending the money on a custom cam.

A few of my new stuff :p

the edelbrock kit is for my edel 500 carb on my temp. n/a engine :)

143498turbosht.jpeg

176947turbosht2.jpeg

on the topic of cams is there anyone making a good turbo cam for us? being my gen one setup I figured on running the stock cam and once I get a job (graduate in dec) that I was planning on a full forged slug motor with a alloy head on it and a T4 and prob EFI adn will be looking for a cam then but was wondering what was out there.

a few to whom I've talked with (1 of them has a turbo inline 6 / FI running 9's in the 1/4)

told me that I cannot go wrong with the stock cam

However I am thinking of getting another cam for this project that has slightly higher lift and not much dur....then the stock one

the stock cam is a 240 dur 0.395"lift
the other cam I want is 244 dur 0.436"lift

the one on the pic is 264 dur 0.490lift

I don't think I will be sorry for running the stock cam, but w/ the 1.6 adj rockers. I should be happy with what my intentions are for this bronco. Lots of torque (and on the quicker side a bit)!

Kirk ' 73 bronco

turbo project coming slowly

838251carbupdate3.jpeg

616757ic.jpg

097896bovv.jpg

traded the bov I got on ebay for a hks one

I finnally bought a turbo (on it's way) a new one
a holset h1c with a 12cm exhaust which is similar to a hx35 exhaust :D

time to start modifying the exhaust manifold :eek:

bought it one ebay just a stock carb added the adjust a jets, shaved choke it came with solid floats installed :D

Back