Advice needed. 300 single turbo

300turbski

So I am planning a 300 turbo build which may or may not come to life depending on many factors.
Here's my build list so far. What am I missing?
Holley terminator x 550-937 OR MS3X and associated hardware.
3/8" npt bung 4x
injectors (42lb at 43 psi)
EBC (summit)
throttle body (ebay)
IAT sensor (ebay/amazon)
turbo (hx-35)
CLT oil temp sensor 2x (ebay/amazon)
intercooler (ebay)
charge piping (ebay)
intake manifold (custom or aussiespeed)
cam (not sure what to get. advice needed)
ARP hardware
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
fuel pump
fel-pro 1024
Not sure about internals such as pistons/rods etc. I am going to try and find forged internals from an HD truck unless there's something better.
What am I missing? what cam would you recommend i get? looking for power from 1800-4000 or 4500 rpms. what power can I get with stock internals? also need advice about head/head work. Trying to keep it nice where it matters and cheap where it doesn't. Need advice about ignition as well. Open to buying from junkyards.

Last edited:
What year truck and engine?
Will this engine be for hauling loads or light duty?
How much boost do you want to run?
Which transmission?

Based on your injector choice, I'm guessing you expect about 300 HP (plus/minus) as those look like the same injectors I have (Ford Lightening). One item I don't see on your list is a blow-off valve. And you will need a 2 BAR MAP sensor if you go with the Terminator. If you use the MS3, it should have the 3 BAR MAP sensor in it. You may also want a HD exhaust manifold and a J pipe to mount the turbo.
If your engine is a pre EFI version now, I would consider getting a complete EFI truck for parts. That way you get all the sensors including the knock sensor, fuel system, Intake manifold, throttle body, TFI ignition and wiring harneses. I bought a good running '94 F150 for $500 USD that happend to have a good repacement engine from mid year '95. I didn't realize it when I ordered new pistons that Ford used hyper eutectic pistons from mid-year '95 through '96 and I didn't need a re-bore, so the original pistons would have been okay. It's all the little things that nickel & dime you to death. So buying a parts truck will probably save you a bunch of $. I made the back half of the truck into a trailer that could be sold to recover some expense. Good luck with your project.

What year truck and engine?
Will this engine be for hauling loads or light duty?
How much boost do you want to run?
Which transmission?
I've found an 85 and an 87. The 87 is carbureted and comes with an 85 parts truck.
1987 f150 shortbed 4x4

1985 Ford F-150 XL 4x4

I don't intend to tow much with it, if at all.
Max 12 psi, I would probably run it at 6-8 for daily use.

I'd rather have a stick shift, but if I find a good deal on a truck with an auto I'll probably get it.

The most economical combination would be to use hypereutectic pistons with stock crankshaft and stock connecting rods.
You can use the stock heads but will have to change valve springs and retainers and keepers.
Your heads will probably have pedestal mount rocker arms so you can use the Scorpion 1059 1.73 ratio roller rocker arms.
You would save a lot of money if you can find a 1987 and later EFI intake manifold with throttle body.

Use the HD exhaust manifold with a "J" bend pipe for the turbocharger.
Use the custom Crower turbo camshaft.

20210227_142029-jpg.5595

20210825_182036-jpg.8123

20230312_182335-jpg.15374

Last edited:
Here's a sample parts truck in the right price range. Would have to ask if these are 300 sixes? And these are Canadian prices, so about $600 USD

And another.

The most economical combination would be to use hypereutectic pistons with stock crankshaft and stock connecting rods.
You can use the stock heads but will have to change valve springs and retainers and keepers.
Your heads will probably have pedestal mount rocker arms so you can use the Scorpion 1059 1.73 ratio roller rocker arms.
You would save a lot of money if you can find a 1987 and later EFI intake manifold with throttle body.

Use the HD exhaust manifold with a "J" bend pipe for the turbocharger.
Use the custom Crower turbo camshaft.

20210227_142029-jpg.5595

20210825_182036-jpg.8123

20230312_182335-jpg.15374
What should I do regarding headwork? Just get it magnafluxed and roll with it? What valve springs, retainers etc.

Does the divided housing on the hx35 matter? Or should I find an open one.

What should I do regarding headwork? Just get it magnafluxed and roll with it? What valve springs, retainers etc.

Does the divided housing on the hx35 matter? Or should I find an open one.
You have two options for a head.
You can just get it magnafluxed, do a valve job and roll with it or if you want to upgrade, get the Promaxx CNC ported head.
Everyone has figured out that by the time you try to upgrade a stock head with porting, bigger valves and exhaust valve hardened seat inserts, you have more money in the stock head and still don't have a head as good as the Promaxx head.

The valve springs depends on if you end up with the 4.750" long stock valves or the 4.810" long stock valves.

Get the open housing from Turbo Lab America.
The open housing eliminates the internal wastegate and will allow you to use an external wastegate so you can regulate boost at any low level.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun project! I just happen to have done a lot of this sort of thing for many years, and I've been paying it forward where I can help. I have helped many, and have more-or-less found what it takes to make smiles and avoid frustrations. You are the point of your project, so you have to be honest with yourself. While there can be a lot to say, I have some random thoughts that may help you in your decisions, in no particular order, and calculated from stock engine spec's:

The HX35 is borderline and blowing quite hot at your calculated flow. You may want to consider a turbo that is more suited for flow (than high pressure) and with a turbine housing that will spool at reasonable rpm. While several options; bang the the buck could be a Garrett TP38 or GTP38, as used on the 7.3L diesels, with a .84 or 1.0 hot side to get boost where you need it. A hint is that your engine is a 5L, so stuff that works for a stock 302 can often work for this.

Anything that helps NA power, airflow and exhaust flow will help make more power on boost. Holding rpm to reasonable levels aids reliability. Boost is fine. RPM is fine. Getting greedy with boost and RPM is risky. Stock parts are fine for street boost levels, with typical upgrades you would do for NA. High-rpm NA mods are not the right direction for lower-rpm and boost. Use good fuel, good tuning, and appropriate ring gaps. Use (mostly) what your engine has and make a baseline, which will then clearly show where the combo needs help to make more performance most effectively.

42lb injectors are about right for the 425+ hp this combo could make at 2-bar (15 psi) at 5000 rpm. Limiting to 12 psi? About 400 on tap. Use whatever manifold gets you there the quickest, or cheapest, or that you can fabricate or mod easily. One of the goals at this point is to get it done in the first version as quickly and inexpensively as possible. Why? Because once you have a baseline of what it can do in that first form, you will know exactly how it needs to change to get you to your next goals. There are always things that work differently than you expected, and always next goals. No more guessing, and you get where you want quicker and cheaper.

MS3X is fine, although far more than you need for this. You don't need bells and whistles, you need basic, easily-tuned control. Unless you know how and why you need it, go slimmer. MS2, Speeduino, RusEFI, etc. No reason you can't get this thing huffing hard with a $200 ECM, $100 WBO2, and $60 in tuning programs. There are a ton of turbo LS engines running hard on MicroSquirt, or the sub-$100 NO2C, as an example that more is not always better. Expensive does not guarantee better for the tasks or to meet your goals. Pick for the tasks, not the name or price.

Pick parts for what they must do, not what they are. This will break through limitations that block options and solutions you could use. Your greatest performance and best insurance for reliability rests with diagnostic tuning. Budget more time for that.

Almost any ignition can do the job. Cheap is the stock distributor, altered for control by ECM. Efficient is a crank wheel and coil packs or LS coils on the valve cover. There are 101 versions of ignition to choose from that aftermarket ECMs can control, so your goals list should specify the choice direction based on easy, fast, cheap, or whatever the balance of primary goals are.

This brings the last random thought - your project goals list. This is the most important part of the project. You need to clearly spell-out what this thing is expected to do. Be specific, as you can't reach goals you don't have or are unclear. Put some performance measurements to it, like speed, torque, MPG, whatever. Put some jobs to it, like highway trips, commuter trips, track racing types, whatever. Put a realistic budget to it. Bling, sound, appearance and silly stuff is OK on the list. From that you can make a specific and detailed plan to reach the goals, and that means getting there cheaper and quicker. Follow the plan, and have fun!

Last edited:
This may assist in calculating exactly what power is produced at a given rpm, as you plan the cam/boost/rpm range:
Torque= HP x 5252 divided by RPM
HP= Torque x RPM divided by 5252
If you have a set HP and torque goal, this will give you the precise RPM at which that power occurs:
RPM= HP x 5252 divided by Torque. (Example) you want 250 HP and 350 ft lbs . What rpm makes this power? (250hp x 5252) over 350 ft lbs = 3751.4 rpm. ANY rotating machine that produces these T and HP #'s simultaneously does it at precisely 3751 rpm, and at this rpm only.

42lb injectors are about right for the 425+ hp this combo could make at 2-bar (15 psi) at 5000 rpm. Limiting to 12 psi? About 400 on tap. Use whatever manifold gets you there the quickest, or cheapest, or that you can fabricate or mod easily. One of the goals at this point is to get it done in the first version as quickly and inexpensively as possible. Why? Because once you have a baseline of what it can do in that first form, you will know exactly how it needs to change to get you to your next goals. There are always things that work differently than you expected, and always next goals. No more guessing, and you get where you want quicker and cheaper.
Injectors I found are GM injectors rated for somewhere in the 54 lb @58 psi range (12609749), would these work or what injectors would fit? that would have more in the tank if I increased the fuel pressure?
MS3X is fine, although far more than you need for this. You don't need bells and whistles, you need basic, easily-tuned control. Unless you know how and why you need it, go slimmer. MS2, Speeduino, RusEFI, etc. No reason you can't get this thing huffing hard with a $200 ECM, $100 WBO2, and $60 in tuning programs. There are a ton of turbo LS engines running hard on MicroSquirt, or the sub-$100 NO2C, as an example that more is not always better. Expensive does not guarantee better for the tasks or to meet your goals. Pick for the tasks, not the name or price.
What tuning program would you recommend? I am currently reading @decipha's thread regarding tuning the stock ECU, although he is using Moates quarterhorse which you can't get anymore.
Almost any ignition can do the job. Cheap is the stock distributor, altered for control by ECM. Efficient is a crank wheel and coil packs or LS coils on the valve cover. There are 101 versions of ignition to choose from that aftermarket ECMs can control, so your goals list should specify the choice direction based on easy, fast, cheap, or whatever the balance of primary goals are.
More details on the coil packs option? I need some part numbers or links.

Regarding headwork I will probably just get it cleaned up and do a valve job, as a promaxx isn't currently in the budget.

It's about to be evidenced that I know very little about cams😄

is it a flat tappet or roller tappet that I want to order? also assuming I just want to get regular hydraulic lifters? (or use the stock ones?)

It's about to be evidenced that I know very little about cams😄

is it a flat tappet or roller tappet that I want to order? also assuming I just want to get regular hydraulic lifters? (or use the stock ones?)
It is a hydraulic flat tappet cam and will need to use the same brand lifters to go with the cam.

Well i was hoping I could get away with 87 but i can do a higher octane if I must to prevent detonation.
You can do 87 if the compression is low enough.
With the Crower cam specified above, the compression ratio will need to be in the low 8s.

There are several things that need to be right to prevent detonation under boost.

The ignition timing needs to be retarded 1 degree for each lb of boost.
That means you will need an EFI system that uses a 2 bar, wide band map sensor.

The air fuel ratio needs to move down towards 11.5 as boost begins.

The fuel pressure needs to be raised 1 lb for each lb of boost.
This means you will need to use a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.

This is more of a job for an aftermarket ECM like Megasquirt or Holley terminator X

This is more of a job for an aftermarket ECM like Megasquirt or Holley terminator X
thats what i was thinking.

is this on track so far?
turbo 300 build
ARP head studs (ARP-152-4001)
98​
ARP main studs (ARP-152-5401)
94​
ARP con rod bolt kit (ARP-152-6001)
59​
Fel-Pro 1024 head gasket
57​
turbo
500​
Intercooler
100​
charge piping
200​
Injectors
70​
cam
750​
programming
500​
AFPR
40​
fuel pump
61​
pistons (UEM-1186H-STD)
200​
machine work
1000​
lifters
150​
piston rings
50​
unknown
500​
4429​

Be aware that ARP main studs will require some modifications to one stud to mount the oil pump.

The cam is only about $250.
I don't see any blow off valve or wastegate.
I don't see the EFI system including sensors and cable assemblies.
Don't see the Scorpion 1059 roller rocker arms. (If the head is 1985 or 1986)

The pistons will not be standard size.
They will be at least .030" oversize.
Your machinist will determine the piston size.

Do you already have the turbocharger?

Back