All Small Six Electric Turbos?

This relates to all small sixes

Crustang to Mustang

I just found out about these yesterday. I'm liking the price point as well as the ease of installation. The other plus is that you get boost right off the bat like a supercharger. It may not be in my budget right now, but just for future reference. Does anyone have experience with these?

I have done some research on these as well and have found in most cases it decreases hp due to the power needed to spin the turbo. BUT! I have found some videos where it does increase the hp but the boost drops when accelerating due to the electric output.

I have done some research on these as well and have found in most cases it decreases hp due to the power needed to spin the turbo. BUT! I have found some videos where it does increase the hp but the boost drops when accelerating due to the electric output.
Since the E-turbo requires electronic energy, how does that affect the mechanical energy of th engine? I'm a newbie so this may be a dumb question.

Any type of compressor either rootes, centrifugal, needs power to drive it, in the case of a rootes type blower this can be quite considerable, it does not matter where this power source comes from, your engine MUST provide it. Looking at the cabling of the Duryea one Ive just seen, the power needed must be quite a bit, To get even moderate boost levels on a 3 litre engine would need around 10kw, thats 750amps at 13volts, there is no way thats available from any automotive system. As an example I have a Sprintex twin screw compressor on my 3.3litre engine, this can provide 15psi manifold pressure, its drive from the engine via an 8 rib polyvee belt (serpentine) and its slips at times. IMO I would say NO electricaly driven supercharger is going to give any performance increase. You need either a turbosupercharger or some sort of mechanicaly driven type, both take power from the engine.

C2M, when more electrical power is needed, the alternator has to work harder to provide that power. To do that, it needs more power applied to its pulley from the engine. Increased power going out (as electricity to drive the turbo) has to equal power coming in (mechanical power to turn the alternator's pulley). As A7M points out, that takes a LOT of electrical power and therefore a lot of mechanical power (12 - 15 hp). It takes power to make power. Research carefully before spending any money.

The electric turbochargers I've seen that have any success can only make boost on small displacement 4 cylinder engines.
A single car battery cannot supply enough energy to pump air into larger engines.

Looking at a 250 six turning 4500 rpms with 10 lbs of boost, the turbocharger shaft power is 20 hp.
20 hp is 15,000 watts which at 14 volts is 1071 amps.
Most high hp electric DC motors operate between 250 and 400 volts to reduce the current.
You would need a battery pack from a hybrid or an EV and a high rpm DC motor with at least 20 hp to run the centrifugal supercharger to turbocharge your 250.

Last edited:
I watched a video from gale banks awhile back. He explained how he used a electric super charger on his land speed car to light the turbos on take off, that might work pretty good if a guy was wanting to use a larger turbo and just have it as quick burst of air to to get things going. A short use of it like that might be easier on the electrical system.

Since the E-turbo requires electronic energy, how does that affect the mechanical energy of th engine? I'm a newbie so this may be a dumb question.
Aussie7mains said it great! This would require substantual amount of electricity to get very minimal results. At minimum to get 3 to 5lb of boost you would need to upgrade your alternator to one that would produce more than enough energy to recharge the battery. I also read another forum where the boost was not able to be controlled enough and made the car stall anytime they went to a red light or stop sign. Essentially you would need to think of the engine as an energy generator 1 hp = estimated .75 kW. Your alternator converts this mechanical energy into electric power that the turbo can use. Therefor taking away some of the energy from the overall unit.

I think that I've decided to build a centrifugal supercharger from scratch. If and when I get the time and money. I've had some "smaller" scale metal working experience. I'll post a step by step if I end up going through with it.

Go for a twin screw supercharger, Whipple opcon sprintex, much better for a street driver. you will have to design a belt drive whichever way you go. the centrifugal compressor has one problem inherant to it, the pressure goes up with the square of the rpm, so no pressure at low rpm, loys at high rpm, great for bonneville running not much use on the street. The twin screw compressors will make pressure at low rpm and the manifold pressure is mostly dependant on throttle opening. I have a Sprintex twin screw (lysholm type), I have boost at any time any rpm, it just makes the engine feel much bigger than it is. mine is a 200ci, it drives like its a 351. The cost is about the same, but perfromaance is much easier to get along with.

Last edited:
Go for a twin screw supercharger, Whipple opcon sprintex, much better for a street driver. you will have to design a belt drive whichever way you go. the centrifugal compressor has one problem inherant to it, the pressure goes up with the square of the rpm, so no pressure at low rpm, loys at high rpm, great for bonneville running not much use on the street. The twin screw compressors will make pressure at low rpm and the manifold pressure is mostly dependant on throttle opening. I have a Sprintex twin screw (lysholm type), I have boost at any time any rpm, it just makes the engine feel much bigger than it is. mine is a 200ci, it drives like its a 351. The cost is about the same, but perfromaance is much easier to get along with.
You are also saving on weight. The 351 weighs about 520-550lbs were as the 200 is roughly 330 -400 lbs depending on headers, head, carb, and accessories attached. Which would be about 6 to 12 hp gain for weight loss if my calculations are correct.

I think that I've decided to build a centrifugal supercharger from scratch. If and when I get the time and money. I've had some "smaller" scale metal working experience. I'll post a step by step if I end up going through with it.
Are you going with a blow thru carburetor or blow through throttle body injection or port EFI?

You are also saving on weight. The 351 weighs about 520-550lbs were as the 200 is roughly 330 -400 lbs depending on headers, head, carb, and accessories attached. Which would be about 6 to 12 hp gain for weight loss if my calculations are correct.
I run a crossflow 200ci which is quite a bit heavier than the US precrossflow, but power is much better with alloy crossflow head, Im sure you have seen the pictures by now. the main gain in loss of mass is that its all over the front end, helping handling.

I just purchased an Aces 2 barrel efi carb. Thinking about doing a draw through setup with it. Along with getting the intake machined to fit the 2 barrel for a larger intake. I was told to add a screen at the intake port so the fuel will disperse into smaller bits.

I just purchased an Aces 2 barrel efi carb. Thinking about doing a draw through setup with it. Along with getting the intake machined to fit the 2 barrel for a larger intake. I was told to add a screen at the intake port so the fuel will disperse into smaller bits.
If you are doing a draw through into a turbocharger you won’t need a screen.
The turbocharger compressor will homogenize the mixture.
The one problem with the draw through is the lack of an intercooler.

Back