Alternative Transportation

With LPG, compression can be increased.

I believe LPG has an octane rating of 104 to 112 (R+M)/2.
I been thinking about this year’s back and do have a mixer and vaporizer someplace.

The biggest cost would be a DOT approved tank. I abandoned the project years ago because of cost and the price of gasoline was still fairly reasonable. But we never know.

The good thing with my truck is I’m no longer required to do safety inspection in my state. So, converting is not an issue. But fueling up could be tough in some areas.

Another thing is LPG is a dry gas. It has no lubrication properties and the head will need hardened seats or inserts and valves that can withstand dry fuels.

There is also engine oils specifically for LPG & CNG engines.

Still thinking about a conversion, but right now it’s not cost effective.
Going to try LPG on my 67 F100 short box(summer truck). Collected the necessary hardware over the last few years. $350 total for Impco 425 mixer with Model E vaporizer and vff30 lock off plus 2 33Lb aluminum forklift tanks(all used). Will need to buy some new lines.
Using an 4.9 EFI head on a mid 70's small round dish piston short block.(maximizing compression/efficiency with stock parts).
Inconvenient to fill tanks possibly but hoping its cheaper to run in the end, as well as lowered emissions
My daily driver is a 2010 4 cylinder 2 door short box Ranger.

I believe the mixer is rated over 400cfm.
What intake manifold are you thinking of using?

Last edited:
Oh boy, that looks great! That is a work of art.

I believe the good thing about LPG is less of an issue with #1 and 6 cylinders burning lean.

I just noticed that the intake and exhaust are welded on one plate. I would think there would be less of a chance of vacuum leaks.

Oh boy, that looks great! That is a work of art.

I believe the good thing about LPG is less of an issue with #1 and 6 cylinders burning lean.

I just noticed that the intake and exhaust are welded on one plate. I would think there would be less of a chance of vacuum leaks.
Filling the tanks is a drawback(along with a few others) but otherwise, LPG checks off a lot of the boxes.

With LPG, compression can be increased.

I believe LPG has an octane rating of 104 to 112 (R+M)/2.
I been thinking about this year’s back and do have a mixer and vaporizer someplace.

The biggest cost would be a DOT approved tank. I abandoned the project years ago because of cost and the price of gasoline was still fairly reasonable. But we never know.

The good thing with my truck is I’m no longer required to do safety inspection in my state. So, converting is not an issue. But fueling up could be tough in some areas.

Another thing is LPG is a dry gas. It has no lubrication properties and the head will need hardened seats or inserts and valves that can withstand dry fuels.

There is also engine oils specifically for LPG & CNG engines.

Still thinking about a conversion, but right now it’s not cost effective.
This is one of my "areas of expertise" LPG is made to a spec HD5, it is a mixture of propane , butane and iso butane, the octane rating varies somewhat but is generally above 100. As you said it has no lubricating properties but in most alloy cylinders heads this is OK, with iron heads the later ones have induction hardened exhaust seats and wont be an issue, you can get hard seats fitted. CR can be raised, but for heavy duty use like a truck, not above 9.5:1 for safety. Tanks are not an issue, certainly not in Australia, there is tonnes around they are not expensive new, $5-600. Yes there are special oil for gas engines, but most are ok. IMO the ideal thing with LPG is BOOST, its really good with blown or turbo. EG I run a blown alloy head 200ci crossflow falcon six with a twin screw blower, it has the torque of a 5.5 litre engine and is very easy to drive, I run a draw through with a GRA mixer and convertor, I have a 67 litre tank. Fueling isnt a problem here, dont know about the USA, I pay about 85c/litre, petrol is currently 1.80c/litre.

RIMG0044.JPGRIMG0174.JPGRIMG0028.JPG

The Yamaha TW200 just turned 1101 miles.
Fuel consumption so far is 13.297 gallons.
Fuel cost so far is $46.14 (Running 89 Octane Non-Ethanol).

If I drove the truck 1101 miles, it would have costed roughly $316.35 (Running 93 Octane). Fuel savings of $270.21 in under 3 weeks of riding.

Last edited:
While on the subject. This popped up on my social media and i thought it was pretty cool. I dont care for EVs but for the price and to have something to scoot around town it would be cool.

Attachments

• IMG_4958.png
    IMG_4958.png
    996.8 KB · Views: 2
wanna know more about those different classes, now.
(moped v, scooter, v different varieties of ele bikes - 1E, etc)
never very interested in them B4 but am not riding what I have
for 41 yrs.
Have a '78 KZ 750B, 2 cylinder - "the most maintenance free bike" it's
been called (not to me, till switchin out the wire wheels). I drove a 3 wheeler
for work, solid rubber tire & spent too much down time tuning spokes. Some 1
copied the Philly big soft pretzel fora MBA project bringin it to Boston asa required
school project. I wuz da buff twenty-something (decades of hockey, lacrosse, skiing)
to peddle the 300 lb cart 4, 5 mi to the sales location. Not sure I went this route but the
cabs'n famous Boston Potholes were the worse of it.
All kindza bikes are a Way of Life for some, no?~

Bikes'n scooters I know: tire sz, 'step thru'/not, some driving & registration differences'n so on. But not the others. Is that from state law? DMV (well, so called in MA) where this can be learned? The Sales Guys, official-like or just common parlance...
Thnx !

Just rode 63.1 miles and the tank would only take 0.762 of a gallon = 82.8 mpg.

Update:
The motorcycle is finally broken in. It has over 2,600 miles.

Thursday morning I decided to go out for a ride to a certain lake about 45 miles away. It was great weather. I filled up the bike at the gas station and set the odometer. The speed limit county roads to the lake are mostly 45 mph. My speed was kept at 45 to 50 mph except for going through the city of Raleigh NC. Speed averaged 35 mph. It was a great time at the lake. Will be bringing the family there next time.
IMG_1214.jpeg
IMG_1216.jpeg

Before I got home, I stopped at the same gas station to top off the tank. The odometer read 91.1 miles. The tank only took 1.02 gallons. Just over 89.3 mpg. I would have got better if I did not have to go up some pretty good grades. But the bike has enough power (I think about 15 hp) to maintain posted speeds easily up the grades. The little 196cc 4 stroke engine is pretty amazing.

I have a 2017 triumph Bonneville T100, thats 900cc, it always gets 3.8litre/100km, thats about 70mpg for you guys, it weighs 220kg and has plenty of power. I ride mostly rural roads, average speed around 70km/h.

That is a very nice bike and it gets very good fuel economy for a 900cc bike.

A friend just called this evening and asked if I would like to go to a forest that will allow riding on logging roads. We’re thinking of riding there. Looking forward to get away again. It’s about 70 miles away. It’s perfect riding weather here. The hot days are over.

I’m trying to get him to take a trip to the “Tail Of The Dragon”. It’s the windiest road in the US for a given distance. Never been there yet. I think the speed is restricted to 30 mph. I hear their is a tree there with motorcycle parts hanging on it from all the crashes.
It’s about 4 hours away. Will put the bikes on a trailer and drive there.

Last edited:
That is a very nice bike and it gets very good fuel economy for a 900cc bike.

A friend just called this evening and asked if I would like to go to a forest that will allow riding on logging roads. We’re thinking of riding there. Looking forward to get away again. It’s about 70 miles away. It’s perfect riding weather here. The hot days are over.

I’m trying to get him to take a trip to the “Tail Of The Dragon”. It’s the windiest road in the US for a given distance. Never been there yet. I think the speed is restricted to 30 mph. I hear their is a tree there with motorcycle parts hanging on it from all the crashes.
It’s about 4 hours away. Will put the bikes on a trailer and drive there.
We have some pretty twistie roads round here, we are between two ranges of hills, one is about 1500m, the other about 500m, they get snow on top. Im not a big fan of twisties, but others enjoy them a lot. Im thinking of trading my 900 for a new 400 single that triumph is releasing in january next year. In my previous life I road mostly dirt bikes Yamaha dts its, kawasaki KDX etc. great fun. We have plenty of good dirt bike country round here, and its accesable. Im a bit old an bodily tired to do that now.

I understand, I’m up there in age also. And I would not attempt the crazy riding styles when I was an amateur motocross rider in the 70’s and mid 80’s. The body doesn’t recover quickly. My riding style changed, and for the better. In the trails it’s slow riding and go around obstacles instead of over or in them. On the road, stay to the posted speed limit and if possible, try to keep a three to four second distance. If cars want to pass I give them that opportunity when it’s safe. And, I never ride on a major highway where speed limits are above 55mph. That is what the trucks for. Having as much armor around you on such roads is good.

I read up on the 400 single. It looks like a very nice bike. It should get great fuel economy.

Going to try LPG on my 67 F100 short box(summer truck). Collected the necessary hardware over the last few years. $350 total for Impco 425 mixer with Model E vaporizer and vff30 lock off plus 2 33Lb aluminum forklift tanks(all used). Will need to buy some new lines.
Using an 4.9 EFI head on a mid 70's small round dish piston short block.(maximizing compression/efficiency with stock parts).
Inconvenient to fill tanks possibly but hoping its cheaper to run in the end, as well as lowered emissions
My daily driver is a 2010 4 cylinder 2 door short box Ranger.
Forklift tank is no good, they are vapour withdrawl, vehicle tanks are liquid withdrawl. You cannot get enough fuel out of a vapour withdrawl, to get the power needed for a car.

I understand, I’m up there in age also. And I would not attempt the crazy riding styles when I was an amateur motocross rider in the 70’s and mid 80’s. The body doesn’t recover quickly. My riding style changed, and for the better. In the trails it’s slow riding and go around obstacles instead of over or in them. On the road, stay to the posted speed limit and if possible, try to keep a three to four second distance. If cars want to pass I give them that opportunity when it’s safe. And, I never ride on a major highway where speed limits are above 55mph. That is what the trucks for. Having as much armor around you on such roads is good.

I read up on the 400 single. It looks like a very nice bike. It should get great fuel economy.
Yeh, similar. Our freeways are posted at 110km/h (70odd for you) and they are not that well maintained and there is a lot of heavy trucks, most trucks now are b doubles, thats two, 3 axles semis one behind the other. They are allowed to do 100km/h and they have enough power to do that. When I go on the freeway on the T100, the wind just about blows me of the bike, so I generally dont go above 100, and most times on the lesser roads Im around 85/90. I have not done any off road for ages, I buggered my knee many years ago, and its probably never going to be right. I also get arthritious in my hands, so after a couple of hours Im in pain. Im no knee dragger, we have a lot of milk tankers doing the back roads, and famers tractors running around. The farmers come out of their fields bring half a tonne of mud with them, then spread it down the road, for us bikers to skid on. Plus the occasional escaped cow, this is a sheep, dairy and spud area.

+1
Especially in cold weather
yeh, Ive become a bit of a fair weather rider. We can get down into the -5c area in winter, not often thankfully. but summer we can go to 40 odd. The cold wind is probably the worst. Now is about our best time, days mostly around 23c, nights down to 7-9c and rain only occasionaly. We get 1200mm of rain here annualy.

That’s a fair amount of rain.

What we have to look out for on the roads is crushed stone in lots of the intersections. It gets pretty bad at times. They need to start catching the over filled trucks.

Back