Alternative Transportation

63 Sprint

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2023
At times decisions need to be made to look into alternative transportation to cut down on costs. Sometimes, having another small vehicle like compact car is not the best option. So, other options have to be considered if there is an issue with a parking space.

With the uncertainty that we are seeing. It might be best to consider transportation that can drastically reduce fuel consumption.

This week, the decision was made to get a motorcycle that can be used as a commuter. Where I live, stores and other businesses are spread out in neighboring towns. The good thing is everything is assessable on county roads. So, I just picked up a 200cc motorcycle that is able to get around 80 mpg or more. The county roads average 45 mph so a large displacement engine is not needed.

It’s been calculated that a savings $200.00 or more can be saved every month in fuel costs. And if, or when there is another fuel shortage. Enough fuel can be stored so commuting will not be affected as much as it could be with a truck.

Sometimes it’s best to have an inexpensive backup.phpw7Js1IPM.jpg

Last edited:
Im actually going to put it to work with my new sales job i got. Its a much cooler way to save fuel. 250 miles on 5 gallons. Not to mention all the heads they turn. And also seeing the kids faces when they hear the roar.

Attachments

• IMG_3788.jpeg
    IMG_3788.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 7
I’ve been riding enduros too since I was 16. My first bike was a 2-stroke1975 Kawasaki F7. 175.
I’ve always loved the 70’s 2-stokes.
Sold my 1974 Suzuki 185 and 1975 Yamaha 175 about a year ago. I found out I’m not as brave now at 63 yrs old with cell phones on the road. 🤪

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 296.jpeg
    296.jpeg
    9.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 188.jpeg
    188.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
I think sales of motorcycles are going to increase. The prices for one will most likely increase due to the demand.

Last edited:
picked up the PUCH in '77 at a bike shop in Manhattan. It rode in the back of my sound equipment truck around New England for a few years.

later unused for a long time until rescuing it from hanging in the barn a few years ago.

In '77 the PUCH was the Mercedes of available Mopeds. First few Moped - gas crisis years weren't too well regulated , this moped has more power than 'legal' now. The PUCH has VDO gauges, best wheels, cables and grease fittings on hand controls etc..

easily tops @ 30MPH and @ 100 MPG at cruise, after @ an hour riding the furious Bavarian 2 stroke numbs my hands and butt ...

. .

Nowadays I haven't figured out cost per mile but we have a pair of Class-1 E-BIKES ( no go unless you pedal-class1 only assists - no throttle and no assist at 20mph) . So far in @ 2years we put on over 20K miles on the pair...

Class 1 E-Bikes are only type permitted on NY State's hundreds of miles of 'Rail Trails" networking NY city to Buffalo along the most scenic old rail lines in the country. Class 2 have a 30 mph limit with hand throttle, Class 3 are basically Electric Motorcycles - no limits.

Quietly cruising is so much nicer:

. .,

I think sales of motorcycles are going to increase. The prices for one will most likely increase due to the demand.
I’m sure you are right. Everything is going up now. As far as the 1970’s bikes I’ve been watching the prices on Bring A Trailer and they have almost doubled in the short time since I sold mine. 😭
And don’t even get me started on the prices of the Honda 50’s and 70’s from the 1970’s.
They are a better investment than a 401k!

Lots of nice bike pics on here. I have owned many over the years and miss them all. Have a couple now my favorite that I will never sell is a 1970 Triumph Trophy owned since I was 17. It probably gets ok mileage.

picked up the PUCH in '77 at a bike shop in Manhattan. It rode in the back of my sound equipment truck around New England for a few years.

later unused for a long time until rescuing it from hanging in the barn a few years ago.

In '77 the PUCH was the Mercedes of available Mopeds. First few Moped - gas crisis years weren't too well regulated , this moped has more power than 'legal' now. The PUCH has VDO gauges, best wheels, cables and grease fittings on hand controls etc..

easily tops @ 30MPH and @ 100 MPG at cruise, after @ an hour riding the furious Bavarian 2 stroke numbs my hands and butt ...

. .

Nowadays I haven't figured out cost per mile but we have a pair of Class-1 E-BIKES ( no go unless you pedal-class1 only assists - no throttle and no assist at 20mph) . So far in @ 2years we put on over 20K miles on the pair...

Class 1 E-Bikes are only type permitted on NY State's hundreds of miles of 'Rail Trails" networking NY city to Buffalo along the most scenic old rail lines in the country. Class 2 have a 30 mph limit with hand throttle, Class 3 are basically Electric Motorcycles - no limits.

Quietly cruising is so much nicer:

. .,

We’re some of those old rail lines once owned by Delaware & Hudson Railway?

"We’re some of those old rail lines once owned by Delaware & Hudson Railway?"

Yes and my favorite is the old Ontario and Western rail trails in and around Ulster, Sullivan and Orange counties in NY. The incredible earliest Catskill mountain rail trails reveal earliest Dutch and Huguenot settlements in the east and many pre-euro native areas still hidden away in the rugged mountains. I live in the shadow of Rip Van Winkles' legend paths and believe still hear the echoes of the Henry Hudson crew partying hardy when the thunder rolls down from the the mountains ...

if you have time:

hav e fun

up from the rail trail , the Minnewaska Mountain House was on a Catskill mountaintop clear blue lake. In late 19th and early 20th', NY city socialites would take the Hudson River line to Kingston NY (halfway to Albany, sacked by brits in revolutionary war), the railway to Ellenville NY, then by horse drawn carriage for an overnite journey up the trails to the mountain top house.
Now many of the carriage trails thru the mountains are again availble to the adventurist.

Taking some time off and enjoying life. Since I purchased the bike it already had two oil and filter changes. The second one was done at 505 miles. It looks like the engine is breaking in nicely.Monday will be time to check valve lash. The chain will be adjusted before the trip to one of my favorite spots. Sure missed going to quite places and relax.

Tuesday will be the day when the 4 season level 2 armored riding jacket will arrive. Next expense will be level 2 armored riding pants.

Have not checked the MPG lately but, it’s in the 80’s.

Do not take this the wrong way but, I hope that the colors make you look like a clown ;) so you can be seen easily for the lazy and distracted drivers that are out there. There is no shame in wanting to enjoy those places as long as you can.

The riding jacket has provisions to clip on a reflective and florissant yellow vest. The helmet is Bright White. Riding pants will have the same options. The reflective stripes light up very good when they are shined on. The good thing is they can be replaced.

I bougt my 1973 Honda 250k a few years back when I was in college and modified it a little here and there to get it to look the way I wanted.

Last year I rebuild the top end because of a defect timing chain tensioner abd on the way upgraded the little machine to 350cc (with a little grinding on the lower 250 case to fit the bigger cylinders). That's also why my 200 Mustang project got postponed some months...

Really enjoyed the little bike as a 250, now with 100cc more I love it even more, very fun around town!

IMG-20230809-WA0042.jpg

Back