All Big Six 250 head- cracks intake 1974 to a 76 replacement?

Relates to all big sixes

Sinclairlaw2

My 1974 Comet 250 head has intake hairline cracks- I have a lead on a 1976 - 250 head. My question is : Can I use my existing push rods, tappets and non-adjustable rocker arm assembly with the 76 head? ALSO, any recommendations on who can repair hairline fractures on these heads?

Yes, you can use your push rods and non-adjustable rocker assembly, no change in those dimensions, on the tappets not sure what that is and will assume they are the lifters and those would also be the same, but they should not be moved around once they have been run in their respective locations. The pushrod should also be kept in their run-in location but not a critical as the liters. Remember that a 200 head is the same as the same year 250 head so do not only look for 250 heads.
I would not bother trying to fix a cracked head.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much for your information! And yes! Lifters, not tappets that I am referring to. I would prefer not to have a refurbished head (one that had some cracks), but I am amazed at how hard it is to find a decent 250 head! (There must have been a million plus from 69 to mid seventies!). I can’t believe that Joe Biden and his disciples are actually doing away with our cars and parts from the 70’s. Thank god he is going to turn his 60’s corvette into an electric!

I repeat when the 250 came out the 200 got the same head it is possible that late 68 and 69 may be different but 70 on till the end they are the same, so if you find a 70 and up 200 head you can use it.

Back