215 oil pump for 300 distributor

shocker998md

Guys I'd like to verify what year 223 oil pump will work on the 215 when doing a 300 points distributor swap.

I'm tracking on swapping the gear, I found a nos fomoco gear but I figure it would be smart to get the oil pump and driveshaft on hand while I've sent my distributor out to get re curved.
My parts pile is starting to look pretty good now.
52 ford customline with a 215 and 3 speed. Offy 2x1 intake with two 1904 carbs. Clifford dual outlet header, 2 inch duals with brockman steel packs, and a recurved 300 points distributor. I figure that combination will cruise pretty good compared to a stock 215.

I'm not sure if they are the same but for a 223 you'll need the hex drive oil pump.
The 215 has a tang vs hex. If I remember correctly I read that there is a 223 pump that will bolt right into a 215 and allow me to run a hex shaft. I'm wanting to do this so if I build a 223 on the side my new recurved distributor would drop right in.

I’m just finishing mine up. The shaft is probably better off sent to a machine shop and have them mill each flat down. I did mine with a sander, but it took a few tries to get it the way I wanted it.

I’m just finishing mine up. The shaft is probably better off sent to a machine shop and have them mill each flat down. I did mine with a sander, but it took a few tries to get it the way I wanted it.
I would mill it myself, but that's not what I asked about at all.

Sorry but you will need to use the stock 215 Oil Pump that's the only one that can fit into those 215 Engine Blocks and still use the right Oil Pick Up Tube made for the OEM 215 Oil Pan. The 215’s used a Melling M25 Oil Pump these will fit both the 1952 & 1953 215 Six’s, it's also the same Oil Pump that was used in the first few years of the 223 Sixes starting in 1954 and going through the end of the 1956 Model Year. You will also need to machine the stock 215 Oil Pump Drive Shaft into a Hex drive on the one end to fit the 300 Distributor. Note that the only time you can use the later 1964 Hex Drive Oil Pump is if you have one of the later 1961 to 1964 Short Block's. Best of luck.

Basically I'm trying to avoid recurving a distributor for my 215 and then buying another and recurving that one if I build a 223 on the side. But I may just eat that one if I'd have to watch for one or two year only 223s.

Bubba so if I do an early 223 build a 215 pump will work then?
Ford used 4 different Oil Pump numbers through all the years of 215's and 223's, I have those Oil Pump Numbers in one of my other posts in this Forum. But answer your question yes that M25 Oil Pump will for sure fit up to a 1956 223 Block. There is also a good possibility that it will also fit in up to the 1960 Block's depends on if the Oil Pans are close to the same and what the Oil Pump Pick Up Tubes are shaped like. In 1961 Ford did a major redesign of the 223 Blocks (and the Heads) those need to use a different Oil Pump number for the 1961 to 1963 Blocks and the 1964 Block used the 1 year only Hex Drive Oil Pump, however that 1964 Hex Drive Oil Pump can be used in the 1961 to 1963 Block too.
Basically I'm trying to avoid recurving a distributor for my 215 and then buying another and recurving that one if I build a 223 on the side. But I may just eat that one if I'd have to watch for one or two year only 223s.
The Distributor Curve would be about the same for all the 215, 223, & 262 Six's.

Ford used 4 different Oil Pump numbers through all the years of 215's and 223's, I have those Oil Pump Numbers in one of my other posts in this Forum. But answer your question yes that M25 Oil Pump will for sure fit up to a 1956 223 Block. There is also a good possibility that it will also fit in up to the 1960 Block's depends on if the Oil Pans are close to the same and what the Oil Pump Pick Up Tubes are shaped like. In 1961 Ford did a major redesign of the 223 Blocks (and the Heads) those need to use a different Oil Pump number for the 1961 to 1963 Blocks and the 1964 Block used the 1 year only Hex Drive Oil Pump, however that 1964 Hex Drive Oil Pump can be used in the 1961 to 1963 Block too.

The Distributor Curve would be about the same for all the 215, 223, & 262 Six's.

I understand the curve would be the same, but if I milled the shaft for the 215 pump I would then not be able to use that in a 223 if the pump, pickup And pan was different.

Back