240-300 distributor in a 223

Duane

A few questions for all that have done this. I changed to the 240 oil pump, and it’s a different oil screen mounting than my 56 F100. Is there an option? The later distributors have an o-ring and don’t use a gasket. Should I measure the old one with a gasket before I change the gear, and not use the gasket on the new one? I don’t guess there’s an off the shelf option? I bought a Duraspark but I’m thinking about getting the old style and replacing the points with a conversion. I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting.

Why did you change the oil pump? The oil pump drive shaft can be modified to work. The last conversion I did I had a machine shop mill down the shaft to length and size for the 223 oil pump drive. Worked perfectly and didn't cost much at all. Also, I'm not 100% on this but I'm not sure the 240 oil pump will work in a 223. But, there are alot more knowledgeable people here than myself.

I changed the pump because I was rebuilding it anyway. The 240 pump bolted right on, but the inlet is wrong. I’ve got several SBF oil shafts, so I was just going to cut one down.
The original posts I saw a few years ago said to change the pump or mod it.

Hi Duane, I wonder where that 240 Oil Pump in a 223 ever came from, this is the first time I have heard about it? Anyway I don't think it can even work since the Oil Pumps have much different mountings. As is stated above you could use your stock Oil Pump and make a custom oil pump drive shaft to fit which is the easy way on those early 223 engines or else some of those with the 1961 to 1963 engines use a 1964 223 Oil Pump Melling M67A which has the 5/16 Hex Drive See below example.

Here are a couple of older posts on a 1955 F100 were site member "BradW" used the stock oil pump and made a oil pump drive shaft to fit with his DuraSpark II Swap.

1955 Ford F100 Oil Pump Drive Shaft mod to use the stock Oil Pump
https://fordsix.com/threads/duraspark-ii-distributor-on-223.63712/#post-487412
https://fordsix.com/threads/duraspark-ii-distributor-on-223.63712/#post-487456

1964 Ford Six 223 & 262 Oil Pump
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8310644&cc=1333752&pt=5564&jsn=8

As for the setting up the 300 Six DuraSpark II this is a very easy almost a drop in swap except for the Oil Pump Driveshaft Mod. You do need to use your 223 Distributor Drive Gear or another one like it on the DuraSpark II Distributor. The Drive Gear needs to be put on so that the DuraSpark II Distributor ends ups at same total length from the Block Hole Mounting Boss and down to the end of the Distributors Shaft so as to match that length to the 223 Distributor, then also match the Drive Gear position too. If you also want to use the Gasket with the O Ring that's ok too. Good luck

Lol, after thinking this through, I didn’t use a 240 pump, I think it’s a later model 223 pump and it has the larger shaft drive! That’s what happens when you drag a project out over three years.

It's all good Duane, so if you have any pictures of the problem areas your having I am sure one of us can get you back to the right parts needed. I am thinking you might have to remake the Oil Pump Pick Up Tube to match up and fit might only be a little simple welding to combine it to the new 1964 Oil Pump. Good luck you should be real close to making all this work.

I can see that removing 1/32nd from each face of the 5/16 shaft would let it fit the 1/4 inch pump drive, but how far up would that need to go?
Also how long does the shaft need to be if you shortened a small block shaft?
I am thinking you could get a lot done to the shaft for way less than the $145.99 they want for the 64 pump.

It's all good Duane, so if you have any pictures of the problem areas your having I am sure one of us can get you back to the right parts needed. I am thinking you might have to remake the Oil Pump Pick Up Tube to match up and fit might only be a little simple welding to combine it to the new 1964 Oil Pump. Good luck you should be real close to making all this work.
I really don’t want to try to cobble up a tube, I can’t seen to find a new one so I can’t chance any mistakes. I’ll buy the original pump and mod the shaft. Maybe I can sell the 61 and up pump.

I can see that removing 1/32nd from each face of the 5/16 shaft would let it fit the 1/4 inch pump drive, but how far up would that need to go?
I am thinking you could get a lot done to the shaft for way less than the $145.99 they want for the 64 pump.
I wouldn’t have any trouble shortening the shaft. It “should” be the same length as the original. But now I could use the 56 pump, shorten a shaft and get it correctly sized. I know and old man with mills, lathes and almost everything known to man. He lives for stuff like this, lol. Plus he is a Ford guru, everything from old engines to 1000+ hp big blocks.

I have a duraspark II for my ‘61 but used the ‘64 melling M67A pump a stated above by bubba22349 with my stock pan and pick up, also used a melling oil pump intermediate shaft for the ‘64 pump. Everything fit with no issues. I did find a new original 223 dist. Gear, Davis unified machined the gear to fit I believe they said they did have to trim it down some. Everything fits well and works great! Good luck!

Hi Bill56, it would only need to be just a little longer than the internal depth of the Hex Drive in the Oil Pump plus a little more above it my best guess is that it would be something like 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch total. Another way to do this is to use a Drill Drive Socket as the adapter that has the 1/4 inch Hex on the one end to go into the Oil Pump Hex drive and a 5/16 Hex Socket on the other end that fits to new lager Hex Drive from the Distributor it should be a quick way to accomplish this. Than figure out how to hold them both together and still be able to remove the Distributor when ever it's needed something like a internal spring clip like the 240 and 300 six used to hold it into the Distributor Shaft or a maybe a few spot welds if you doing a Socket adapter type. This is what I am thinking the socket head would also need to be ground so the OD size can just go through the lower Short Block Guide Hole for the Distributor Shaft.

I knew about the socket idea.
Making it fit though the hole in the block is a problem as well as keeping it together when you do put it in.
That makes me like the idea of cutting down the end of a 5/16 shaft more all the time.
I guess I could take mine out and measure, but I'd really like to have the new one ready to go in once I tear into it.
If anyone has a 1/4 inch shaft sitting around it could be measured for length and there should be a wear mark where it was in the pump to measure how far it goes into the pump.

When I did mine I took the old distributor with the 300 distributor to the machine shop. I had them keep all the same measurements from total length gear to end of distributor, etc,etc. It fit and worked perfectly. Plus had the 5/16" end milled down to 1/4" drive. When you pull the one out of your 223 the wear pattern of where it goes into the oil pump will be visible. I had them machine that a hair more just to be on the safe side.

I can get you the stock measurement this weekend. I’ve ordered the 56 pump, I will have the 64 pump for sale if anyone needs it since it’s new. I’m going to cut the 5/16” shaft, then get on the sander to get it close, then flat file it to the exact size. If I screw up, I’ve got plenty! I just wish the pickup for the later pump was available.

If anyone is needing a shaft for the 64 there is someone on EBAY that has several NOS.
Sealed Power 224-61117.
$14.99, free shipping.

I had a chance to measure things. The shaft on the early one is 3.855 and the wear pattern on the depth is 1/2” on each end. I will easily be able to use the disc sander to make it fit. Since you cannot lay it flat on the sander table due to the angles are not 90° I’ll hold the shaft against a piece of wood then sand without letting the shaft touch the table. I’ll use a straight edge and feeler gauge to make sure I’m taking the sides down evenly. I’ve already sanded all the flats some, but it’s 120° in the shop right now, lol, I’m done and came home.

Back