All Small Six Tranny troubles

This relates to all small sixes

goldfinger1957

My 64 Falcon with the 65- 200 six went to a car show this morning. On the way back home I lost the 3rd gear of my 3 on a tree. I shifted from 2nd to 3rd and when I let out the clutch there was nothing there, like it doesn't engage. I ended up hobbling home in 2nd doing 40mph tops.
What may have happened ?
I think its a C4 which sounds right but not absolutely sure since there's no tranny tag. The linkage is okay. At home without running i drop it in 3rd and it still rolls in the driveway like it's in neutral. Not sure what to do at this point. 20230923_120253.jpg

unless modified, the 65 / 200 /3OTT should be a small Falcon/Comet/Fairlane 3 Speed Manual "2.77" transmission. (C4 is auto). The 2.77 is a mon-synchro first gear.

interesting problem since 3rd gear is tranny input straight thru to output yoke. re-check 3rd gear engagement from shifter or by hand underneath (wheels blocked ) .

IF tranny is problem, rebuild or replacement is possible or an upgrade to more robust tranny for such a nice car.

hav e fun

Yes Powerband, that was my thought that maybe something in the lower shifting engagement is hopefully the issue. I kinda knew this wasn't a C4. I didn't want to pull a tranny only to find out is was in the shifting. Not sure what you mean by "input straight thru to output yoke" ?? But I'll definitely be under there to find out.
If it does in fact needs a rebuild either now or later, what would be a good upgrade in the rebuild using the same tranny ? Any suggestions would would be a plus. 20230923_120923.jpg20230608_133649.jpg

Really beautiful car. A close going over of the linkage system is first. It's not mechanically logical that direct drive disappeared suddenly.
Have someone in the car while you observe the linkage on the trans as they shift thru the gears. Look for loose bolts both at the rod-to-trans link, and the link itself where it's attached to the trans.
Annual oiling of the shift gate mechanism on the column where the rods attach underhood helps with wear and keeps crisp shift feel in the car.

Yes. I'm just not feeling it engage in the 3rd gear position when I lower in into gear on the shift lever. I'm hoping something may have come loose in the linkage but it seems odd that it's okay in the 1st two gears. I'll get under there and hopefully it's a simple fix. I'll keep everyone informed in case it happens to others whith a similar situation. 20230923_121210.jpg

... Not sure what you mean by "input straight thru to output yoke" ?? But I'll definitely be under there to find out.
Hello.
The manual trans has an input shaft that engages the crank through the clutch.
From there, a gear at the end of that input shaft spins a gear on the countershaft, that reduces the gear ratios to the rear axle by connecting to the output shaft.

In high gear all that is bypassed and the input shaft is linked directly to the output shaft and the rear axle directly. That is why your issue is a bit perplexing. Virtually all the gears in the trans are bypassed in high. I suspect the lever arm that is connected to the slider shaft that engages high has cracked or broken preventing you from twisting that shaft to put it into high gear. I have had that happen to me on a racing trans. You could get under the car and while the gear shift is in neutral (be careful!) grab the frontmost of the two shafts sticking out the side of the trans and with a vice grip twist it counterclockwise to lock the trans in high. Then see if you can drive off in high gear. Good luck.

Neat little Falcon BTW. Here's mine:

Attachments

• endangerspec.jpg
    endangerspec.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
Yes, 1st and Reverse are on a separate lever and rod, so they have no affect on 2nd/3rd shifting. . FTF has had a lever break, I've had them come loose at the trans. Again, look closely at the shaft going into the trans. The lever can move but not be turning the input shaft. If you find any of it loose, use locktite when tightening.
If the retaining nut in the adjustment slider (at the trans) has come loose, look for the witness marks of where it was fastened and retighten it in the same spot.

I'll look at that and see if something has come loose. I'm really hoping it just that simple. I'll follow-up when this is determined. Thanks guys.

Hello.
The manual trans has an input shaft that engages the crank through the clutch.
From there, a gear at the end of that input shaft spins a gear on the countershaft, that reduces the gear ratios to the rear axle by connecting to the output shaft.

In high gear all that is bypassed and the input shaft is linked directly to the output shaft and the rear axle directly. That is why your issue is a bit perplexing. Virtually all the gears in the trans are bypassed in high. I suspect the lever arm that is connected to the slider shaft that engages high has cracked or broken preventing you from twisting that shaft to put it into high gear. I have had that happen to me on a racing trans. You could get under the car and while the gear shift is in neutral (be careful!) grab the frontmost of the two shafts sticking out the side of the trans and with a vice grip twist it counterclockwise to lock the trans in high. Then see if you can drive off in high gear. Good luck.

Neat little Falcon BTW. Here's mine:
Great ride you have. What's under the hood ?
Thank you for the tip. Ill follow-up with whatever issue i find under there.

thanks for correction :rolleyes:
Just for interest, what T5 is that attached to the six? I would like a T5 for my crossflow, but the best version in Australia is the AU Falcon 6 cylinder version, its 3.25:1 in first and seems to be OK with V8 torque, the shifter on these is right at the back of the extension housing. They have the shorter version, 10 spline, the output shaft is 28 spline. They are a bit hard to find and generally around $1000, which Im a bit loathe to pay without any warranty that it has no busted parts.

Should be "back." Moving the column shifter down is pushing the rod and lever away from the front of the car.
CCW as FTF posted earlier.

Great ride you have. What's under the hood ?
Thank you for the tip. Ill follow-up with whatever issue i find under there.
When I owned it the Falcon had a 240 six w/4-speed toploader and a 9" rear. Today it resides in Canada and has a 460 ci V8. The family kept the name I bestowed upon it.

Attachments

• my falcon02.jpg
    my falcon02.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 4
Wow...a 460 !! Thats crazy...you must have done a lot of cutting and used a shoehorn to get that in.
As much as I could have dropped a 302 in mine I just didn't want to go the cookie cutter route and opted to follow the Ford Six manual and rebuild the strait six following their guidelines. Just could wait any longer for the Vintage Inlines head which has been out of stock for 2 years now.

Last edited:
Wow...a 460 !! Thats crazy...you must have done a lot of cutting and used a shoehorn to get that in...
Their 460 conversion. Not me.
When I owned it he car had the shock towers removed and a straight axle installed. It also had fiberglass front bumper, hood, fenders, doors, and deck lid, all reportedly from Ford's skunkworks Pan American road race efforts. Tidy little race car.

Back