Top-end and Cam Build

Probably just the blue stuff if any. What should I use? Looks to me like I may have put neverseize on the thing previously. What should I use on the balancer?

I think I installed wrong. I followed the instructions on the gear, but ended up with 116 lobe center instead of the 106 (110 w 4 deg advance). I'm going to pull the timing gears, line it up again, and reinstall. I must be off a tooth or something. Man, that thing is a bugger to install when the oil pan is still on...

I use red but blue should work for what you are doing.
On the damper I just used oil ,some use anti-seeze, no loc-tite on bolt just oil and torqued to spec.

"I think I installed wrong. I followed the instructions on the gear, but ended up with 116 lobe center instead of the 106 (110 w 4 deg advance)."

I'm not sure if that timing set works the same on your motor as my 221 but to get 4° advance on my motor i had to install the cam sprocket one tooth past the timing marks and then set the crank sprocket at the 8° retarded position. It took a fair bit of trial and error before i got it where i wanted it, good luck!

Degreeing can be confusing, see if the events also match your cam card that will double check the center line method .

XMFalcon221":1pnynrfc said:
"I think I installed wrong. I followed the instructions on the gear, but ended up with 116 lobe center instead of the 106 (110 w 4 deg advance)."

I'm not sure if that timing set works the same on your motor as my 221 but to get 4° advance on my motor i had to install the cam sprocket one tooth past the timing marks and then set the crank sprocket at the 8° retarded position. It took a fair bit of trial and error before i got it where i wanted it, good luck!

That is why you must degree. Just move it till right. (y)

Cam card. Pffft. Who needs em!

Ok.....I don't actually have one. I bought this from Will out of the old CI stock. I need to double check things. I measured 0.010 lift short on the intake side. Thinking I had the gauge to pushrod geometry wrong so I'm going to disassemble and reset. Check, doublecheck, then reverify....

OK. So it went much better this morning. I adjusted the cam gear by 1 tooth and re-installed. This time when I measured lobe center, I got 105*. Considering that I'm not using precision equipment here (the cam wheel was printed from my computer onto a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper and glued to a cardboard cake base) I'm going to call it good. The cam is supposed to be a 110* lobe center and I set it up for 4* advance. I'll say that it's sittin where it's supposed to and that I probably have some error in my measurements. As mentioned earlier, this is why we degree the cam.

20160920_123840_zpsuz2ejl7q.jpg

20160920_123846_zpsbgthkrdm.jpg

Now that you're degreed, out of curiosity how far away were you from "Dot to Dot" on the timing chain sprockets ?
DannyG

So I stopped in at Advance today to snag some assembly grease. I wanted something to put on the pushrod ends and the valve tip. They didn't have anything other than assembly lube. Is there a grease (white lithium) or neverseize that I can use instead? I've watched Roy's videos on his 200 build numerous times and he specifically used grease instead of lube in these cases. Any recommendations? Try another store?

use the proper assembly lube. us old school guys used grease in the old days because assembly lube was either non existent or suspect in quality. i remember building engines and packing the oil pump with vaseline to make sure it would pump oil straight away. but these days assembly lube is quite good, and recommended over grease.

rbohm":35my9rfb said:
use the proper assembly lube. us old school guys used grease in the old days because assembly lube was either non existent or suspect in quality. i remember building engines and packing the oil pump with vaseline to make sure it would pump oil straight away. but these days assembly lube is quite good, and recommended over grease.

X2 (y)

Bobcat like posted earlier the oil slinger was discontinued on later models and not needed due to better seal material(found out too late) plus I used one in my first build with the double row chain and although there looked to be adequate clearance the chain flexed just enough for the rivets to catch the edge of the slinger and shred it.

Hmmm...now I'm concerned. I managed to get one and installed it. Hopefully I don't run into the same issue...

Unfortunately i didn't see this until after I already had it all buttoned up and the balancer installed. :banghead:

In other news, I got the head on without any issues at all :beer:

So what do you guys think? Pull the balancer and tear it all apart? I hate to find out AFTER getting the rad back in that I have to pull it. Anyone else w/ experience on this?

cr_bobcat":164fw203 said:
Unfortunately i didn't see this until after I already had it all buttoned up and the balancer installed. :banghead:
In other news, I got the head on without any issues at all :beer:
So what do you guys think? Pull the balancer and tear it all apart? I hate to find out AFTER getting the rad back in that I have to pull it. Anyone else w/ experience on this?
R U talkin bout the spacer that goes behind the cam sprocket?
The one that is "imposible to get after mrkt"?

Chad, this is the one that I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182274828537?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also found some advice from our own rbohm froma couple years ago to forget the thing and move on

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/crankshaft-oil-slinger.880465/

Anyway, so I placed the order for another timing cover gasket set. It should be here Thursday as should my oil pump primer. So in the meantime, I'll spend my evenings getting the rest of the engine put together. I should be able to get the head torqued down tonight. From there I've got the rockers and pushrods to get installed and initially adjusted. If I have to order a different length of pushrod, I need to figure out sooner rather than later.

I also got the Lokar pedal and cable installed. I have an initial setting for the adjustment that is should be fairly close. It's all starting to come together...

20160926_164117_zpsuwknn2rz.jpg

Back