Top-end and Cam Build

Interesting drive into work today. Decided to take the long way in so that I can get that first 500 miles in on the cam before storing her for the winter. I noticed that if I took my foot off the pedal, I would idle at around 70 mph or so. Seemed a bit excessive. I tried pulling up on the gas pedal thinking my accel cable springs were messed up or something. As I get to the stop lights I find out I have to stand on the brakes with both feet to get to a full stop. She just wanted to go go go. So I abandoned my planned route and headed to the nearest big box store (Menards) to get into a parking lot to figure out what the deuce was going on.

Managed to get there but it was a lot of work on the brakes. I shut her down without shifting out of gear as I didn't want to jack the trans up by accidentally popping into reverse or sending the RPM through the roof. I get out and there's smoke rolling everywhere. I really heated those brakes up! I'm sure those guys are a little glazed now. I also noticed that the wire to the temp gauge was not connected. I've been having issues with it slipping off.

I popped the air cleaner off and instantly saw my problem. The backing nut on the dashpot had fallen off and the dashpot itself had worked it's way almost off. Essentially making me idle probably somewhere in the 2k+ rpm range. So I moseyed on into Menards to let her cool a little bit. I snagged a cheapo set of pliers that I could reach down and grab the dashpot nut that was resting on a hot head and get her tightened down. Also used them to tighten the connection to the temp sensor.

So after a 15 min break or so I got her fired back up and running. Idle was back down where it was prior to this whole fiasco. It was quite the interesting adventure but everything seems to be back to normal. I did do some hard stopping in reverse in order to get those self-adjusters reset after all of that.

"...nut on the dashpot…"
in the oldened daze - we called it a < choke pull off > (I believe) & threw the whole thing away (unwisely) but it didn't seem to have any effect on anything (including the idle). A nut lodged in the carb throat unintentially (another story about doin so INtentionally) if that's where it wuz, could keep the rpm up…
The engineered purpose might have been for auto.s only - to keep the idle up when @ a stand-still - in gear (Drive) yet "parked" (@ stop light, etc).
Please correct me if wrong - I'd sure like to hear more about these lill odd balls.

Were they just for automatics?
(I'm a 'grage rat' frm way back…I think when they 1st came out there wuz a TSB & every Ford [certified by factory/dealer demands] mechanic hadda put em on all cars that showed up - no matter auto or manuel. The guys in non-dealer shops (the Texico & Sunoco neighborhood friends I visited) all 'pulled em off ' & tossed in the dust bins…

enjoyoin UR continued saga, glad it's gettin there, thanks for the thread & UR continued posts!

Back