200ci Supercharging or Turbocharging a 200ci

This applies only to 200ci
Likely the 100 Cu. In. bigger 300 Six can make more power stock and they make a bunch more Torque they are great engines there is even some budget speed equipment available too that you can often find used, that is unless you end up going up to a Turbo on the 200 build then that would be a very good combo.

Well, I got to thinking. I could spend a chunk of money on this 200 to soup it up or I could, for a few hundred dollars, swap to a 300 that has as much power stock as my budget 200 build.

Likelihood is, I'll be stuck with a 200 for awhile. There's nothing wrong with them, my mom had one in her old Mustang. It just takes a lot of money to get one where I want it...

I know this is an older post but I thought I would post some real time info on the supercharging & tubo for a 200 .
As I post I'm in the process of getting everything to install a Paxton Supercharger on the 200 in my 67 Vert The Money Pit, no she don't stay broke down all the time nor is she a piece of rusted junk . The fact is it cost money & a lot of it to get a strong running 6 or even just a better running one .

An alumn head which you probably will never find could be 3 or 4 k ,a good 2v modified large log iron head about 2 k . My Used Paxton set me back about $ 1300 all the pulleys & brackets another $850 or so . Those superchargers can just keep going up in cost way above what I spent.

Then you have a fuel system . For either . A 2300 Sniper ,in tank efi pump will set you back about $1500 maybe 2k . You could not go that route & use a carb & some kind of fuel pump that you find that can pump enough gas but you still have to do a good bit to make that set up work on either of the power adders .
I did see on the vintage Mustang facebook page a guy who can make a killer Stainless tigg welded turbo header for $1800 ,don't include anything about the turbo or rest of the exhaust system .

Now the earth shattering heart breaking news, after spending all that crazy money souping up a six cylinder 200 or swapping in a nearley impossible to do 300 6. It's NEVER going to run like a v8 Mustang or Falcon .

You got a 6 you either love them or you don't . Make it run correctley as is,make it safe to drive , then drive it . Don't worry about any ugly because you can take this to the bank ,GOOD LOOKS INSIDE OR OUT WON'T RIDE YOU AROUND THE BLOCK. .Make a long range doable plan for the car then do it . Like the old saying Rome was not built in a day .

Now the earth shattering heart breaking news, after spending all that crazy money souping up a six cylinder 200 or swapping in a nearley impossible to do 300 6. It's NEVER going to run like a v8 Mustang or Falcon .
Not necessarily.
A 200 six with a ported aluminum head and turbocharging can make 500+ and be reliable.
The combination has been posted.

A 200 six with the same head can make 300 hp naturally aspirated and has the weight advantage over a V8

67Straightsix turbo 200 Mustang has the ability to make over 400 hp using a modified stock head with homemade manifolds.
Read his post.

The other advantage to the 200 six is that it gets recognition that the V8s do not get.
Just ask Goldie about her recent encounters with her newly finished performance 200 six Mustang.
She absolutely would not trade it for V8 power.

Last edited:
As most know, I have a supercharged 200ci crossflow six. I did at the time consider a turbo, but came upon the Sprintex screw blower so used that. What I can tell you is that this combination feels like a stocker 351 on the road, loads of torque at any time or rpm. Mine is mostly second hand junk I've acquired, and I was lucky to be able to do all the fit up work myself. I've had V8s in the early Falcons, and whilst they go really well, the six is just as good, without the rough idle etc. The crossflow 200 is a good thing, almost the power of the log head 250 IMO. Worth a thought?RIMG0044.JPG

Last edited:
Not necessarily.
A 200 six with a ported aluminum head and turbocharging can make 500+ and be reliable.
The combination has been posted.

A 200 six with the same head can make 300 hp naturally aspirated and has the weight advantage over a V8

67Straightsix turbo 200 Mustang has the ability to make over 400 hp using a modified stock head with homemade manifolds.
Read his post.

The other advantage to the 200 six is that it gets recognition that the V8s do not get.
Just ask Goldie about her recent encounters with her newly finished performance 200 six Mustang.
She absolutely would not trade it for V8 power.
I have followed Goldie's saga of installing & getting the bugs worked out of her eng . She is running a N/A highley modified eng in her car that Super4ord had built in a machine shop for a specific use , namely drag raceing if I remember correct from our conversations .

I may have mis spoke with what I said about compareing the 6 to a v8 but I stand firm on what I said about it costing a lot of money . Those dollar amounts i posted are not random numbers pulled out of the air . And i did not even get into the machine work cost or the forged pistons you need to be running enough boost to make the numbers you mentioned .
I seen a post a little while back with a dyno sheet 1041 hp at 21 psi of boost . So yes I know it can happen ,but usually once somebody starts down that i want my 200 to kick ass road they are usually done once they realise what it cost . You know like wow that alumn head cost more than i gave for my car .

I have posted on a number of sites in response to people who want more from a 200 . The best bang for the buck is a 2300 Sniper & Dura Spark dist even on a bone stock eng . Most people can't get past that cost let alone all the other cost to get the HP from a 200 .

Me I'll be content to get the Paxton on , I figure my 200 should be as good as a puny v8 . Then when I put the cam,roller rockers, & the fully ported CI alumn head on more like a muscled up v8 not no 500 HP but ok for me . It's only taken about 4 years or so to get everything together & more money than I care to think about. .

Back