200ci Supercharging or Turbocharging a 200ci

This applies only to 200ci
A supercharger is easier to mount than a turbocharger and wastegate system.
Superchargers use a conventional header for an exhaust system.

The very efficient superchargers that are designed for relatively high boost, cost more than a turbocharger setup.

So, I was only going to spend at most $1,000 on the engine. But preferably less than that.
A supercharged engine making enough power to lift the front end of your car is in the $10K range.
That not counting on the power train behind the engine to handle the torque.

So could I even turbocharge for $1,000?
No
The EFI system alone to supply fuel to a turbocharged or supercharged engine is over $1000.
The engine will need to be rebuild with forged pistons and aftermarket camshaft.
It will need to have a good breathing cylinder head which is several thousand $s when completed.
And the list goes on.

I'm not sure that you can do a properly machined stock engine rebuild for a $1000.

My two cents, again.... fix the car so that it's reliable and add to it going forward when you get out of high school and are working. The way to eat an elephant is a bite at a time.

As Kritas says, focus on getting the body, floors and subframe in solid shape so you've got a reliable platform to work with. The 200 six is a good economy engine, but not very conducive to high performance with that log head. So have it running good for the time being, but save your cash and stay away from speed equipment for it. Your best bet for a $1000 budget would be a swap to a Windsor V8. Shop around for a good running SBF. A carbureted engine would be the simplest but if its an EFI version, you'll need the computer and all the wiring too. For my project I bought a complete '94 F150 2WD for $550 so I was able to drive it and evaluate the engine and running gear before purchase and drive home, That way I got pretty much everything needed for the swap.
If you're really obsessed with an inline six, look for a 250 that you can build and boost. But as Pmuller says be prepared to open your wallet wider.
Good luck with your project.

250's aren't very common where I live. I posted a wanted add for a 250 cylinder head, though. And I'd like to keep an inline just because they're unique. I f I swap it'll be for a 300.

Installing a 240 or 300 big Six into an early Falcon or Mustang.

Back