Performance shops for 300 inline 6 turbo build

Hey everyone! I’m looking for a performance shop to rebuild my grandfathers 300 inline 6. And then build a turbo or supercharger system for it. I’m located in York, pa. I don’t have the knowledge to do it myself. Looking to get 400-500 horsepower if possible yet reliable. And not cost me a fortune. Any help is appreciated!

Looking to get 400-500 horsepower if possible yet reliable. And not cost me a fortune. Any help is appreciated!

Good place to start might be figuring out a budget and seeing if it plays well with your power goals. 500 HP is certainly possible, but it's going to take some cash to get there.

Since nobody has piped up about shops, your best bet might be just to call around shops with good Google reviews and explain to them your project, and see if they've worked with a 300 before. It would be good to discuss if it's going to be fuel injected or carbureted, since an old school shop might not want to touch a full build with EFI and turbos. At the end of the day an engine is an engine and most shops would probably be able to build what you need, but it can be piece of mind if they've worked on this particular motor before.

Check with Leedy Automotive
4690 W. Market Street York, PA 17408
Tel: 717-792-3651

A 500 HP turbo 300 six is not a low budget item.
It will require a Promaxx CNC ported head along with Molnar aftermarket connecting rods and custom forged pistons.
You can use the stock 1990 intake and exhaust manifolds along with an aftermarket EFI system like the Holley Terminator X.
You will need to fabricate the exhaust pipes from the two stock exhaust manifolds to the turbocharger and wastegate.
You will need to install an intercooler and run the pipes from the turbocharger to the intercooler then from the intercooler to the throttle body on the stock intake manifold.

It's not!
They used some very expensive components that are not needed for a street level build.

What do you consider low budget?
What is not low budget about it? A set of pistons? They basically did a stock rebuild with a forged 390 Ford piston.

What is not low budget about it? A set of pistons? They basically did a stock rebuild with a forged 390 Ford piston.
The piston and ring set they used are $1170.
They used the Holley Sniper XFLOW which is $1463 by itself not counting the fuel pump system and fuel tank to support 800 HP
Fuel system $534.
The distributor they used is $529
The cylinder head including the stud conversion, pushrod guide plates, rocker arms and pushrods is $2400
Intake manifold $400
The parts I listed above come to $6500.
This still doesn't include the turbocharger and intercooler and all the plumbing between them and to the engine.
Then add the labor and machining cost of the short block including the Comp custom cam and lifters, bearings, gaskets and ARP fasteners

This build was specific to the final goals set by Power Nation for 2022 and should not be used as an example for a turbocharged street engine build.
Their end goal is way more than 500 hp

Last edited:
Check with Leedy Automotive
4690 W. Market Street York, PA 17408
Tel: 717-792-3651

A 500 HP turbo 300 six is not a low budget item.
It will require a Promaxx CNC ported head along with Molnar aftermarket connecting rods and custom forged pistons.
You can use the stock 1990 intake and exhaust manifolds along with an aftermarket EFI system like the Holley Terminator X.
You will need to fabricate the exhaust pipes from the two stock exhaust manifolds to the turbocharger and wastegate.
You will need to install an intercooler and run the pipes from the turbocharger to the intercooler then from the intercooler to the throttle body on the stock intake manifold.
I'm looking for pics of turbo'd manifolds,, how many ya got?

I'm looking for pics of turbo'd manifolds,, how many ya got?
Here is one using the EFI exhaust manifolds.

Last edited:
Right, as you have suggested. The trouble I am having is not having access to a welder and I am finding it somewhat difficult to justify buying one when I only have this project in mind. I have done a fair amount of research on tig welding and machines. I may just break down and buy a Chinese welder, I can't seam to find any used in my area. That adds about a thousand dollars plus to my build. I would love to just have an exhaust shop make the piece I pieces I need but the exhaust shops around here are so wary of breaking emissions laws it's ridiculous. I could not even get them to do a cat'd exhaust after headers. I guess I do have access to a mig welder about 3 hours away, maybe I can get my friend to bring the welder and his nifty new plasma cutter up to me! I am still putting together my first shop, and it's a one car garage with no outlets... it has power now but I had to get creative...

As the original request was for 400 to 500 hp, reliability and cheap, I would look more at what would be required for 400 hp, not 500. As the hp and reliability curves go in opposite directions, better to limit the hp target. At least with a turbo system you can adjust or switch the boost control to set a lower boost limit for normal driving and save the big hp for only when you have to prove it.

Another possibility would be to look at a blower. I believe Aussiespeed now has a blower manifold and may have a drive kit. This might be more of a bolt-on system and eliminate the exhaust fabrication and intake plumbing. Or a centrifugal blower option too.

With enough boost you may be able to meet the target without much head work or big valves and hot cams. At least try that first.

Did you find any shops that you are looking to go forward with? I'm right down in Hanover and planning almost the same thing for my 96 F150.

Back