200ci Oil Filter Blew at 1st Start up

This applies only to 200ci

Fred C

I had my 1966 200 ci professionally rebuilt. My mechanic did the first start up yesterday and the Wix Oil Filter Blew. Thinking it could have just been a defective oil filter he replaced the filter with a second Wix filter which he had for the engine. This filter also blew. Has anyone had a issue such as this one before.

Need some help here
Thanks

Fred C

I had my 1966 200 ci professionally rebuilt. My mechanic did the first start up yesterday and the Wix Oil Filter Blew. Thinking it could have just been a defective oil filter he replaced the filter with a second Wix filter which he had for the engine. This filter also blew. Has anyone had a issue such as this one before.

Need some help here
Thanks

Fred C
YES. The oil pump bypass valve is stuck closed. The last person who posted with this problem (on a 223) installed a mechanical OP gauge and in the first second after fire off it blew it up, pegging past 100 psi. instantly. The oil pump will have to be removed and the bypass unstuck. Wouldn't try to crank it again until then.

FYI even though it doesn't apply here. My 86 2.8 Camaro was showing the oil light on harsh braking and fast turning with about 110k miles. The pickup had fallen out of the oil pump. I replaced the pump at the time and when I rebuilt the engine a mig welder easily tacked the steel pickup to the cast pump

Once you get your oil pump check valve fixed, i would recommend a better oil filter.
Wix is poor quality.
Read the section on oil filters in this section of the forum.

I will not put a engine in the car until I spin the pump and check for proper oil flow and pressure.
Too many times something is not right and a lot easier to fix at that time.

Back