Im curious as to how much pressure it takes to run a T3

A

Anonymous

I have a 300 six. I was thinking of moding it up with the offenhauser 4 barrel intake I have with a 390 cfm holley carb. I have some junkie ass brand new out of the box hedman headers that I was thinking of cutting up and making them out to hold 2 t3 turbos, but I was wondering if 3 exhaut tubes per one turbo would be enough to get them to spinning in max perfromance. Its just an idea that Ive had lurking in my head for awhile now. Also do turbos that are oil cooled pressure the oil out and suck it in??? Thanks guys. On another note the 300 six is in my 81 f100.

The oil routing is the easy question. Tee into the oil pressure gage sender port and run an oil line to the turbo from there. Once the oil leaves the turbo, it must ALWAYS run downhill and must return to the engine at a point above the oil level in the sump. Any backpressure whatsoever in the oil return line will cook the turbo in very short order.

Question 2, the pair of T03s. There are a LOT of different turbos built on a T03 housing. A pair of smaller trimmed compressors would work nicely on a 300 if you can get turbines with a small enough A/R to spool them up quickly enough. You will probably find that headers are not nearly strong enough for a turbo nor do they mount it in a good location for proper oiling

Would I be able to place the turbos in any direction or do the exhaust and inlet have to be latteral? I was thinking of placing them vertical so that it would save space or horizontal. Also I can fab the headers so the will hold the turbos where ever I want them to. I have all the means and tools to do so at work heheheeee. But in other words I need to find turbos with a smaller A/R than what??? Whats pretty typical? Thanks for the info
:D

I'm only guessing here but using the compressor maps at Ray Hall's site, it looks like either a pair of 40 or 45 trimmed T03s would work, depending on how much boost you're looking to run. The smallest compressor A/R appears to be a .48 which might possibly spool up too fast and cause the compressor to surge.

AFAIK the turbo pretty much required a horizontal shaft, the bearings aren't designed for huge amounts of thrust.

Back