Dyno Results for 250-2V

73GreenMachine

Ok, I'll say upfront that this is not for my car, but one of my friends with a 250-2V in a TC Cortina who isn't a member of the site (I hope he doesn't mind me posting lol).

Engine is a reconditioned bottom end with I believe stock pistons, but a full freshen up including rings, bearings, machining etc. The stock cam has been swapped for a Crow 280 degree cam (single pattern I think second from the wildest cam on Crow's hydraulic list) and adjustable dual roller timing chain. The head has also been reconditioned, but is unmodified apart from Crow heavy duty valve springs. Standard 2V manifold with reconditioned with the original Stromberg WW 2 barrel carby. It also has a set of (Pacemaker?) extractors and a 2 1/4 inch exhaust system. It is also running an XF Falcon distributor and high energy coil. Gearbox was a 4 speed manual, running with a 2.77:1 open wheel diff.

He got it dynoed today and it originally pulled around 80rwkw, but after tuning got 101.7kw at the wheels. He said it was making good power until around 5000rpm and revved well.

Just thought I'd put this up so that we have a bit more data in the archives on the good old Ford Six.

addo":2w1zz7ro said:
130-odd RWHP isn't too bad.

What's your project doing?

Yeah I thought it was pretty good. Limiting factors I would say would be the exhaust runners and the size of the carby. Switching to a 350 Holley and doing some head work might yield another 10kw.

As for my car, things are finally starting to come together. I got the motor back from the shop recently, I have got the Celica 5 speed ready, the new(balanced) tailshaft made and the new clutch setup done.

This time I kinda went all out with the log motor, hence the long post. Its a 250 with a stroke matched and indexed crank, fully balanced rotating assembly, 200 rods with the race series ACL pistons (dished), 282 degree crow hydraulic cam, the same worked head as last time (ported, big valves, 2 1/8" intake hole etc) except with EA falcon stem seals, EB flywheel with 10" Extreme heavy duty clutch and 255mm Toyota organic plate, Powerbond EF Falcon harmonic balancer, EA alternator conversion, Davies Craig electric water pump with custom controller, custom drive belt setup (so I won't throw belts anymore!), XD dizzy (which I made the bush for and used the hardened crow gear) with HEC716 coil, twin 10" thermos on a controller, custom 6 into 2 extractors with twin 2 or 2 1/4 inch exhaust(will do this after the motor is in), dedicated LPG system with Nissan 2.4L throttle body, Impco CA250 mixer, L series Converter, 3" Redline pod filter all on a custom adapter. I think thats the lot lol.

Fingers crossed it will be in the car in the next few weeks. I'm hoping for around 130-140rwkw (although this might be too high), but we will see. The limiting factor will obviously be the log head.

If I don't get the power, I will cut off the log and build a custom intake plenum I'm designing and use an Impco 425 mixer and E series converter. I might weld up and reshape the exhaust runners while I'm there too.

With any luck after all of this I might get into the 13s on street tyres like I set out to do about 4 years ago!

73 greenmachine :

re the bush for the xd dizzy you made up - any details on it ?

as i understand it it should have a wall thickness of 0.010" to take up the 20 thou diff in diameter? - did you just push this into the block? was it steel or bronz/oilite material?

thanks addo - i thought it was 20 thou OD diff - must check before i write in future

brett

BTW Brett i am a member of this forum :p

You didn't do too bad.. but you got a few specs wrong and left some out.

I've just updated the info for my Cortina on my website. If anyones interested you can view my car and full specs here:

http://www.cortinamk3.com/featured_bens.htm

One of you Corty blokes should rescue the car down my street. Poor old bronzy-coloured sedan with a 250 and beige vinyl roof; not much rust apparent...

skeet3r":st6f0pq1 said:
BTW Brett i am a member of this forum :p

Lol sorry, I hope I didn't steal your thunder. Congrats on having a running Cortina, unlike someone else I know...me!

gb500":st6f0pq1 said:
re the bush for the xd dizzy you made up - any details on it ?

Yeah, I racked my brains for a day or so to try to remember what I did cos it's been a while. To do it, you use the Crow hardened gear with the larger of the two internal diameters, ie the one for the precrossflow (part number DG2a I think). This is so that the sleeve goes between the gear and the shaft, helping to fasten it all together. Then you pull the dizzy apart so you can get to the bottom shaft, the one that the gear is attached to and you put it in a lathe and turn it down to a nice nominal diameter that you have a drill and reamer for. Then, I machined down the outside diameter to suit the hardened gear. Since I had access to a rotary surface grinding machine, I also ran that over it to make for a nicely toleranced fit. Put a hole in the sleeve where the gear pin goes through, bolt it all back together and you are done.

addo":st6f0pq1 said:
One of you Corty blokes should rescue the car down my street. Poor old bronzy-coloured sedan with a 250 and beige vinyl roof; not much rust apparent...

If you were in Adelaide and it was a TC , I'd probably take you up on that offer. The rust would probably blend in well with the bronzy coloured paint lol, no need for a respray! [/quote]

greenmachine - thanks for the reply - - good info on the bush for the dist shaft.
i had always assumed that the bush went in the block - - luckily i didnt go off and do it that way.

Brett
melb

Good old fashioned hp.

I've just got my 2v in last week. It hasn't been dynoed, but i'm real curios as to what its putting out.

Details of build (as my memory goes) are:-
Heavily ported and polished head,
biggest valves that would fit in the head,
manifold ports matched
Mild Crow Cam 214degrees@0.050"
40 thou over pistons,
balanced bottem end
Romac balancer
Double row timing chain,
MSD 6A ignition and blaster coil,
Holley 500 with 9x2inch filter
Twin 2inch exhaust (custom jobbie)
9.5 comp

Its all bolted up to a stock BW35 with a 2.77 open diff, which makes it a little sluggish down low, but take it over 2800rpm and it pulls like a twelve year old. Accel. cable is a modified XD one, and a TF booster bracket and rod were used.

Auto is temporary (thank God) and I'll soon be converting to an alloy case supra 5 speed with either a 2.92 or 3.23 lsd. Should be craploads better when i've done this. Also got a balanced flywheel and pplate with the motor.

Anyone care to have a stab at what sort of power it would be producing?

130KW at flywheel sounds about right. The original power output was 127KW using the old measurement which I recall was determined without ancilliaries on the engine.

Back