Cylinder head stuck

A

Anonymous

Can't get the head off my 1987 258 cid Jeep six. All bolts out, manifold and brackets off..... Any tips?

i had a junk V8 that i had a hard time pulling the head off
took a couple methods to get it off

basically, it's prolly stuck to the head gasket which is cemented to the block
i took a head bolt and stuck it about an inch into the head, then connected a pipe to it to use as a pry bar, pulled on it for a while (that took one side off)
the other side, i had to pry on it and had a friend take a rubber hammer (a lead hammer would work too, just something that won't damage the engine), and while i was prying he gave the head a couple whacks
popped right off and almost dumped me on my butt

thanks --

got a good dead blow hammer

whacked it about 10 times each side

got a stiff putty knife and had my son tap it into the gasket while I pulled on the pry bar.... presto chango

Now how the hell do I get the lifters out?

that'll do it

as for lifters
very strong magnet down the lifter hole, however these tend to snag the block and don't work too well, couple that with the fact that the lifters will prolly have some gunk attached...
remove pan, push lifters out from bottom

there might be a couple other ways
is the engine in the vehicle?

Engine in vehicle, would prefer to leave pan on if I can....

Tried magnet -- couldn't get it down in the block far enough.....

Would have to pull cam to force them out bottom, and FSM says to pull ifters up before removing cam... must be a special tool.....

If all else failes use a compession gauge fitting and attach an air hose from your compressor at about 125 psi to a spark plug hole. With a 3.5 " bore thats 1374 lb of force. That should do it. Stand back!

pmeisel
My Chevy 235 I6 had a side plate cover that when removed exposed the lifter gallery. Did you check to see if yours has the same.
69.5mav

pretty cool to see someone else from vermilion here on the message board! just wondering how the head job was coming. if you need any help, feel free to ask!

6bangerbill":29wnfldh said:
If all else failes use a compession gauge fitting and attach an air hose from your compressor at about 125 psi to a spark plug hole. With a 3.5 " bore thats 1374 lb of force. That should do it. Stand back!

This is a version of what i was gonna say. Just crank it over that would be about 100 psi in every hole.

drop the push rods and rockers back in. No head bolts. crank it (with plugs in) It will hop of the block!

Did that back in the day on my old 240 powered van.

For the lifters? They make tools for that.

Back