All Small Six eBay Header install on Large Log head

This relates to all small sixes

marquis83

Anyone know offhand what length bolts/studs work best for a header on a large log head?

I have some spare manifold bolts from a 302 that seem to work but they might be too long.

My header will be arriving in 2 days I got it for $120.

Looking forward to a leak free exhaust system.

The old gasket was completed rusted in half when I took it apart.

Will update on Tuesday with results.

I feel that, I had to tilt the head on top of the motor to get all those bolts out of the smog manifold boat anchor

You won’t really know how long( or short ) your bolts need to be until you get your headers and see how thick the mounting flange is. I would run a tap down the threads in the head, then you will know how deep the threads are, add the flange, minus a little so they don’t bottom out before they get tight.
You really get that feeling when you do header bolts on an FE motor in a Mustang🤨. No re- torquing them unless you pull the motor. And yes, the headers have to be installed before the motor is dropped in.

I prefer working on a motor outside the car to in the car any day.

I've got some miles on my spine from doing this stuff for 15 years.

Already ran into an issue, the new header will not clear the ac compressor on the car.

The ac don't work anyway so it looks like i'm gonna have to delete that too.

I think I remember that the compressor mount has to be modified. Haven’t got that far on my project.

That's a good idea. Think it my case its gonna be more attainable to just get the shorter belt and remove the ac.

I still have ac in the mustang.

Made a bit of progress on the header install today. I should have removed the 3 inch studs from the large log head when it was off the car.

Got one off with vice grips and heat, the other one wouldn't budge. Soaking in pb blaster

I see two different headers on eBay.
On one set the #6 tube will interfere with the starter.
The other set has a sharper bend + longer tube off the #6 header flange so it clears the the starter no problem.

This is the one I got, I have the low mount starter so I don't know that it would be an issue with mine

Made a bit of progress on the header install today. I should have removed the 3 inch studs from the large log head when it was off the car.

Got one off with vice grips and heat, the other one wouldn't budge. Soaking in pb blaster
Then before you try again, smack the end of the stud with a healthy hammer as hard as you dare. We used to to that, the theory is it will break the rust loose in the threads and might help🤞

Then before you try again, smack the end of the stud with a healthy hammer as hard as you dare. We used to to that, the theory is it will break the rust loose in the threads and might help🤞
That was one of the first things I tried. I ended up buying this stud extractor (oem tools 25438) from autozone, was worried that it was gonna break but it came out with some heat and pb blaster.

tool.png

One thing I forgot about was the egr hole on the head. It's looking like a dorman 555-012 expansion plug would fit in the hole.

Or I cut the flange off the egr and flip it around for a diy block off plate.

Back