64 F100 with a 223 main seal?

brian f100

Hi all, I have a 64 F100 with a 223. Does anyone know where i can get info on how to replace the rear main seal? Anyone know the procedure and part #s Thanks!

The original was a "rope" style seal which had a tendency to leak as I'm sure you're aware. FEL-PRO BS61413 is a two piece rubber seal set that looks like it's designed to replace the original equipment. It comes with instructions and, looks like, some tools to help you along.

Ideally you should remove the engine, turn it upside down and remove the crankshaft but that's not the most practical procedure if you just want to change the seal in a running truck. Basically the process (engine in truck) is remove the oil pan, loosen all main cap bolts, remove the rear main cap, and work the seal around the crankshaft. Work the old seal out, then the new seal in. It is not easy or foolproof and you must be careful not to damage the crankshaft. I think the last time I did one, I went to the hobby store and bought an assortment of brass stock to use as tools for driving the seal around. A look around for a video on the subject might net you more useful information than my brief description.

Lou Manglass

The original was a "rope" style seal which had a tendency to leak as I'm sure you're aware. FEL-PRO BS61413 is a two piece rubber seal set that looks like it's designed to replace the original equipment. It comes with instructions and, looks like, some tools to help you along.

Ideally you should remove the engine, turn it upside down and remove the crankshaft but that's not the most practical procedure if you just want to change the seal in a running truck. Basically the process (engine in truck) is remove the oil pan, loosen all main cap bolts, remove the rear main cap, and work the seal around the crankshaft. Work the old seal out, then the new seal in. It is not easy or foolproof and you must be careful not to damage the crankshaft. I think the last time I did one, I went to the hobby store and bought an assortment of brass stock to use as tools for driving the seal around. A look around for a video on the subject might net you more useful information than my brief description.

Lou Manglass
Thank you so much! the motor is out and on an engine stand. when i turn it up side down, take off the oil pan. would it be easier to pull the crank shaft, or will that tool make it to where i can take out the old and put in the new? again THANKS!

X2 Here is the same seal Part number i looked up for that newer type neoprene seal.

you don’t need to pull the crankshaft just to install the rear main seal. Remove the rear cap and with the engine on a stand you can either loose up all the other main caps or remove them: you want to be able to lift the rear of the crankshaft up just a little so the old seal can be removed and the new seal can side back in again. Clean the seal grove good and side in the new seal. Good luck

Thanks!!! i flipped the motor up side down, i removed the oil pan, removed the bottom half seal unit. i see the round seal that goes around the crankshaft, and visually it looks fine. there are 2 straight seals on each side of the main seal unit . 1 is broken and missing about half the seal. to replace the side seals on the bottom half, i think i need to take out the crankshaft. I think? any thoughts? THANKS! i am also thinking of bring a sissy and just replace the bottom half, side seal and putting it back together and pray! CHECK THAT! i re looked and the bottom module has the round half seal that goes around the crankshaft and 1 straight seals on each side. the top is the block, no side seals needed. just the other half seal. now i need to figure out how to remove and replace that top half seal without removing the crankshaft. some on youtube say to tap the old one out and the tap the new one in. any input?

Last edited:
X2 Here is the same seal Part number i looked up for that newer type neoprene seal.

you don’t need to pull the crankshaft just to install the rear main seal. Remove the rear cap and with the engine on a stand you can either loose up all the other main caps or remove them: you want to be able to lift the rear of the crankshaft up just a little so the old seal can be removed and the new seal can side back in again. Clean the seal grove good and side in the new seal. Good luck
thanks!!

Thanks!!! i flipped the motor up side down, i removed the oil pan, removed the bottom half seal unit. i see the round seal that goes around the crankshaft, and visually it looks fine. there are 2 straight seals on each side of the main seal unit . 1 is broken and missing about half the seal. to replace the side seals on the bottom half, i think i need to take out the crankshaft. I think? any thoughts? THANKS! i am also thinking of bring a sissy and just replace the bottom half, side seal and putting it back together and pray! CHECK THAT! i re looked and the bottom module has the round half seal that goes around the crankshaft and 1 straight seals on each side. the top is the block, no side seals needed. just the other half seal. now i need to figure out how to remove and replace that top half seal without removing the crankshaft. some on youtube say to tap the old one out and the tap the new one in. any input?
Did you ID the seal type you have the old Rope or the newer Neoprene one? You do not need to remove the crankshaft to replace the bottom seal unless you want to. Yes the old Rope type seals can sometimes be driven out or you can use a sheet metal screw to turn into them and then use some pliers to pull them out. the Neoprene seals can be driven out.

Do not go for just replacing the seal in the rear main cap, you might soon be taking it all back apart again. With your engine upside down on an engine stand this job is very easy to do. Remove each of the other main caps keep them in order, with the caps off the crankshaft can be lifted up enough to remove the blocks half seal. You can use a bar some rope or a chain hooked up to the crankshaft flange and one of the flywheel bolts to lift that end of the crankshaft up with a cable come along or chain hoist whatever you have to use. once you have the block seal in place put some oil or light grease on the lip and lower the crankshaft down again. Install the new seal into the rear main cap and put a small dab of RTV on the seal ends. Use some oil or light grease (libraplate white Lithium grease) on all the bearings then Install all the main bearing caps, on the rear main cap you slide the side seals into the cap first then drive the nails into the center of the side seals to tighten them up. oh and if you happen to still have an old Rope type seal in the rear main cap you need to remove the nail out of the cap before you can use the above neoprene type seal. Good luck

As bubba22349 said, with the engine out, upside down, and bearing caps off you should be able to just about slide the old seal out and rotate the new one in. If you still have the rope seal, it might require a little tugging with a pair of pliers. As long as the crankshaft is clear of the seal it should go smoothly. Whatever you do, just be careful not to nick up the bearings or the crankshaft itself.

Lou Manglass

As bubba22349 said, with the engine out, upside down, and bearing caps off you should be able to just about slide the old seal out and rotate the new one in. If you still have the rope seal, it might require a little tugging with a pair of pliers. As long as the crankshaft is clear of the seal it should go smoothly. Whatever you do, just be careful not to nick up the bearings or the crankshaft itself.

Lou Manglass
thanks! im waiting for the seals to get delivered. i will keep you all posted.

Back